Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt snapped

lsabin73

Hi,

my timing belt snapped on me, was doing 70mph on M5, no noise what so ever just died. Would this have bent the valves or not. New timing belt being fitted, cams and crankshaft all set up correctly, but engine won't fire up. Would a compression test confirm this, whats the easiest and cheapest solution to sort it out.

Cheers Lee

i would say yes its bent the valves..like you say do a compression check to make sure..they want to be over 100psi at least on each cylinder.

i would say yes its bent the valves..like you say do a compression check to make sure..they want to be over 100psi at least on each cylinder.
I had a timing belt let go on my Rover ten years or so ago. No damage other than needing a new timing belt.

Its unlikely to get away with no serious damage, but not impossible.

at 70mph i would say you have damaged some valves due to the sheer enurchur of the engine speed.

at 70mph i would say you have damaged some valves due to the sheer enurchur of the engine speed.

i would say so as engine won't fire up

sound like head off :(

at 70mph i would say you have damaged some valves due to the sheer enurchur {INERTIA} of the engine speed.

SEE ME AFTER SCHOOL

LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Some engines u get away with timing belts snapping because they're made with clearance so if the belt snaps the valves don't come down on the top of the pistons,.... Not too sure about fords though but I think you'll have some bent valves at the very least.

• 1 month later...

I would have to say IMO judging by what you have said unfortunately, yes the valves have.

Sorry to hear.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club