Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Titanum 1,6 Tdci 2008 Eberspacher Heater

cartman9090

In menu my eber is set to help warming up engine. It works fine, there is little smoke even in garage,

but it starts even if it is + 7-9 degree celcius ! It shuts down when it is supposed to ok.

The Eber extra heater is supposed to work in colder temp than + 5 degree as far as I know.

There are two silver buttons for electricity inside window front and rear, they lit automatically in this model, and they do NOT initiate at temperaure as high as up to + 9 degree. This should be correct.

Then: Can the outside temperature sensor be wrong, have wrong operation characteristic or other problem? In that case, why don't this effect automatic electricity in windows as mentioned above?

Or is there any other temperature sensor that only the eberspacher diesel heater use to initiate?

I do not know if climate temperature user settings effect whether eberheater start sooner or later due to outside temperature. According to my local Ford garage, there is no porgramming either.

Is this to be considered as a "fault", or what step should be taken?

post-47574-0-30506700-1382297436_thumb.j

Is there english language in instrument panel? I don´t know Swedish(?). Maybe it´s information about using of heating only and it´s OK...

Is there english language in instrument panel? I don´t know Swedish(?). Maybe it´s information about using of heating only and it´s OK...

Swedish yes, imported to norway as new.

English can be enabled i think, but there is no relevant information there. Ford locally say there is no fault codes either!

The external heater is realy a lot more siplyer then people think. The basic installation only requires 3 wires: battery connection and one that turns the device on. To turn it on you can use ether the remote, the clock, or as ford uses, the cars computer.

For example, when the temperature drops bellow 5c the computer sends current to the ext.heater on wire, and it fires up. After that, the "command" goes to the external heaters brainunit, that takes care of the heating, and turing down.

But! mine did not have the eberspächer by deffault, but it had that electrical ext. heater. And that electrical ext heater turns on if the egine is cold, and you turn the interior temperature all the way up. In another words, you demand more heat to the cabin then the coolant can give.

I think that something similar is happening here. You demand more temp then there is available, so the car computer kicks the eber on. But, becose its 9c outside, there is no need to defrost the windows, so the front- and rearwindow heaters are off.

The external heater is realy a lot more siplyer then people think. The basic installation only requires 3 wires: Battery connection and one that turns the device on. To turn it on you can use ether the remote, the clock, or as ford uses, the cars computer.

For example, when the temperature drops bellow 5c the computer sends current to the ext.heater on wire, and it fires up. After that, the "command" goes to the external heaters brainunit, that takes care of the heating, and turing down.

But! mine did not have the eberspächer by deffault, but it had that electrical ext. heater. And that electrical ext heater turns on if the egine is cold, and you turn the interior temperature all the way up. In another words, you demand more heat to the cabin then the coolant can give.

I think that something similar is happening here. You demand more temp then there is available, so the car computer kicks the eber on. But, becose its 9c outside, there is no need to defrost the windows, so the front- and rearwindow heaters are off.

I have been considering that if demanding 25 degree inside car before starting the engine, actually would effect Eberspächer to initiate at higher temperature than + 5 degree celcius outside. But this theory has not been mentioned anywhere I have been investigated so far.

I will check it out!

Second, if outside temperature sensor is ok, then there is no other conclusion than that the computer is troubling?

Actualy, i was just checking the wiring diagram (installing aftermarket eber on my focus) for where to connect the heater fan control, and in the wiring diagram, there is output on the heater unit "Ext. heater request".

So, i dont know if it's "required temp higher then what the engine can give out" or if you max it. :/

EDIT: yeap, both heater control untis has "A5 AUX. HEATER REQUEST". So i would say that its working as intended :)

EDIT2: Yeap, if the temp sensor says 9c then thats it. Same sensor info is used for the instrument cluster, and to fire the aux heater.

Tho, after rechecking it seems that the eberspächer you have is "newer generation" and is can-bus controlled instead of the good old fashion "12volts to this wire and it runs untill i cut the power"... Tho, the principle stays same, but the 2 units can pass information back and forth, that widers the usage possibilities.

But summansumarum: I would say that if you go to your car, turn it on and crank the cabin heat all the way to the max, step outside and wait 3mins you should hear the eberspächer starting.

(if its first time it runs after the summer, it might take few tries before she fires up properly, and after it fires let it run for few minutes... And it might smoke... alot! but thats normal and the smoking should stop when it runs properly)

Actualy, i was just checking the wiring diagram (installing aftermarket eber on my focus) for where to connect the heater fan control, and in the wiring diagram, there is output on the heater unit "Ext. heater request".

So, i dont know if it's "required temp higher then what the engine can give out" or if you max it. :/

EDIT: yeap, both heater control untis has "A5 AUX. HEATER REQUEST". So i would say that its working as intended :)

EDIT2: Yeap, if the temp sensor says 9c then thats it. Same sensor info is used for the instrument cluster, and to fire the aux heater.

Tho, after rechecking it seems that the eberspächer you have is "newer generation" and is can-bus controlled instead of the good old fashion "12volts to this wire and it runs untill i cut the power"... Tho, the principle stays same, but the 2 units can pass information back and forth, that widers the usage possibilities.

But summansumarum: I would say that if you go to your car, turn it on and crank the cabin heat all the way to the max, step outside and wait 3mins you should hear the eberspächer starting.

(if its first time it runs after the summer, it might take few tries before she fires up properly, and after it fires let it run for few minutes... And it might smoke... alot! but thats normal and the smoking should stop when it runs properly)

Yes, someone told me that there is only one outside temperature sensor(located in front),

http://www.mp-system.pl/en/blog/4-ford-focus-mk2-outdoor-temperature-sensor-installation-location

and that this sensor gives the outside temperature signal to a central unit ("gem unit"), which in turn passes it on to different consumers like display temp, electrical window heat etc.

I did not quite understand how you read from the schematics that inside temperature setting actually could initiate eber to kickstart at higher than +5 ?

On the wiring diagram, heater control section you can find the heater unit, on that heater unit there is output that is labelled as "Aux heater request". That, and the fact that thats how it the PTC heater works on my car (its +8c and if i turn the heat all the way to the max, i get the "Aux heater on" message on the cluster. I turn it down a bit, and it goes "Aux heater off". :)

http://imageshack.us/f/19/cu6h.jpg/

On the wiring diagram, heater control section you can find the heater unit, on that heater unit there is output that is labelled as "Aux heater request". That, and the fact that thats how it the PTC heater works on my car (its +8c and if i turn the heat all the way to the max, i get the "Aux heater on" message on the cluster. I turn it down a bit, and it goes "Aux heater off". :)

http://imageshack.us/f/19/cu6h.jpg/

Does the temperature user control setting in your car effect the signal into the central unit before engine start? Or is it a type of heater that works during engine running?

Does the temperature user control setting in your car effect the signal into the central unit before engine start? Or is it a type of heater that works during engine running?

Nope, the ptc is electric heater, so it draws lot of juice, and only works when the engine is runing so you dont drain your battery, but the principle is same. You demand heat, max the temp dial and it kicks the aux heater to deliver.

But, tomorrow im disasembling the heater unit to connect the eberspächer fan control, so i can check if the heater control sends the on singal, but the juice is coming straight from the altenator ("D" line).

EDIT: The Eberspächer is controlled by "AUX HEATER REQUEST OR PJB VIA CAN FROM DATC MODULE" So its starts if the climate control is maxed, (aux heat request) or the GEM says its cold outside (<+5), crank up the heat (CAN).

Nope, the ptc is electric heater, so it draws lot of juice, and only works when the engine is runing so you dont drain your battery, but the principle is same. You demand heat, max the temp dial and it kicks the aux heater to deliver.

But, tomorrow im disasembling the heater unit to connect the eberspächer fan control, so i can check if the heater control sends the on singal, but the juice is coming straight from the altenator ("D" line).

I get it, and damn i'd like to hear if you fint that signal :-) Of course I will test heater with min. or max setting on temperature wheel first thing in the morning, it is reported warmer outside:-)

EDIT: The Eberspächer is controlled by "AUX HEATER REQUEST OR PJB VIA CAN FROM DATC MODULE" So its starts if the climate control is maxed, (aux heat request) or the GEM says its cold outside (<+5), crank up the heat (CAN).

Ok! Do you mean this goes for the system in my 2008? I cannot test since higher temp than +3 is not expected for now :-/

Ok! Do you mean this goes for the system in my 2008? I cannot test since higher temp than +3 is not expected for now :-/

Nope, i did not have the chance to check that out. I ended up to do the heater fan control in the enginebay fusebox, so i did not need to disassemble the heater controls.

But, i accidentaly runned in some info about the heater controll when i was looking info about the ELM-Config on bluetooth adapter from a finnish forum. And there someone did know that if you have the automatic AC, and you have the temp setting high enough compared to engine temp, the climate controll requests AUX heat from gem by CAN, and GEM kicks the eberspächer on. Or if you have manual controls, there is a small "blip" when you max the heat, thats the switch that turns the AUX heat request analogicly on, and kicks the eberspächer / PTC heater on.

Nope, i did not have the chance to check that out. I ended up to do the heater fan control in the enginebay fusebox, so i did not need to disassemble the heater controls.

But, i accidentaly runned in some info about the heater controll when i was looking info about the ELM-Config on Bluetooth adapter from a finnish forum. And there someone did know that if you have the automatic AC, and you have the temp setting high enough compared to engine temp, the climate controll requests AUX heat from gem by CAN, and GEM kicks the eberspächer on. Or if you have manual controls, there is a small "blip" when you max the heat, thats the switch that turns the AUX heat request analogicly on, and kicks the eberspächer / PTC heater on.

Ok! Was this independent of a limit of +5 degree outside, do you know? thank you very much for info!

Ok! Was this independent of a limit of +5 degree outside, do you know? thank you very much for info!

Yeap, but there was limitation that engine needed to be under 70c and the outside temp bellow 10c. :)

Yeap, but there was limitation that engine needed to be under 70c and the outside temp bellow 10c. :)

Ok, that makes sense to me! You may turn out to be smarter than my local Ford dealer, that's something...:-)

I will get back to this as soon as I can test it out! Let me know if you get your eber working. mvh Kent.

• 2 weeks later...

Carl0s, how did your eber do?

I can confirm that eber initiation is dependent on climate temperature setting inside car, like you said:-)

Carl0s, how did your eber do?

I can confirm that eber initiation is dependent on climate temperature setting inside car, like you said:-)

Nice, apart the exhaust that shoots all the diesel fumes inside the cabin :D And that is not a pleasent smell... I hope i have some spare time this weekend (just moved so need to unpack stuff) to replace the exhaust so it comes out more on the side of the car.

But, luckily its been pretty warm (~12c) in these last weeks so there has been not realy need for it :)

Nice, apart the exhaust that shoots all the diesel fumes inside the cabin :D And that is not a pleasent smell... I hope i have some spare time this weekend (just moved so need to unpack stuff) to replace the exhaust so it comes out more on the side of the car.

But, luckily its been pretty warm (~12c) in these last weeks so there has been not realy need for it :)

Nice temperature i Finland:-). I guess you need to do something with your exhaust pipe. At work we have a VW Caddy with webasto. Once I was pretty sure it was on fire, until I realized that the heater was just working.

Thank you for your tips!

• 10 months later...

Have to take part to this discuss. Today morning, ive go to start my car and outside temperature was +8, (that's focus said on dash display). And turn Aux Heater on at Setup choice from control display, it fired up, drive to work and it shut down itself when engine reached +75. And Carl0s just turn recirculation on, when you use your Eber ;)

ps. Ei se niin vaikee oo ;)

And if you use ford original exhaust it won't carrie smoke inside of car, or well yes if heater won't start correctly and have fault on fuel filter inside of heater. Fuel filter is quite cheap 29€ for local Eberspacher repair. (or online ordered from eeperi.com 19€) :)