Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Mk Iii Mondeo Tdci Cut Out While Driving...not Starting

fergua

Hi everyone. I'm new here so if I don't format this right please be patient.

I have a Mk III 2.0 TDCi with 109000 on the clock. Bit slower than normal to start for the last couple of weeks and today while I was doing 30mph the engine died. Managed to get in to the side and up on curb.

• She won't start.
  • Glow plug illuminates and extinguishes normally but flashes while I try to start the engine
  • Engine warning light is off except when key being turned
  • She tries to start up but doesn't catch
  • I had some issues last year with the glow-plug lamp coming on and off and not even trying to start but these were cured by blanking out the EGR.
  • Tank is half-full and hasn't been topped up recently
  • I have checked for anything loos or any obviously damaged cables but don't see any

I tried to find similar issues on the forum and some have suggested it could be the cam sensor and I'll try to pick one of these up on Monday. Is there anything else I should be thinking about that could be swapped out relatively easily by me with the help of a (more mechanically minded) friend??

Thanks for the help.

f

Hello and welcome to the forum

The glow plug flashing when you try to start the engine is an ominous sign - it is used as an EML (engine management light)

This may mean the injectors are kaput - an expensive proposition

If you get the codes read / buy or aqquire a code reader, as you have a 2002 TDCI a regular OBD11 code reader will not work, (or if you take it to a garage/ mechanic they may not be able to read the codes ) you will have to get a Ford- protocol compatible OBD1 code reader, (an F-super or a Bluefin handset)

Once you get the codes you will have an idea what is happening - it may be a good idea to do this before buying anything you don't need

In the meantime you can do the "service" items like air filter, fuel filter (Ford or premium brand, eg Bosch) oil/ filter change

Did you fit a solid blanking plate and was it aluminium?

Is the EGR valve at the back, right of the engine or the front, left?

Some of the earlier Mondeos have different inlet manifolds, turbos (fixed vane instead of variable etc) front or rear EGRs etc etc - if you took some pictures on the engine with the cover off, i could tell you which one you have - so you get the right bits

Thanks for that. If I remember rightly the EGR valve was front left and it was a solid blanking plate..don't remember what metal.

I can't get in touch with my mechanically minded pal until Monday, but I think he has the right device to read the codes so I'll do that first as you suggest and go from there.

Thanks

f

Thanks for that. If I remember rightly the EGR valve was front left and it was a solid blanking plate..don't remember what metal.

I can't get in touch with my mechanically minded pal until Monday, but I think he has the right device to read the codes so I'll do that first as you suggest and go from there.

Thanks

f

If your EGR valve is front left you have a front-mounted EGR - the same as the later type of inlet manifolds - like this -

post-38050-0-97167000-1382279867_thumb.j

If you look at the back, you can see the pneumatic turbo actuator, it is longditudinal (front-to-back) in the picture, this is a VNT/ variable vane turbo, if it was transverse (side-to-side) it would be a fixed-vane type, the different types are not interchangable and you have to get like-for-like (or its a lot of hassle)

You have the Euro3 compliant engine with the pnumatic actuator and non- electronic EGR - you can blank the EGR (with a solid plate) with no problems, (no EMLs engine management lights- will come on) - aluninium plates have been known to melt/ burn through (lower melting point than steel) but it is less likely on a front-EGR (rear EGRs run hotter - closer to exhaust manifold/ valves)

You probably have the TDCI 130ps - the ECU and injectors are also different to later models and yours is pre- OBD11/ not fully OBD11 compliant, (as mentioned in a previous post) even though the plug is the same

most mk3 mondeo's when read have cam-sensor position sensor reading as low,so dont let this throw you off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club