Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Fault And Dtc D900

bones23

Here we go again....been running ok for 3 days ...back with vengeance .... Gone into limp mode ...idle erratic ...won't drive over 10 mph and codes p0123. P0223 and new one p2176 throttle actuator idle ....end of tether now ...baseball bat looks like coming out ...PLEASE HELP !!!!!!! Can I change these sensors myself or do I need only one doing ... Which one and where is it ? Can anyone shed light on this for me . One thing I have decided ...I won't purchase another ford again! When or if this gets fixed I'm getting rid ...never felt so useless under a bonnet ...very poor vehicle all round

Codes P0123. P0223 and P2176. Any ideas anyone ....what needs doing and is it easy to do ? Any help appreciated ! Can you sidestep the limp mode by disconnecting anything ..least I could drive it on decreased acceleration mode .

all codes are pointing to throttle position sensor

do a wiring check for any breaks/bad connections at the sensor

clean out the throttle body paying special attention around butterfly and where it closes

can do a resistence check on the TPS if you have an ohm meter

this will be a rough guide as dont have access to exact data at the moment..mainly from memory

TPS is a 3 wire sensor

check supply voltage with ign on...should have 5v

if you connect an ohm meter to 2 of the terminals on the sensor with connector plug disconnected..ign off [sorry cant remember which two but process of elimination should be fairly easy)

think you should expect approx 4500 ohms with throttle fully closed

approx 1000 ohms with throttle fully open

also vital that the readings move smoothly up/down as you gradually fully open/close throttle...any jump in reading at any point in any direction will indicate faulty TPS

hope thats of some help...

Cheers Tony...will give it a shot. Must admit I feel it's the TPS but can't seem to find one on eBay or parts shops to purchase one ....feel it's FORDS main dealer and yet another huge bill ! Apprehensive about changing it due to me being heavy handed ha ha but have no choice it seems . Wish I still had my rover 75 ...own a Mondeo as we'll and that's a superb car ...only got this to cut down on costs ha ha ha spent more on this in 2 months than I did in 6 years on my rover. No faith in this vehicle but need it fixed to sell on .any help you can give is appreciated. Cheers again.

Tony..... Just a thought but if I disconnected battery and ECU unit for a few mins would they reset to factory settings when re connected and possibly clear the faults ..know they would prob return if driving but thinking it would clear the Limp Mode so I can actually use vehicle til I get parts. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Cheers

tbh...not tried doing this on fords as have the equipment to clear codes which will be enough to get out of limp...i know it works on some makes but have never tried as dont need to..

you wont do any harm by trying though...unless you dont have a code for radio if necessary

sure the TPS is available from other sources, not just ford..but beware of cheap copies, cause more grief than they're worth.

wiring issues arent uncommon in that area so well worth checking that first before handing out £££ss

Cheers will try it in morning...nothing to lose ...got my radio code so ok on that score.....only thing working on car !! Found site and logged details awaiting quotes now. Will keep putting info on here on what happens ...May help some other poor sod who purchased a ford focus. Cheers again.

should know that disconnecting will mean ecu needs to relearn after so may have few other minor glitches for a few miles of driving..nothing that will cause any major problem though...still recommend you check that wiring first too

Disconnected battery ..it worked ..faults cleared ...200 yards down road ...limp mode again fault P2176. So carried onto my local garage and left it with them...it's beaten me!!! Had enough!! I'm taking bets on what sensor packs in next if anyone fancies a flutter....have no faith that this will be end of the problems. Going to write to Ford to tell them what I think of this joke of a vehicle I and many others have been lumbered with. How this hasn't been a recall is a joke....too many having exactly the same problems is not just a coincidence .

looks like it is the TPS, suspect it will have a new throttle pedal assembly installed so that this rectifies the issue.

Took car to garage they can't find TPS to change are you saying it's not that but the actual pedal/accelerator that's causing problem .

Garage rang pedal assembly ok they reckon it's TPS as you first said ...looking for correct part as one they were sent won't fit or something . Too small? Left it with them but looks like another big bill on its way!

I was under the impression that the TPS is built into the pedal assembly...

I'm not mechanically minded James but I thought throttle position sensor was on actual throttle body ...if I'm wrong fair enough but can't find any pics of exact location on my car. Garage says he checked pedal assembly so surely he must have noticed if it was there ? Any ideas or pics would assist .

My vehicle is a 1.6 petrol focus zetec. May be different to diesel ?

depending on type. either

early type..3 pin sensor on throttle body

late type

TPS is part of the throttle control motor which is also on the throttle body

Hi Paul,

I can always be wrong! I have conversations with a few different people and different motors, it wouldn't surprise me if I have the wrong thing in mind (think its a french 'thing' I was talking to a colleague about earlier!)

No worries James you've been great source of info. Received some photos regards sensor and it's actually behind plate which is fixed to throttle body so the lad in garage is on right track ...thank god! Hopefully will be back on road soon... Frustrating thing is I really enjoy driving the car it's comfortable and smooth drive ...when running correctly... Just hate not having my wheels ....thanks for your input ...

Ok - after being messed around by the first eBay seller, my code reader arrived yesterday and I've just been out to the car to take a look. I'm using the 'Torque (Free)' app and I checked the logged faults, pending faults, historic faults. There is one pending fault code of U0073 - does anyone know what this is please?

Apparently the garage I usually use doesn't have a diagnostics machine, so I guess I'd need to call up with the suspected issue and ask if he can take a look, or find a different garage (the thought of which makes me nervous!)

U0073

control module : data bus off

hints at loss of power at engine control module....for now, iwouldnt worry about it, clear the code and see what happens from then.

though might be worth having the battery/charging checked, any problem there may be enough to flag it up, maybe at some point the voltage dropped below what was required

Ok - I'll try clearing the code. Would that explain the 'shuddery' type feel of the car while idling?

Could well be to be honest. I had a similar experience recently, battery light came on as the voltage dropped and the car started to shudder like it was going to stall, even though the revs were high.

Give it a clear out and now that you have the code reader, see what else it throws after the next fault :)

Paul, hoping you get it sorted soon! looking forward to hearing all fixed and well!

Could well be to be honest. I had a similar experience recently, battery light came on as the voltage dropped and the car started to shudder like it was going to stall, even though the revs were high.

Give it a clear out and now that you have the code reader, see what else it throws after the next fault :)

Thank you very much! I think I'll test it on a couple of drive around the block over the weekend, before I attempt the 30 mile motorway drive (the weather is miserable at the moment and I don't want to be stood in it at 8am on Monday morning!)

No worries Becca, just let us know and we can go from there!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club