Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Uk Winter 2013/14

The Dark Knight

Despite having bought winter tyres (not fitted yet) and big scare stories about a cold winter, I am going to make my prediction here:

We are in for a seriously mild winter! Forget major snow because there will hardly be a frost. Winter will be dominated by mild temps and rain, almost t-shirt weather. Yes there will be the odd cold spell perhaps in January but it won't last long because mild air will charge in again.

I hope I'm wrong because I love snow and cold (like a big kid lol). If I'm wrong and we get good snow and cold, I will donate £5 to this forum. If it gets mega cold along the lines of 2010, I think £10. If it's biblical like 62/63, it's £20.

I am confident I will not have to donate however...

• Like 2

I think it'll be a bad winter personally.

Increased ice in the North means Northern winds will be colder, a cool Gulf Stream means that weather patterns relying on the Gulf will be cooler, and the Jet Stream patterns are quite terrible and aren't even getting to the South of England. This means bad times.

I hope you are right big Dave. Nothing like a good snowfall and crisp frost. I will stick to my guns though...

I hope its going to be a miserable winter - not because I want it to be miserable, but because I bought some Tex Chain Snow Socks yesterday from Asda, and since I have bought the darned things, I want to be able to use them, and I want them to be epic on my car!

• Like 1

Hmmm, best of luck with those. They are effective but can only be used where there is actual snow coverage on the road and the moment you reach the main road where the tarmac returns, they get shredded unless you remove them. A bit of a faff taking them off and putting them on apparently.

Naturally you save shed loads of money though compared to winter tyres. The only reason I could afford my contis was because I took out a slightly larger loan than I needed for Uni so I could get a lower rate. The extra cash was duly invested.

• Like 1

I hope it stays sunny all winter - I hate rust.

• Like 1

Know what you mean Dave, I think these allow you to drive on unsnown roads at up to 25 mph, so its not a case of touch the black and get them off, but if I ever get stuck in a snow or ice pit, its a bit more to help me get out of there!

• Like 1

You will certainly be better off with them than struggling without. Never ceases to amaze me how many idiots take to the snowy roads in RWD cars on summer tyres and expect to make progress!

• Like 1

haha yeah they can be a tad foolish...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't mind it if the OP's prediction turns out right...

If the weather becomes bad - I probably won't bother with the car, and catch the stupid bus instead.

And also, I couldn't get enough of this summer, I like warm weather. B)

• Like 1

You will certainly be better off with them than struggling without. Never ceases to amaze me how many idiots take to the snowy roads in RWD cars on summer tyres and expect to make progress!

my sprinter gets further than any other 2wd i know of in the snow its bang on the weight limit 3.5 ton must help with the traction or something it really suprised me last year and i wont be digging the car out again this year for that reason

we'll probably get a week or maybe two of snow and the country will come to a standstill and all the bread and milk will be gone and the news will hype it up that the worlds ending then out pops spring :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my prediction is ringing true so far! Although it pains me to say it, we are heading for the mildest December since 1988 with no let up from the Atlantic wind and mild temps.

I can't see anything in the pipeline other than further mild, wind and rain. :angry:

• Like 1

Dave I want you to be 100% right with this prediction as I get my new ST2 in January and don't fancy tippy toeing around in that when I should be thrashing it lol. Seriously though I certainly don't want to risk pranging it or a wheel on a kerb

A month ago i was expecting a crazy winter aswell but now i'm unsure, still early days and tbh we only need a few hours of snow and it's game on.

ATM i'm running temp winter tyres not sure yet on purchasing rather expensive yet good Continental winter tyres for my steel rims!

Too much prep has gone into this winter for there be no snow, early days boys early days!

BTW last year i saw a FWD sprinter go up a hill FWD cars on summer tyres could not... i was shocked myself

Dave I want you to be 100% right with this prediction as I get my new ST2 in January and don't fancy tippy toeing around in that when I should be thrashing it lol. Seriously though I certainly don't want to risk pranging it or a wheel on a kerb

I want the snow to test out the Conti TS850 winter tyres! Fit those and your ST will be awesome in snow

I second that :lol: im not looking forward to being cautious for my first winter in the ST!

My Focus on 18"s was dreadful last year, granted my previous fiesta on 17"s did fare (slightly) better but wondering if the extra torque + sharp throttle response is going to be a !Removed!!

Im not sure if the chipped grey alloys will ever be a good look :blink:

This is why I am glad I only invested in snow socks, a darned sight cheaper than the tyres! iol

• Like 1

So tempted to use snow tyres, though pretty sure they'd be illegal >_>

I've yet to start wearing a jumper. It's been far to warm for that!

My Missus thinks I'm insane and I should start wearing one "because it's the middle of !Removed! December and people are looking at you like your an idiot" :lol:

Quite dissapointed as I love the freezing cold, dry cripsy mornings.

Leave my house at 5:30am to get to work the other side of the Bridge at 7:30am and get to watch the sun rise all the way there!

But alas... all that we've had to far is clouds and rain.

It's still to warm to consider winter tyres usefull! They don't come into their own till 7°c and blow. Today it was 8°c when I woke up and got in the car!

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning ways that I could make the load bay of The Van all nice and comfy so that if I did get caught out in the snow, I'd have a cozy lil' bed in the back.

...then I worked out that if I shut the tailgate, I'd have no way of getting out again (The Van has a full height bulkhead)!!! I'd be shut in my own personal comfy cave.

Doh!!

:D

You should have bought the american version, some (all?) vehicles over there have inside handles to let people locked in the boot escape!

The mild, wet and windy weather rolls on! Whilst the t-shirt aspect of my forecast may be exaggerated, the mild temps aren't! You can forget snow and ice this winter. I have seen half a dozen frosts at the most this winter.

Decades after the cold winter of 62/63, people still refer to it as if we don't know what cold is these days. In decades to come, people will talk of the winter of 13/14 as an example of mild, wet and windy weather with no real snow to speak of.

This is shaping up to be a landmark mild winter by which all others will be measured.

• Like 1