Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Condensation Inside Of Headlights

Clarky2013

Just noticed condensation on the inside of both my front headlights this evening, am I right in thinking this shouldn't happen? Car is only 3 months old, does anyone have any advice on what to do?

take it back, something isnt sealed properly to allow water in to them...over time it will discolour the reflectors

Ok thanks, I will call Ford in the morning. Did read a post on here about condensation is expected and it should disappear with the lights on after 30 mins, not sure if that is the case or not

other owners on here might be better informed but to me that isnt right..but maybe a harmless quirk on this model

Some light condensation IS normal because the headlight units are vented to allow for changes in air pressure and temperature. See page 49 of your manual (Lighting) for full details of what is acceptable.

Due to all the wet weather and moisture in the air at the moment, there is a good chance of misting anywhere around the car.

Id try having the lights on to see if that dries out the lens first, and check the back of the light to see if there are vent holes to allow air flow. If there are, make sure they are clean and not blocked.

If that doesnt cure the problem, then it may be worth having a word with the garage you got it from.

• 1 year later...

I've been getting a small amount of condensation in my headlights too, only noticed it now that the weather is getting cold. Is this definitely normal and nothing to worry about?

I thought I might have caused it when I swapped the bulbs and allowed some damp air to get in. I've ordered some silica gel packets and I plan to stick one on the inside of a rubber seal to try and dry out the headlights: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002K95U54?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I just need to know is it safe to leave them in there while driving, especially when the lights are on? Apparently you can put them in an oven or microwave to dry them out, so if they are ok in that kind of heat hopefully they won't start a fire in a headlight lol.

Mine did it when I first got the car, never had it since, Odd that you are getting it now Phil, generally it's when the cars are new due to never being on and not getting hot etc

for the sake of £3.68, don't put them in the Oven or Microwave lol

As Mariner said, the lights are vented, so no matter what you do - the cluster will always be open to the damp air. The vent isn't huge, but is enough to allow condensation to form

If it's excessive (as in it's all but running down the inside) then check your bulb covers are a tight fit.

Might sound like a stupidly obvious question - but have you ruled out condensation on the outside of the lenses?

Both of the ST's Ive owned now have had small amounts of condensation in the light units from time to time, clears after driving around with lights on for about 10 minutes. Hasn't caused any issues at all.

Mine did it when I first got the car, never had it since, Odd that you are getting it now Phil, generally it's when the cars are new due to never being on and not getting hot etc

for the sake of £3.68, don't put them in the Oven or Microwave lol

I got mine at the end of April so it's only now that the temperature is cold enough to cause condensation I think. And in case it wasn't obvious I was talking about putting the silica gel packets in the oven (is that proof they won't cause a fire in the engine bay?), not the headlights. Although some people recommend putting the headlights in an oven to dry them out lol, I won't be doing that and these massive headlight units wouldn't fit anyway.

As Mariner said, the lights are vented, so no matter what you do - the cluster will always be open to the damp air. The vent isn't huge, but is enough to allow condensation to form

If it's excessive (as in it's all but running down the inside) then check your bulb covers are a tight fit.

Might sound like a stupidly obvious question - but have you ruled out condensation on the outside of the lenses?

It's not excessive, just very fine condensation which at worst covers the indicator from the front and spreads along the bottom edge of the unit (where the DRL is). And no it's not on the outside, I always wipe it to check that when I see it :). It's just annoying really, but any obstruction of lights or indicators can't be a good thing.

Both of the ST's Ive owned now have had small amounts of condensation in the light units from time to time, clears after driving around with lights on for about 10 minutes. Hasn't caused any issues at all.

I've noticed mine doesn't really clear after a short drive, maybe a long drive would do it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club