Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Heater Stuck On Hot

Browncow5

Hi All,

I know this is a common topic, but I'm stuck. The heater in my 2000 Fiesta was not working (only blowing cold) so I bought a new valve from eBay. I fitted it today and now all I get is hot air, even with the fan off I can still feel it coming at me.

Could this be faulty as I went for the cheap version from eBay? Or could it be the control panel inside the car? I tried it put an uncapped bulb onto the power connector with the engine turned on and slowly turned the dial from cold to hot to test (don't have a voltage meter). The bulb didn't light at all but I don't know if this is conclusive..

Or does any one have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

:)

You would be better off using a cheap volt meter. You could also connect the valve directly to the battery to see if the solenoid switches.

Ok, bought a multimeter and plugged it into the power connector. When the knob is on cold it reads 9v, in the middle it pulses from 9-13, and on hot it reads 13-14, that's not right is it?

Do I need a new control panel do you think?

Cheers..

I am having the same problem! can i hijack this thread and ask how or where you put the multi meter probes (and on what setting) to test out the panel.

Hi Stephen,

I've actually fixed mine now. What i did was buy a new heater control panel from a breakers and removed the circuit board from behind the temperature knob and put it in my panel. The panel i bought was slightly different to the one i had so rather than replace the whole panel this was easier.

Regarding the multimeter, what i did was remove the power connector from the valve under the bonnet, plug the probes into the 2 contacts and switch the engine on. Then went and put the dial on cold, in the middle and hot and took a note of the readings. The multimeter should be on 20v.

From what i can gather form the internet there should be no volts on hot, it should pulse when in the middle and should be on 12v when on cold..

hope that helps..

• Like 1

I had a similar problem - my mark 5 heater would only produce hot air for the first three weeks after I bought it (funny how the owner forgot to mention that one). I just let the problem run its course - I put the hot air on as often as possible and the problem eventually rectified itself. The system now works fine, so you could bear that in mind if your own plays up again...