Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Issue Plese Help :'(

tonyp1985

hi all users I have a problem with my key on my car this has been a problem for some time but ive only just got round to try and fix the problem.....

now ha ha I bought my ford focus 56 plate diesel in January, now when I first bought the car (the key fob did not work) but I thought nothing of it I just thought when I get home fit a new battery and hey presto it will work... and yes I no what your going to say its not that simple so just recently i've been reading how to re-programme the key to the car i.e key in ignition then within 6secs turn key from 1-2 four time then you will hear a beep then press the button on you fob and then another beep should sound to tell you that the key was successful this did not happen so I thought rite go to evans halshaw and get them to have a look and give me a quote......

when I got to fords this morning they got a little black box out to test my key and they pointed my key to this black box that had two l.e.d. lights 1 sying signal received and the other low battery on each button they pressed it came up signal received so the guy sid your key is working then he came to my car got in went through the same process as me and no joy what so ever... now ford are saying you can book it in and we will check on the computer and see if we can do it that way but there is a charge of £85 +VAT and what ever on top after that if any further work is required...

Im just asking really if anyone can help me before I have to pay out of this world to fix this problem.

thankyou for taking time to read my issue and I hope any body can help : )

Yellow pages find a mobilr auto locksmith and get them out thats who ford will bring in anyway you wont pay £85 for it either

ok will do but do you think this will solve the problem I just don't understand what it could be ....

many thanks for the reply

Could be the reciever a wiring fault most likely the reciever if the key works fine try switching ignition from 0 to 2 6 times in 6 seconds then a beep press remote then a beep then switch off if its not working then youll have to leave it to ford to diagnose

Update to my issue ....

I had a auto mobile locksmith come out to my car today and he tried to allocate different fobs to my car and no joy.. so he then plugged in his laptop carried out a coulple of inspections and the out come is that the remote control module is not opperating so he said i am to change it because it is not taking a signal off any key to open the locks remotely but he say he does not no where this is located so very happy with knowing what the fault is but the BIG question is ....

Does anybody no where i can locate this box

Many thanks

The Focus MK2 / MK2.5 does not have a seperate remote control module. The central locking and remote control functions are controlled by the GEM module/Fuse box. The GEM module/Fuse box has a built-in receiver. Depending on the production date the built-in receiver is used or the built in receiver is switched off and a seperate receiver above the roofliner is used.

As far as I know your car should have the newer type GEM module/fuse box which has a Fuse (number 102) for the remote control functions. If the Fuse is not burned the cause of the problem can be a defective receiver (if fitted) or a defective GEM module/fuse box.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply im now abit condfused the guy that came out said that the white box under the glove box which im sure he said was the body control module is ok and he plugged in someting else and he said it was the remote control unit (module) was faulty ive searched on eBay and its coming up with a black sort of box and ive looked near the bcm and can not find it .... all the fuses are fine he tried to connect to the remote control module and on his computer came up with remote control module not responding .... i just want to cry pmsl

Ive got a 1.8tdci lx 56 plate made in feb 2007 if this little bit of more info helps the please please any1 reply before i start spending what i dont need to spend ... many thanks everyone

The remote control module does not respond because there simply is no such module on a Focus MK2 / MK2.5. The GEM (General Electronics Module) which is integrated into the fuse box under the glovebox controls a lot of the electrical functions including central locking and remote control.

When the external receiver (if fitted) is defective a DTC code is stored into the GEM module/fuse box. These DTC codes can only be read with a Ford specific diagnostic interface. A modified ELM327 interface and the ELMconfig software can do this. This software can also reprogram another (new or used) GEM module/fuse box. If your GEM module/fuse box is defective you can simply buy one from a scrap yard (with the same or higher part number) and reprogram it to your car yourself.

I have seen this same problem a few times before. One time the receiver was defective. In ll other cases changing and reprogramming the GEM module/fuse box did solve the problem.

• Like 1

So do i just remove the white fuse holder box and fit a new 1 and do the ignition sequence with the key

The GEM module/fuse box is like a computer. When it is changed it needs to be reprogrammed completely. All settings of your car needs to be transferred to the new GEM module/fuse box before it will work correctly. This way you can also transfer the serial number of your remote control to the new GEM module/fuse box. After the serial number is transferred there is no need to perform the learning procedure using the ignition key. Using ELMconfig you are able to reprogram most modules yourself and there is no need to go to an expensive Ford dealer.

All Focus MK2 / MK2.5 GEM modules/fuse boxes are interchangeable. The only thing to be aware is that there are different versions for lower and higher options vehicles. Lower options GEM module do not have all components fitted to the circuit board. As a replacement Ford only offers a module which supports all possible functions and costs above €500,-. When buying a used GEM module/fuse box it is important to buy the correct type which supports all (or more) options of your car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club