Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad Rattling & Knocking Noise ?????

jimmygixer

I have all of a sudden bad rattling & knocking noise coming from either my alternator or alternator pulley. The shaft coming from the alt doesnt seem to be out of order and has no unusual movement. When the car is running if i stop the shaft via the weight inbetween the alt and the belt pulley i get the noise at its worst. As it gets back up to speed it gets less. I noticed that the pulley has a bit of side to side movement, is this normal?

Im assuming because of the most noise when the shaft is not moving when the pully is moving, that the pulley clutch is at fault, any ideas?

I can get the pulley off as i dont have the tool with the small splines, any other ways?

not bad going, did you rectify this yourself or with an indie dealer? did they replace or tighten the pulley?

Feel free to mark this thread resolved, so that if anyone else comes across it, they know what the fix is :D

not bad going, did you rectify this yourself or with an indie dealer? did they replace or tighten the pulley?

Feel free to mark this thread resolved, so that if anyone else comes across it, they know what the fix is :D

Yea i fixed it myself by just replacing the pulley. Can be hard to tell its the problem though as the old one had very little side movement (New one had no side movement in the bearing whatsoever)and you wouldn't think there was a clutch inside the pulley unless you know about it.

glad you got it resolved! dont suppose you threw together a how to on it? ;)

I have all of a sudden bad rattling & knocking noise coming from either my alternator or alternator pulley. The shaft coming from the alt doesnt seem to be out of order and has no unusual movement. When the car is running if i stop the shaft via the weight inbetween the alt and the belt pulley i get the noise at its worst. As it gets back up to speed it gets less. I noticed that the pulley has a bit of side to side movement, is this normal?

Im assuming because of the most noise when the shaft is not moving when the pully is moving, that the pulley clutch is at fault, any ideas?

I can get the pulley off as i dont have the tool with the small splines, any other ways?

Got sorted, the problem was the alternator pulley.

Yea i fixed it myself by just replacing the pulley. Can be hard to tell its the problem though as the old one had very little side movement (New one had no side movement in the bearing whatsoever)and you wouldn't think there was a clutch inside the pulley unless you know about it.

glad you got it resolved! dont suppose you threw together a how to on it? ;)

Easy Fix.

Jack the front of the car up to give good access.

Put a spanner on the belt tensioner pulley and push towards the back of the car (clockwise). This will take the tension of the belt for you to remove it from the Alternator pulley.

Then find the part behind the pulley on the alternator shaft which has square sides for a spanner (21mm approx) to slip onto, so you can hold the alt shaft in place.

Now remove the black round cover on the face of the alt pulley and put the splined alt pulley tool into the center of it.

Then just loosen the alt pulley anti clockwise with a spanner or socket on the splined tool, while holding the other spanner in place to stop the alt shaft spinning.

Same method in reverse to fit new one.

Job Done, hopefully now nice and quiet again. :D

Very Nice, If you wish I can make it a guide for you?

Very Nice, If you wish I can make it a guide for you?

Yea no problem, i didn't know how to do it.

Cheers

If you look at the bottom of your post, you may have a Make Guide option alongside Quotes etc, if not it may be a mod feature only, but I shall make this for you now, and if you do have the option to later add pictures or further details, you can edit it from thereon.