Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How Is The Internet Changing Owners Clubs?

jamesm182

Hi all,

Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on how the internet is changing owners clubs?

Is it all just virtual these days? Are car clubs meeting up less and less? Is there a decrease in events being held?

Are people just turning to online owners clubs for a cheap fix?

If you have any thoughts on this I would be very interested to hear them?

James

• Like 1

I think the internet is partly responsible for the death of meetups, but also it promotes them.

The issue these days is "boy racers", the respectable amongst us (anyone who doesn't drive a corsa :P) who want to meet up to show others our mod's, have a laugh with a few members and put some faces to the virtual names, its a great experience, however, those who like the children in the corsa crew, who like to meet up, street race, and wind up just about any and every resident in a 100 mile radius are more the reason for the death of the meets.

For example, I have met a lot of people on here, and as a virtual club, its a great place to be, and whilst I would struggle often to make any meets, I can still come on, have a laugh and help others out, as such I feel like I have always been part of a great online club, and one day hope to make it to a meet, but local residents in my area, and a crackdown with the police (after events such as this: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/Man-charged-after-car-crashes-1875/) mean that meets are more difficult. The police in some area's deem all public meets of this nature to be judged on the tarnished reputation bestowed upon us by the boy racers, and those who let their Torque outrun their common sense. As such meeting in public is a much more difficult task, without being dispersed.

Nowadays, arranging meets can be much more difficult. What was once a time of "see you in this car park" is now a case of researching for dispersal orders and other restrictions instated by the local officials, and a quick meet can soon turn out to be a very long negotiation of web searching and local news searching to ensure that your not about to set yourself up for a date with a police cell.

All in, I think its a mixed kettle. More people like to get the virtual environment, as you can attend whenever you like, drop off whenever you like, and it takes walking to an internet connected device to be part of it. For those with busy lives (like myself) its a nice break away to meet like minded folks, have a laugh, give a hand and be part of a community that can take pride of place at the top of google search. However, does this make some people a little more reluctant to join a meet? I think the jury may be out on that, I dont think it does entirely (or at least not intentionally).

Overall, the internet doesn't change owners clubs, idiots do! Idiots that mean meets are less popular because people are less likely to go to a place where they will attract unwanted police attention, or don't want to get caught up in someone else's stupidity.

• Like 1

Thanks James :) (couldn't get the link to work by the way just sent me to kent online homepage!)

• Like 1

I think online owners clubs are getting more popular these days there aren't many people who don't have access to the internet and don't know how to use a computer, I think for me if I have a problem I would first go to a forum or similar and try figure something else out myself first rather than pay for a garage or dealer to do the same it kinda like cuts out the middle man and even if I couldn't get the problem sorted myself I would have better knowledge and I'd know if they were telling me the truth or not ! You hear about these dodgy garages spinning lies and me being a woman I just maybe wouldn't feel as comfortable if I hadn't done some research so that's where I think the online helps as its easy to search and usually you aren't the only one to have experience a certain problem!

As for the meets and things well I guess unless you look on sites like this you wouldn't know wether there was a meet or not I don't recon meets are getting less I recon they are getting more popular maybe as its 'almost' a free activity to do, you get to meet new ppl and have a good old chat which in this day and age financially is a bonus !

Sent from my Nexus 4

• Like 2

Car clubs are all very good for finding info for mods and repairs but i only think car club meets is dead for ford cars. Coming from a dub car i can tell you there is a dub or honda meet near you every week and the big meets are always packed. Facebook is the way to stay in the know about these things.

Saying all that though i find the attitude of ford owners far more mature than dubs and hondas since a lot of these meet turn into illegal street racing and more about how low your car is where as i find the more mature crowd tend to care very little about these things and when it comes to properly organized meets it really takes too much effort time and money to put together.

That's nice that you think we are more mature! :lol:

I like to think Ford owners still try and get together when we can but I know what you mean about Jap car meets and illegal racing etc!

• Like 1

If internet forums were non existent,

I wouldn't have a self built ZetecS

Because the zetecS kit is only available in the uk,

My focus wouldn't be half as modified as it is today if it was for the forms,

We wouldn't have the modified ELM327 software neither,

I've only had my new car 1 week and I've met three people within the country who can help me with building my project by supplying parts, and fault code reading advise.

The forums are great,

By it does ruin the car meets, because you know exactly what your going to see there and you've already commented on there car online,

So it gets kind of awkward then in person :lol:

• Like 2

If internet forums were non existent,

I wouldn't have a self built ZetecS

Because the zetecS kit is only available in the uk,

My focus wouldn't be half as modified as it is today if it was for the forms,

We wouldn't have the modified ELM327 software neither,

I've only had my new car 1 week and I've met three people within the country who can help me with building my project by supplying parts, and fault code reading advise.

The forums are great,

By it does ruin the car meets, because you know exactly what your going to see there and you've already commented on there car online,

So it gets kind of awkward then in person :lol:

To be fair the modified ELM cable is an awesome piece of kit! Certainly saved me some cash! :D

• Like 2

That's nice that you think we are more mature! :lol:

I like to think Ford owners still try and get together when we can but I know what you mean about car meets and illegal racing etc!

+1

I got a notification about a Toyota meet in November at 6pm

I mean come on people, how many pictures are you gonna get in the dark?

And how you gonna see others?

• Like 1

so having never attended a car meet is it a big problem with the police,I am more into motorbikes myself and attend lots of biker meets and have never been asked to move on

As for online forums i love them,what ever your problem is from vehicles to i've stubbed my big toe there is a answer on line

I belong to about 10 online forums some of which i have been on for over 10 years

the best thing about forums apart from knowledge is i have met lots of new friends which i believe would not have happened if the internet hadnt arrived

• Like 2

We have never had any problems with police at any meets , even at larger multi meets where there are people driving stupidly around car parks! But I think sometimes maybe residents complain about noise then the police get called and it goes on from there .

We usually meet up in a pub car park then go for a drive around in the country side or similar so interference with the public is kept to a minimum and maybe as we are and 'older' crowd we just wouldn't have those type of issues anyway ! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

I think it depends where you are and what your up to, meeting up and keeping quiet attracts less attention than the fools who rev the engine out the top of the bonnet and right next door to sleeping babies!

I suppose the issue exists more in hotspots, for example, its clamped down a lot more in my area due to the aforementioned news article, people tend to be shifted onwards.

• Like 2

What do you guys think the advantages are of using a proper forum rather than just a car club on Facebook?

Do you think it's an advantage having mobile access/apps on tablets and smartphones?

What do you guys think the advantages are of using a proper forum rather than just a car club on Facebook?

Do you think it's an advantage having mobile access/apps on tablets and smartphones?

I personally think the design doesn't make much difference,

The forums or car clubs on Facebook only allow people to post information to be read by others, they don't provide other an home grown advice or experience,

A forum or message board, Facebook etc. There all like a mobile phone or email account,

They don't supply information themselves they are a tool which enables people to communicate with each other more easily

They are nothing without the people who use them and provide the information.

So bottom line for a forum

If the information is easily found and you have reliable members who can provide information to others then it works well

And people will come regardless of Facebook or forum,

If its the place where most information is being provided then that's where people will go.

The forum providing a downloadable app allowing people to communicate to each other more easily will grow a forum because those who are experienced can relay there information on the forum more easily and almost 24/7 further growing the forum as being the hub for information on a particular subject.

• Like 1

I think a forum is essential!

"I need to find how to take my Focus and fix it, then I want to try and find a way to install sensors on it"... FOC - Focus then Focus Guides. Job done.

Go to facebook, and you could be rolling your mouse from now until the new year and still be no closer! So I think that for ease of use, the forum is essential. Its clean, its clear, and its got a vibe about it. Its more structured, and everyone knows where to go and most the time how to find it and it all moves orderly. With the likes of facebook groups, there is no real organisation, so its impractical to find what you need,

As for the app, again it just adds to the useability factor of the organisation.

What ever you own a forum specific to that is vital in my opinion,no one knows the ups and downs of ownership more than owners themselves

generic forums still have there place,

i tend to look at it like this

owners forums = your local pub,everyone know everyone

generic forums = the bar you meet your mates on a Friday night,yes its a nice place to be but you limited to who you can talk to

forum apps = well they are just another comunication tool take it or leave it

• Like 1