Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Focus Mk1 Rear Wheel Bearing

Chris_B

Hi,

I'm doing a rear wheel bearing tomorrow for a friend and need some info...

It's a drum setup and need to know what the shaft nut size is and what the torque spec is for the shaft nut.

As I understand, but the bearing will need pressing out and new one pressed in, is it feasible to drive the old one out and new one in with suitable size socket?

Many thanks.

Hi,

A little research and I think its 29mm spindle nut (right hand thread?)

And 235Nm torque stepped up in increments whilst spinning drum in opposite direction when torquing up

Wheel bearing done.

I had to pop out and buy a 3 legged puller for £12. The brake shoes were backed off as the entire drum was wobbling so the puller did a great job. I recommend getting one if the drum doesn't slide off. The nut was a 30mm not 29mm by the way.

Had to take the spindle shaft assembly off (4 nuts from the rear) because the back half of the inner race was siezed to the shaft. So I put that in the bench vice, cut a score mark diagonally across the race and crack it with a chisel and hammmer.

Pressed the new bearing in, I had to re-press the new one out and put it in the right way as I installed it in the same orientation as the old nackered one, turns out according to the little note inside the new bearing kit that the gold bearing seal side was facing outboard on the car where the note said to install the new bearing with the gold ring facing inboard.

So this is the reason why the old one failed. Plus the fact that I went to torque the newly supplied nut up with the bearing the wrong way round and the bolts thread just chewed to pieces, the spindle shaft threads were okay as that was hardened steel.

So after reinstalling the new bearing in the correct way I reused the origional nut, (as the Haynes holy bible says it can be reused upto 4 times), torquing it in increments of 50Nm all the way upto 235Nm whilst spinning the drum as I tightened.

Hope this info is of use to anyone.

And thanks for the help lol...

Good going! I have marked this resolved in the hope that any future visitors looking for just this information can see that you resolved this issue :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club