Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delay In Electrics Working After Elm Cable Test

SyncroGTI

Hello all

I'm a newbie to Fords so please bear with me and many apologies for asking something which may have already been posted. (I have tried to search as much as possible but couldn't find anything)

Ok so let me try and explain what the situation is..

I have a 54 C-Max MK1 1.6 TDCI.I have owned it for a couple of months without any problems at all.

After many years of having VW's and using VCDS diagnostic software I thought I would try and get a similar version for my Ford. After looking around I stumbled onto a modified ELM cable mod.

I connected the interface to my car and tested it by reading various modules without changing or writing to any modules as it was just a test. As I wasn't changing or writing to modules I didn't backup anything (On hind sight this was a big error on my part and hopefully I'll learn from it, but I'm not sure this would have helped as I don't think the interface works correctly)

Not being convinced it was all it was cracked up to be I disconnected the cable and left it at that. Next morning I put the key in the ignition and notice that the yellow diesel glow plug light and engine management light illuminate and stay on for about 15 secs, nothing else comes on. The reverse lights, electric windows, instrument lights and instrument panel do not work until 15 seconds later. The engine starts fine if you just turn the key while these lights are on and runs perfectly.

I have tried to leave the battery disconnected overnight to see if this fixes it but unfortunately it didn't. I also tried to restore it back to original AS-BUILT settings from the Motorcraft website with my VIN number, again it didn't sort the problem out.

Everything worked fine until I plugged the interface in and read modules.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Again please accept my apologies for my waffling and inexperience.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think its a case of coincidence rather than anything else. Restoring by your AsBuilt data is the best thing you could have done to putting it back. Have you checked for error codes? as it sounds like you may have a low voltage or similar to the glow plugs? perhaps they are due a replacement?

Either way, I think this is bad timing, rather than bad cable!

Thanks very much for rapid response jeebowhite it is very much appreciated.

Even though I tried to restore to original as-built settings I'm not sure it actually did anything. I will plug my F-Super interface in tomorrow and post any error codes listed.

Is there any way I can tell if the voltage is low to the glow plugs?

The car starts first turn of the key every time with very little waiting time.

Again many thanks

Mark

Read the error codes,I keep getting a low glow plug voltage, it doesn't affect me now, and I don't have a warning light but come the snow I think it will bite me.

I think its p138b for low voltage.

Have you had any cold mornings and with a bit of a lumpy start?

So I have read the PCM module with my F-Super interface and I have a few codes that may be old ones but I'll put them down just in case and one that came up after I cleared all DTC's

PCM DTC's

P0213 - Cold Start Injector 1

P138B - Glow plug control module system voltage - This one came up after I cleared first DTC codes

Cluster DTC

P02D9 - Fined DTC

I haven't had any cold mornings and it so far has never been lumpy at all. Like I say it starts like a dream and doesn't give me any issues apart from the cluster not powering up or any power to the electric windows and reverse lights until the 15 (ish) seconds have passed.

There must be some way to get this minor issue resolved surely? It seems really weird that if it is a low voltage issue to the glow plugs why does it affect my cluster, windows and reverse lights instead of just illuminating the diesel / E.M.L light?

There is a known issue with our CMAX's whereby there is water ingress into the wiring of the glow plug, this can cause electrical gremlins all over the place.

If this error occurs everytime you try to start the car from cold, it would sound like you need to have the relay and/or plugs replaced, a fate I have no doubt will soon be my own!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I see, I wasn't aware about this issue on CMAX's.

This error occurs every time the ignition is turned on whether it is hot or cold, car starts perfectly on every turn of the key without missing a beat.

Wished I hadn't plugged it in now to see if this issue would have reveled its ugly head on its own.

Oh well I will have a look through the forum etc to find the location of this relay and look into replacing to see if it resolves this problem, I will keep you posted..

Many thanks for your help jeebowhite, I really appreciate it.. :)

Regards

Mark

Go back in with the ELM and reset the HEC on the procedures page see if that helps.

If you do find anything on the glow relay let me know! I need to do this but need it not to cost me one billion dollars!

Go back in with the ELM and reset the HEC on the procedures page see if that helps

Hi Preee

I am not sure that I trust my current ELM cable to connect to any controller as I'm not convinced it works too well. I am thinking about purchasing a FoCom package for peace of mind.

I'm not sure that I fancy resetting my HEC as I do not want to brick my car. Have you ever reset a HEC on a MK1 C-Max before and if so what is involved?

Many thanks

Mark

If you do find anything on the glow relay let me know! I need to do this but need it not to cost me one billion dollars!

Jeebowhite

If I find anything out and have any success I will be more than happy to inform you and others on the forum. It would be the least I can do..

Many thanks

Mark

Could be your modified ELM unit's not working as it should... where did you source it from?

Could be your modified ELM unit's not working as it should... where did you source it from?

I got the cable from a certain website and modified it as per directions from a forum. I must admit that the inside of the unit was quite a bit different from what was shown in the forum guide but i didn't think it would make much difference.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club