Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cut Out

Tongester

Had a problem today with my 60 reg Feista Econetic, when it cut out on the motorway after 60 miles driving. Fortunately I was on the inside lane but had to coast onto the hard shoulder. Engine re-started OK but malfunction light was on but got me to my destination which was only 2 miles away. When restarted engine 3 hrs later to come home malfunction light not on but cut out again twice more after 50 and 52 miles, with malfunction light back on. Just checked again after getting home and light not on. Any ideas please!!

Hi David,

No warning lights, or difficulty in restarting? sounds to me like its not breathing or fuelling, so when was the fuel filter and air filter replaced?

I had almost exactly the same issue on my Focus many moons ago...

• Like 1

Thanks Jeebowhite. All filters replaced when I had it last serviced in Feb this year. Also had an Emission Control service and Fuel system treatment done with my MOT only a month ago. The malfunction warning sign came on the centre console and the warning light in the combi but went off and not on today when I have been in the car. Car re-started OK each time and started Ok today as well.

Hi David,

Have you been able to check for any error codes?

• Like 1

Thank you for your interest again.

Rang local Ford dealership who advised to get Ford Roadside assistance out to look at car first (cut out twice on way to work after about 18-20 miles). AA came out and immediately said he thought it was fuel pump as he had been called out to a number of Ford cars recently for similar things and a friend of his, who worked at another Ford dealership, told him that the filters were NG but replacing like for like!! He did a diagnostic which did not come up with any reasons at all, which he said backed up his initial thoughts.

Rang dealership back, told him what the AA guy had said (well most of it) and got car booked in on Wednesday. However, really bad journey back from work (30 miles), cut out at least 11 times, to the point I was exhausted by the time I got home with worry that someone would drive into the back of me. However, car started back up first time everytime!!

Going to leave car at home tomorrow and take wifes car to work and fingers crossed it gets me to work on Wednesday where they are going to pick the car up from.

I have to be honest, I am more suspicious its the fuel filter than the pump.

First of all its a cheaper fix, and secondly its a common problem. If my suspicions are correct, the problem is that the time of year brings cold, cold likes to contract things and if you have a hairline crack in your filter, the crack will open further with the cold. This allows air to be sucked into the fuel filter and through the fuel lines injecting more air into the engine. As we all know, Air doesnt burn very well, so the combustion stops, and the car cuts out.

If I was you, I would get someone to get the fuel filter replaced today and give it a few test drives. I dont know your local dealer, they may be as honest as mine, or as rogue as the next. I dont think you want to be paying out for a new pump because they think its that, only to find you also have to pay £70 odd for the fuel filter as well.

Thanks again for your post. My apologies, I meant Filter not pump. I think the Ford garage is fitting it FOC as part of part warranty as it is only 8.5 months (9600miles) since it was fitted and they are picking the car up from where I I work tomorrow. If the car does not like it then I will have to get the roadside assistance to tow me to the dealership in Sunderland.

aaaah, glad that it was the fuel filter! the pump is a seperate beast altogether and sounded like a diddle job!

Well let us know how it goes but certainly by what you have said so far, it certainly seems to me to be the fuel filter!

• Like 1

Thanks again - will let you know tomorrow/Thursday what has happened - just dreading the journey into work tomorrow morning :-(

I find that if you drive it gently, and keep the revs low its fine. for me, it was when I accelerated hard up to 2000 revs, it cut out, but if I drove it gently up to 2000 revs it was fine.

Keep the gear changes as low as possible and the overall speed safe and legal and you should be alright!

• Like 1

Once again thank you for your advice. That is what semed to happen last night that whem I got into a steady drive it went some way before cutting out - although don't think other drivers on the motorway were too pleased with me "toddling" along at 50mph, but if gets me here....

Try avoid the motorway, but keep to 56 at a minimum if you can and very gradually increase the throttle. I got my car 30 miles down a motorway (eventually) after learning this and I had to accelerate so carefully! just remember you need to plan way ahead, move cautiously and keep your speed level, otherwise when you put your foot down...

• Like 1

Jeebowhite,

Thanks for the greta advise below. Got the car to work with only 2 cut-outs (first after 20 miles just as I was on the slip road leaving the motorway, second about 2 miles later)by driving very gently and slowly (always under 2000revs and 55mph) Car picked up by Dealer driver, who asked me if Ford had asked if I used diesel form a supermarket! Replied that they hadn't but would this make a difference? I do and in fact used Asda instead of Morissons, as I normally do, only the night before my first concern. So is there anything in this or just been unlucky? Waiting for them to drop my car off this afternoon if all OK - will keep you updated as to what happens.

Supermarket fuel tends to be more likely to block your filter as it gets colder (but not cold enough to treat the fuel for winter) so you get a choked filter more often.

Either way a new filter is likely the fix regardless of blocked or broken filter

• Like 1

Got car back yesterday afternoon. Cost was £72, as they are blaming supermarket petrol. Drove home last night and back to work this morning with no concerns, so, fingers crossed, concern now resolved.

Thank you for your advise this week, it has certainly helped :-)

Not a problem at all David, glad to be of service! in comparison, £72 is a cheap fix!

If you have any Shell or BP or similar near you, use them more often. The fuel is kinder to the filter as well as the engine, it looks after the engine a bit more and burns more cleanly. If you cant get to it often enough then make an effort now and then to get some (one in four to six tanks) And that should help to clear any buildup that may have occurred.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club