Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Focus Zetec Tdci 2.0 (Euro 4) - Aux In

adamd

Recently bought a 2007 focus and have found the 'aux in' socket in the glove compartment. Am I correct to

Assume that this will connect my iPhone to the stereo with the appropriate cable?

Also, is it normal for there to be no cigarette lighter? Assumed this was standard in all cars!!

Recently bought a 2007 focus and have found the 'aux in' socket in the glove compartment. Am I correct to

Assume that this will connect my iPhone to the stereo with the appropriate cable?

Also, is it normal for there to be no cigarette lighter? Assumed this was standard in all cars!!

Welcome to the forums.

Yep, you need one of these cables:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-to-3-5mm-Jack-Audio-iPod-Aux-MP3-car-Cable-1-5M-/271176094435?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item3f235ad2e3

The last car I used to ride in that had a cigarette lighter was built in the 90's. ;)

• Like 1

There should be a 12 volt socket in the cubbyhole under the demister switches.

If it's not there or readily visible it's either been blanked off or removed.

If no socket is fitted then the wiring will definitely be there, just probably hidden or tucked away and accessible by removing the drivers side kick panel by the clutch pedal.

Stoney - yes there is, but just a hole there at the moment. So I can get something put in there that I can use as a car charger for my iPhone ?

Welcome to the forums.

Yep, you need one of these cables:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-to-3-5mm-Jack-Audio-iPod-Aux-MP3-car-Cable-1-5M-/271176094435?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item3f235ad2e3

The last car I used to ride in that had a cigarette lighter was built in the 90's. ;)

Thanks. So that should connect my iphone to the stereo? THe glovebox - what a retarded place to put it!

Thanks. So that should connect my iphone to the stereo? THe glovebox - what a retarded place to put it!

Yes. There are also other ways to wire it, such as from behind the glovebox, and out the footwell.

Yes. There are also other ways to wire it, such as from behind the glovebox, and out the footwell.

Thanks. Apologies for sounding like a dunce but I'm useless with stuff like this. So I can simply have it installed where the hole is (in the well behind the gearstick and underneath the stereo)? Would it be so difficult to have the aux in installed in this bit and the charging port in the glove box (where the aux in currently is), as it seems a lot safer to have the phone as close to my hands as possible for song changing purposes (yes, I know that I should not be doing this whilst driving!)?

Thanks. Apologies for sounding like a dunce but I'm useless with stuff like this. So I can simply have it installed where the hole is (in the well behind the gearstick and underneath the stereo)? Would it be so difficult to have the aux in installed in this bit and the charging port in the glove box (where the aux in currently is), as it seems a lot safer to have the phone as close to my hands as possible for song changing purposes (yes, I know that I should not be doing this whilst driving!)?

I am assuming (possibly incorrectly?) that you mean something like this: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/39018-35mm-jack-socket-mod-mk2-focus/

Can be done, but it requires a bit of effort.

Yeah. It's all good, though, as bought a cable for £1.50 and the aux in works perfectly. Not overly concerned with a bit of cable sticking out so all sorted.

So I can get a power port installed in the 12v power outlet hole (under the central console)?

You should already have a 12v outlet in the car. If there is a metal cartidge in the dashboard that you can put the charger into, that should allow you to charge your device. If you have a hole (like someone just cut a random hole in your dashboard) then you would need to install a 12v outlet. the wiring should be there, you could find someone removed it, and cut the wires just as a quick fix...

It's a 5 minute job to fit a socket.

First remove the footwell panel (pop out cap and a torx screw) and check you have a twin wire connector with an orange plug on the end.

Put the plastic ring in the hole first and then the socket pushes in and clips into the ring.

The connector will only go on one way so no risk of getting it wrong.

You will also find another single orange plug taped back on itself, untape it and connect to the single pin on the plastic ring and you'll get illumination with headlights on.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121208107822

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers. Where would you suggest taking it? Can only think of ford or an audio place.

Fitting the socket is an easy DIY job as long as you have a set of torx screwdriver bits to hand.

I'm not doing it myself, I'll make a hash of it as never done such a thing before.Where do you think is best to take it?

Pics attached

post-47935-0-11163300-1383581636_thumb.j

post-47935-0-15716500-1383581649_thumb.j

Buy the socket I linked and go to a local auto electrician.

5 minute job so probably £20 - £30 average cost.

• Like 1

Buy the socket I linked and go to a local auto electrician.

5 minute job so probably £20 - £30 average cost.

Thanks.

Mine's an 07, will that matter?

Not at all.

It really is a very easy job that takes no time at all.

Not at all.

It really is a very easy job that takes no time at all.

Cool. I'll get my dad to do it and I'll learn from him, sod paying £20 for 10 mins work!

My thoughts exactly.

Don't forget to connect the illumination wire for the finishing touch :)

It's a 5 minute job to fit a socket.

First remove the footwell panel (pop out cap and a torx screw) and check you have a twin wire connector with an orange plug on the end.

Put the plastic ring in the hole first and then the socket pushes in and clips into the ring.

The connector will only go on one way so no risk of getting it wrong.

You will also find another single orange plug taped back on itself, untape it and connect to the single pin on the plastic ring and you'll get illumination with headlights on.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121208107822

You were right, it was literally the easiest task ever! Clipped it all in but the illumination doesn't work, however I'm really unconcerned about that.

Glad you're sorted.

Did you attach the single connector that was taped up away from the socket?

If you did and the light still isn't working it could be either the bulb is duff or the little metal contact between the bulb earth and the metal body of the socket isn't making contact.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club