Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ideas For Outside Plastic Trim Mk2

Focuz

Hi people, new to posting on this forum.. been reading through it for months tho lol.

I have a MK2 lx focus which has the dull grey plastic trim all around the car which I hate.. just wondering how I could change this to match the rest of cars black paintwork? Including the front foglight patch covers (no foglights lol, have bought some drls I plan on fitting there though :D )

Would it be easy to wrap or paint the plastics..?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, cheers :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

painting the plastic is the easiest and cheapest way short of visiting scrapyards In search of the same colour with matching plastics?

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

• Like 1

can you post a pic of the car/trim - you may be able to renovate the trim. Painting/wrapping is all possible

Can't post a pic atm mate, its just standard unpainted plastic, I'm just being picky and wanting it to be colour coded with the rest of the car lol.

Scrapyard idea is good, would rather just wrap it though to be honest.. would you recommend taking the trims off to wrap them? Trying to keep things as easy as possible :D

Also on the rear I was thinking of wrapping the grab handle part in chrome or maybe brushed aluminium to make it look a bit more like a ghia instead of lx :)

Sand them down and spray with plastic primer then colour match and then lacquer.

You can buy primered parts from Ford but they go for silly prices.

The bump strips on the doors are about £40 each alone.

Hi Stoney,

Good idea.. do you reckon I can get away with leaving some of the trims on when I do this? i'll remove the foglight covers though because they just pop on and off lol.

Yeah not worth buying primered parts, stuff paying 40 odd quid just for that haha!

Sorry I didn't read the first post properly and realised you want them colour coded. I would take them off the car and do what stoney871 says. If you didn't want to do it your self you could see how much it would be to get them painted at a shop. You could paint them on the car and mask etc, but would be easier if you took them off and the cars not tied up while you are doing it then.

• Like 1

Gloss black is what ive done. stands out nicely when clean.

No worries, yeah I think I will remove them then, may aswell do the job properly and not be lazy about it :D

Should stick with gloss black, the same as my car or do something else with the trims? Just trying to think of ideas, aslong as it won't look silly lol

No worries, yeah I think I will remove them then, may aswell do the job properly and not be lazy about it :D

Should stick with gloss black, the same as my car or do something else with the trims? Just trying to think of ideas, aslong as it won't look silly lol

Personally I would do them the same colour code as ur car. What's the score with these trims on the Mk2, are they clip on or stick on or both, if stock on you could remove them altogether? :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure the bump trims are stuck with pads but also have a couple of clips too.

If you were careful and good with masking up you might be able to do them on the car to save bending them on removal.

Fog surrounds and brows pull off ok, they are quite soft plastic so will bend and flex when removing them, jusr be careful not to maul the clips up too much or they can be swines to push back into their slots.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

I think that your plastics do not need repainting, because they are just faded and they look grey. I had the same problem and solved it in this way:

1. A good clean with a good all purpose cleaner and some soft brush ort microfiber cloth.

2. Treamtment with this : http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/

I wish i could post a pic of my trims. They look brand new now.

Oh right cheers stoney, what grain sandpaper do you recommend to sand down? I have never done this before so sorry for all the questions ;)

So I sand down, primer, spray paint a few layers, then spray clear coat in layers, (do I sand inbetween paint and clear coat layers?) and finally buffer with compound?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

post-39207-138294475516_thumb.jpg

I want to wrap or paint the interior trim aswell, is it possible to wrap plastic with a rough surface like in the picture?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club