Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Zetec S Footwell Lighting

Chris398398

Hello I brought myself a Zetec S 62 reg a while back. I have been reading a lot about footwell lighting and this has really taken my fancy and now I want to install them. I have no idea where to wire the lighting to. I have followed loads of different instruction some saying they have wires there for it other saying they don't. I therefore removed my glovebox to work out myself what I need to do. There is clearly no wiring for footwell lighting. Could someone tell me where I could wire the footwell lighting to (instructions would be great). I am hoping that the footwell lighting comes on when I unlock the car and stays on in till I lock the car back up. I looked at wiring to the glovebox lighting but I noticed the power remains even after you lock the car up ( I don't want a dead battery lol) any help, advice, guidance would be great!

Thanks

• Like 1

Also whilst I had the glove box out I noticed a few plugs that weren't connected to any think, could anyone tell me what they are for ?
White plug found behind but underneath glovebox

image[1]

image[2]

Red plug found behind plastic cover I had to remove to remove glove box

image[3]

image[4]

Finally this yellow plug I found tucked up behind center console

image[6]

image[7]

Any information would be helpful :)

• Like 1

Wire it to your interior light. I just did this on my mk2.5. I made a 2 part loom with the appropriate connectors on it so I didn't need to splice any wiring, then ran it down the A pillar passenger side and behind the glove box. I then added a second connector behind the glovebox and then made the second part of the loom which had both the bulb holders on, fed it under the dash between the footwells and all worked a treat. I even added a spare connector in case I want to add 3 part of the loom in order to have rear footwell lights. All works a treat. I'm sure the same will work for the mk3 focus. There are plenty of guides on the various forums. You may also find the guides for adding an illuminated ignition ring helpful as I copied the loom design they use. Cost me £17 for all the parts inc the multiconnectors , spades, shrink tubing / wire etc. Well worth it and the results are amazing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Yes I was looking at this option but was hoping not to go to all the trouble of wiring from the interior lighting. Not only that but the interior lighting comes on when I unlock the car but goes off after a few seconds once I am in the car.

I looked at the guide you mentioned, great guide but doesn't really state where or how to wire it up, where the picture shows the fuse, I already have a fuse there and could'nt find what it was used for.

• Like 2

Yes I was looking at this option but was hoping not to go to all the trouble of wiring from the interior lighting. Not only that but the interior lighting comes on when I unlock the car but goes off after a few seconds once I am in the car.

I looked at the guide you mentioned, great guide but doesn't really state where or how to wire it up, where the picture shows the fuse, I already have a fuse there and couldn't find what it was used for.

Not a hard job took about 2 hours inc making loom and fitting. The fitting was so easy I only had to remove the 2 pieces of trim (the lower ones in each foot well by centre console). Getting it from the interior light to behind the glove took literally 5 mins.

• Like 2

I looked at the guide you mentioned, great guide but doesn't really state where or how to wire it up, where the picture shows the fuse, I already have a fuse there and could'nt find what it was used for.

Hi Chris,

My foot well guide is designed to be used in conjunction with an illuminated ignition light unit,

The illuminated ignition light comes with a moulded plug loom,

That filters the cables on the interior light,

Basically unplug the light unit and plug in the ignition ring loom plug,

Then plug the original loom in to the socket on the ignition light loom,

No cutting of cables required,

You then have a blue and a black cable feeding o your ignition light,

Using the list of parts in the guide

Splice the red to blue and black to black on the newly run foot well light cable,

Job done,

All the foot well lighting will be on the interior lighting fuse just the same as it would be if ford wired it.

Now if you want to fit,

But you don't want to fit an illuminated ignition ring,

I can supply you with an illuminated ignition light loom for 9 pounds including postage from Ireland,

It has a moulded plug and socket,

So you unplug the interior light,

Plug in this loom

Then plug the interior light plug in to the loom,

Feed the new black and blue cables down your drivers side A pillar

Splice in your new foot well lighting loom and fit some bulbs.

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

My foot well guide is designed to be used in conjunction with an illuminated ignition light unit,

The illuminated ignition light comes with a moulded plug loom,

That filters the cables on the interior light,

Basically unplug the light unit and plug in the ignition ring loom plug,

Then plug the original loom in to the socket on the ignition light loom,

No cutting of cables required,

You then have a blue and a black cable feeding o your ignition light,

Using the list of parts in the guide

Splice the red to blue and black to black on the newly run foot well light cable,

Job done,

All the foot well lighting will be on the interior lighting fuse just the same as it would be if ford wired it.

Now if you want to fit,

But you don't want to fit an illuminated ignition ring,

I can supply you with an illuminated ignition light loom for 9 pounds including postage from Ireland,

It has a moulded plug and socket,

So you unplug the interior light,

Plug in this loom

Then plug the interior light plug in to the loom,

Feed the new black and blue cables down your drivers side A pillar

Splice in your new foot well lighting loom and fit some bulbs.

Thanks Lenny, im not looking to wire in a illuminated ignition light as I have the push start button my my focus the actual button lights up blue. Im just looking to install footwell lights so the wiring loom would be of great help as I dnt really want to go round cutting wires if I can avoid it. Do u have a link to where I can buy the wiring loom ?

• Like 2

Not sure about all the plugs you found but the red/black one is for a passenger airbag deactivation switch which would be mounted into a push out hole on the left hand side of the glovebox liner.

• Like 1

The shape of the yellow plug looks like the connector gor a bluetooth module but not sure, the white one could be for the bluetooth microphone.

Yes I believe thats what the red plug was for, as I noticed I didnt have a actual switch to turn off the airbag, only able to switch it off through the computer settings. The yellow plug I dont think is for the bluetooth as I have bluetooth in my car and it isnt wired through this.

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny, im not looking to wire in a illuminated ignition light as I have the push start button my my focus the actual button lights up blue. Im just looking to install footwell lights so the wiring loom would be of great help as I dnt really want to go round cutting wires if I can avoid it. Do u have a link to where I can buy the wiring loom ?

The loom can't be bought without buying the ignition ring,

But I have the loom with the ignition ring removed from the top,

So its the loom with two cables on the end,

I can post it to you on Thursday for 9 pounds if you want it.

• Like 1

The loom can't be bought without buying the ignition ring,

But I have the loom with the ignition ring removed from the top,

So its the loom with two cables on the end,

I can post it to you on Thursday for 9 pounds if you want it.

Yes I'll have that, PM me with details

• Like 1

Yes I'll have that, PM me with details

Sorry mate,

I've just realised your focus is a mk3

I assumed when the guys refers you to my guide that your focus was a mk2 or mk2.5 very sorry my loom won't fit,

However if you purchase some 5amp cable linked in the guide,

You can splice in to your interior light loom and fit the foot well lighting,

You just need to know the switched live feed I.e. the feed that becomes positive when the car is unlocked etc.

And a negative feed,

• Like 1

Lenny, I was just thinking last night that surely splicing up to the feed that postive when the car is unlocked wouldnt work. As this feed comes on when the car is unlocked but once I am in the car it times out after 10 or so seconds. If I was to wire up to this connection my footwell lighting would do the same. I also looked at splicing to the other light connection but this is the feed for the light switch and therefore always has a supply, even when the car is off and locked up. Any suggestions as to where I could connect up where my lights would come on when I unlock the car and stay on in till I lock the car back up ?

• Like 1

Courtesy lights have two live feeds.

One that's remotely switched and connected to the door/ignition feed and one that permanent live which feeds to the switch mounted on the light itself.

For the footwell light loom you need to connect to the remotely switched live.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Courtesy lights have two live feeds.

One that's remotely switched and connected to the door/ignition feed and one that permanent live which feeds to the switch mounted on the light itself.

For the footwell light loom you need to connect to the remotely switched live.

Yes I understand this but surely if I was to wire up to that feed the footwell lights would be off when the dome light switches off after it times out once I shut the doors or when I start the car the light goes out.

• Like 1

Chris are you saying you want the foot well lights to stay on the whole time you are in the car, driving etc. As stoney says they are meant to work in conjunction with the interior light/courtesy light. I would still encourage u to make your own loom. First thing I would do is check what moulded connectors you have plugging into the interior light, then you can see if you can get some the same to make the loom. I got all my stuff from here www.thetoolboxshop.com.

If you want the lights on at all times when the engine is running you need an ignition live feed, often the switched live on the radio loom is a good one to use (this is the method used when fitting illuminated gearknobs as per Ford instructions).

Chris are you saying you want the foot well lights to stay on the whole time you are in the car, driving etc. As stoney says they are meant to work in conjunction with the interior light/courtesy light. I would still encourage u to make your own loom. First thing I would do is check what moulded connectors you have plugging into the interior light, then you can see if you can get some the same to make the loom. I got all my stuff from here www.thetoolboxshop.com.

Yes that is what I am aiming for. I was looking for connectors the other night and I could only find the right ones on Motorcraft.com, only issue is they cost over £35 each (being a offical ford parts website you would expect that). I havent got a issue with splicing the wires its just getting the lights to come on when I want them on. Hense wanting to find a feed that comes on when I unlock the car and remain on in till I lock the car back up. I think my next bet will be the instructment lighting feed as this comes on and remains on in till I lock the car back up.

If you want the lights on at all times when the engine is running you need an ignition live feed, often the switched live on the radio loom is a good one to use (this is the method used when fitting illuminated gearknobs as per Ford instructions).

Yes that is where I will be looking next.

Ah right. The foot well lights do kick out a bit of light especially if you have LED Bulbs fitted, not too sure that would be too good for driving especially at night, will be a bit like driving round with the interior light on really.

Ah right. The foot well lights do kick out a bit of light especially if you have led bulbs fitted, not too sure that would be too good for driving especially at night, will be a bit like driving round with the interior light on really.

Yes thats correct but I will be putting on a switch so I have the option of turning them off, I just wanted them to come on and stay on, then I have the option whether I actually want them on or not.

Ive very picky when it comes to things like this, sometimes... most the time it makes the job so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Ive very picky when it comes to things like this, sometimes... most the time it makes the job so much more difficult than it needs to be.

Lol I wish you luck my friend.