Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Nut/bolt Torque

fatgeezer

Lots of conflicting information on the internet about the torque setting for a MK1 Focus with standard alloy wheels. Any ideas?.

• Like 1

130nm ford torque settings

Arthur where does this come from mate? just curious as i two have seen very conflicting info about wheel nut torque settings. What size wheel is that for?

• Like 1

The following information is based on information from the latest version of the Ford Etis workshop program.

For the Focus MK1 Ford prescribes a torque of 95Nm to fasten the wheelnuts. There are no different torque settings mentioned for alloy and steel wheels.

For the Focus MK2 it is a bit different. The Focus MK2 can be equipped with a few different types of wheelnuts which require a different torque setting.

Focus 2004.75 (07/2004-), Focus 2004.75 Coupe Convertible (07/2006-) and C-MAX 2003.75 (06/2003-):

• Steel nut M12 golden coloured (*06/2003 - 06/2004) - 90 Nm.

• Steel nut M12 silver coloured (*07/2004-) - 130 Nm.

• 2-piece alloy wheel nut M12 with conical washer (*06/2003 - 08/2006) - 110 Nm.

• 1-piece alloy wheel nut M12 for alloy wheels and 5-spoke steel wheel (*08/2006-) - 130 Nm.

• 2-piece alloy wheel locking nut M12 with conical washer (*06/2003 - 03/2008) - 110 Nm (Do NOT use on Kuga 2008.5).

• 1-piece alloy wheel locking nut M12 (*03/2008-) - 130 Nm.

- * Installed in production:
graphic-1.jpg
Item Description

1 = Steel nut M12 golden coloured

2 = 2-piece alloy wheel nut M12 with conical washer (06/2003-08/2006)

3 = 2-piece alloy wheel locking nut M12 with conical washer (06/2003-03/2008)

4 = Steel nut M12 silver coloured

5 = 1-piece alloy wheel nut M12 for alloy wheels and 5-spoke steel wheel (08/2006-)

6 = 1-piece alloy wheel locking nut M12 (03/2008-)
  • Like 3

Hmmmm...so it could be 90 or 95 or 130 and my local tyre people say 110. Think I may go for 100 and recheck after a few days!!.Thanks for replies.

Hmmmm...so it could be 90 or 95 or 130 and my local tyre people say 110. Think I may go for 100 and recheck after a few days!!.Thanks for replies.

From the pics above mine would be 130. Last time I took the front right wheels off I torqued it to 90. My wheel hasnt come off nor am I worried it will. Two things to note here and tgat is:

1. Torque wrenches isn't very accurate unless its a real pro tool

2. The nuts tighten as you drive they are designed this way and this is where the torque is important. Iff you over tighten the nuts over time as they become tighter the wheels can rip the heads off the nuts or they nuts tear through the rims resulting in a nasty situstion

So don't worry too much about the exact number its only important to not over tighten 110 if fine

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

JW1982 (Wilco) says "For the Focus MK1 Ford prescribes a torque of 95Nm to fasten the wheelnuts." My Haynes manual (published 2007) says 85Nm (63 lbf ft), which is consistent with the torque I can achieve with the rather short wheel wrench supplied with the jack. Anything much tighter and you need a gorilla to undo them at the roadside, unless you have a long handled wrench! I had to set my long suffering old Norbar torque wrench to maximum (120 lbf ft) and put the socket on the "undo" side to undo the nuts after a tyre fitter had used his gun on them. To be on the safe side, I shall increase my torque settings to 95 Nm (70 lbf ft).

Of course, there is nothing helpful about this in the Owner's Guide from Ford, apart from "fully tighten the wheel nuts" and "have the tightening torque checked as soon as possible"!

I have an extendawrench, and I use all 8 stone of me to tighten it up. Never failed me so far :p I just tighten it, put all my weight over the end of the bar until it wont go anymore, and then just prey that it doesnt slip or break as I will be kissing concrete!

Does anyone really torque wheel nuts/bolts?

Does anyone really torque wheel nuts/bolts?

Yes I do. It is important although saying that modern car wheel bolts and nuts are well built that it isn't really much of a prob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I have an extendawrench, and I use all 8 stone of me to tighten it up. Never failed me so far :p I just tighten it, put all my weight over the end of the bar until it wont go anymore, and then just prey that it doesnt slip or break as I will be kissing concrete!

What does it say when you out the other foot on James :lol:

Yes Stef, I do (if I have my torque wrench handy). I agree with Kurt. However, most wheel nut wrenches supplied with a car are the right length to put about the right degree of torque on when you give them a good heave. But always a good plan to check the torque when you get back to base.

Torqued mine at 130 110 seemed too loose, thing is you are prob fine with these lower torque settings if you have always torqued them exactly, but you only need a garage or tyre fitting place to put the nuts on with an air gun during the cars lifetime and then they get overtightened

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Nearly 40 years ago I had a nice old Ford Corsair, in the days when they built cars out of RSJ's :rolleyes: The first time I tried to undo the wheel nuts, I had to put six feet of steel gas pipe onto my socket wrench, and swing on the end of it.

If you cannot undo the nuts with the standard (supplied) wrench, they were too tight!

Then there is the fact of how well calibrated your torque wrench is, mine is 15 years old so is probably out anyway:lol:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

What does it say when you out the other foot on James :lol:

Lets put it this way, the forum would censor the post to the point it looks this:

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I knew a mechanic who was known as windy because he used a wind gun to tighten everything and I mean everything. He once worked on my car and I couldn't get the wheels off afterwards as the nuts where done up so tight. Turn the gun up to maximum and blast away was his style

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Over tightening wheel nuts can cause it to sheer off completely. Nuts are tighten as the wheel spin over time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club