Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Din Headunits

salsheikh

guys,

im selling my oval Ford DAB unit (see classifieds) and am replacing it with a Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB unit which is a double din unit. Do i need anything for this to fit into my car other than the fascia?

will the cage be enough to hold it in securely or do i need to visit my Ford dealer for anything?

• Like 1

I know when i was thinking about getting a pioneer double din i was told you need a new cage aswell i think you can buy a seperate fitting kit for them like.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Mines just held in with an aftermarket cage which came with facia adapters as part of a kit from eBay.. I got everything I needed to know from Brigante lol. But if you are fitting it into a MK2.5 it may be different.

Mines just held in with an aftermarket cage which came with facia adapters as part of a kit from ebay.. I got everything I needed to know from Brigante lol. But if you are fitting it into a MK2.5 it may be different.

do you have a link please?

The original ford one which you purchased is bigger than the standard double din size, so you will need fascia adapters which go outside the pioneer to fill the extra room from the old stereo if that makes sense lol..

The second link will be the correct size for a double din stereo without the need for fascia adapters so I don't know whether you want to cancel the other order and buy that one? I didn't, I kept my original ford one and used fascia adapters.. i'll try and find a link to the kit Brigante gave me lol, it was ages ago now but it should be in my inbox somewhere.. 2 secs

Here's a link to the exact kit I used to fit mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251103016387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&clk_rvr_id=535073545693&afsrc=1

It will come with everything you need included in one tidy kit so you don't need to buy anything else. I fit a AVH-8400BT so fitting should be exactly the same for you as it was for me if you have the first head unit surround you linked.

The patch lead it comes with though might be different as your car is the MK2.5.. might be worth messaging the seller?

And it includes the right size fascia adaptor to build out to the head unit fascia you just bought so there won't be any gaps, it also includes a steering control adapter, enabling use of the stalk controls on the steering wheel :)

thanks for the info Lewis. it was too late for me to cancel my order as by the time i got back to them it had been posted. i'll try and sell it back on eBay or something. bidding on the smaller din hole one so hope i win it.

just wondering how the cage will fit inside the bigger hole as i cant see how it will stay secure...might have to modify it.

did you have to use that loom in the kit too?

No probs mate, you can thank Brigante though lol he gave me all the info I needed ;')

Its probably worth keeping the head unit surround you bought tbh, because it fits nicely with the kit and the adapters which come with it, but if you can get a good deal on the other surround then why not I suppose.. it'll probs look nicer.

And the cage which comes with the kit has teeth which you bend outwards to hold it in place, it fits nicely when finished ;)

Oh and yeah I used the loom, it makes it a plug and play job, connects the pioneer to the car with no probs.. you just need to let the seller know your model car and that its a pioneer stereo..

Hope this helps :)

i won that other adaptor and also found a loom for £5. cant wait to fit it all....got a new sub and amp to fit too

Fair enough mate, I fit a sub and amp aswell.. the only problem I found was getting the power cable from the battery through the rubber grommet into the car lol, the grommet was so damn thick and I pushed the cable through it with a metal coat hanger and lube haha

i've already got exisiting wiring but am going to replace with with 0AWG cable! i want to try and do it so i can remove the sub/amp if i need the boot space but keep the existing sub/amp combo in place (side of boot mounted in custom install)

• Like 1

Thanks for the mention focuz

Sal if you need help with the head unit fitting you can always use my guide for reference

I wrote it when fitting my now outdated pioneer headunit

The cage that comes with the head unit will be too big i think and you'll need a smaller cage that comes with the fitting kit if you need it

You say you got a loom for 5quid, does it come with the stalk controls adaptor n aerial adaptor?

Concerning the head unit surrounds, as focuz says the standard ford surroune has a none din sized hole so you'll need the fascia adaptor if you choose to keep the ford surround

Or as you say you've now purchased the double din sized head unit surround so there is no need for the fascia adaptor and it will look a lot tidier n neater

I would of rather had the double din surround but it would mean i couldnt have my dummy head unit

No worries charlie, its been a while.. you probs can't remember me lol, messaged you last year!

I've learnt so much from this forum and got so many ideas from you lot haha! :D

hi charlie

thanks for the info

i've got a dab aerial in mine so i hope thats ok to use on the new dab HU

the loom i got is this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280786677053?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

i hope it works!

still awaiting arrival of the new HU so will see what it comes with befor ei buy anything else. oly gone and spent over £300 without realising....having to hide my purchases or the missus will kill me!

yup i remember you lewis

its good to know i've passed on some wisdom

i havent been about the forums much lately due to work commitments, but going by your post count neither have you lol

sal, looking at that loom it should do the job of getting power to the head unit n you will be able to play cd's/watch dvds

but it doesnt appear to have whats needed to keep your factory stalk controls working. if you wish to retain your steering wheel controls you may need an entirely different loom that can accommodate a stalk controls adaptor

the adaptor will be a lil black box with a circuit board inside, one end will plug onto the loom, and out the other end will be a 3.5mm jack that will go into the back of the head unit also

you will most likely also find that your radio wont work as the aerial wont plug straight onto the new nu and you may need one of these jobbies

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aerial-Antenna-Adaptor-For-Car-Radio-ISO-to-DIN-/250412805944?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a4dc42f38

this is inserted into the new hu and the aerial pushes onto the end of it

this was the case of my pioneer anyway which your new hu is the updated version of

• Like 1

why oh why do they have to make it so bloomin difficult.

i'm hoping to receive the HU today (c'mon my hermes sort it out) and am wishing the bits needed are all in the box.

i'm off mon-wed next week (half term) so will rip everything out and give it a go.

It's a pain in the !Removed! trying to find out all the bits you need.. (well I thought so anyway :D) but when you have it all, its pretty straight forward.

looks like i may need to little aerial adapter, will pop down to halfrauds and pay more just so i have it instead of waiting for it to be delivered.

was going to install a rear view camera but cant be bothered with faffing around with that!

Its easy enough to fit a camera

You could always hire my services to fit it all for you ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club