Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blanking Ford Focus

Pav1

Had a feeling you were gonna tell me you were a spark! :)

Thats quite an impressive resumé mate.

Theres always something new to learn, i'm constantly looking to upgrade my qualifications and experiences with different aspects of the job.

Just love to learn and this forum is fantastic for doing just that! :)

You're certainly right about the government doing what they want though! LOL

Ha ha not half pal they're ripping out parts of a building only a year after spending millions on it. And guess what they're now putting in what I advises in the first place :-). Yeah love learning too pal . If I had the money I'd love to look at developing a forced induction using a oxygen generator on a Ecu controlled inverter as an alternative type of forced induction. Ha ha as you can expect when I say some money we are talking millions

Tell me about it! Ive worked on many council run projects where millions have been spent only for them to tear it down 2 years later to spend even more millions on a new super project....ridiculous!

They purposely spend like crazy in order to not lose any budget for the following year..... makes me wonder sometimes!

You see, you did it again. We were having a normal conversation then threw in "forced induction, inverters, hyperdrives" etc and lost me completely! LOL

• Like 1

Ha ha sorry

if you look at oxygen generation it involves a type of filtration and knocking out the nitrogen particles from the air which leaves not much else except for oxygen in high levels pair this with a inverter controlled compressor and you could Force oxygen into combustion at massive levels plus it would work for fuels that aren't as combustable as diesel or petrol. And not a egr in site ha ha

• Like 1

If it makes ya feel any better I haven't got a clue how a flux capacitor works

Ha ha sorry

if you look at oxygen generation it involves a type of filtration and knocking out the nitrogen particles from the air which leaves not much else except for oxygen in high levels pair this with a inverter controlled compressor and you could Force oxygen into combustion at massive levels plus it would work for fuels that aren't as combustable as diesel or petrol. And not a egr in site ha ha

I do actually see what you are driving at there and the fact of no EGR is the icing on the cake for me! :)

• Like 2

If it makes ya feel any better I haven't got a clue how a flux capacitor works

LOL

My car is a dv6 1.6tdci euro 5. Egr blanked and have put 7000 miles through it. No problem. No lights no limp. No smoke and no dpf regen as there isn't any soot for it to collect :) all in all the best buy. And mpg went up. About 66mpg without being mapped.

• Like 1

I am going to install it as there are just too many people on here with the same engine as me who have suffered no ill effects whatsover. Only gains from doing it.

I was going to have my DPF deleted by a friend of the person who I bought the car off for just £350 but, after speaking to him today, it seems this guy is a mobile deleter and I dont think I want such an important item to be done by a mobile outfit??

He told me they are very thorough and remap the engine and also delete the egr at the same time.

Mobile fitters?? Any good??

EGR in spark-ignited enginesIn diesel enginesEdit

In modern diesel engines, the EGR gas is cooled with a heat exchanger to allow the introduction of a greater mass of recirculated gas. Unlike SI engines, diesels are not limited by the need for a contiguous flamefront; furthermore, since diesels always operate with excess air, they benefit from EGR rates as high as 50% (at idle, when there is otherwise a large excess of air) in controlling NOx emissions.[citation needed] Exhaust recirculated back into the cylinder can increase engine wear as carbon particulate wash past the rings and into the oil.[6]

Since diesel engines are unthrottled, EGR does not lower throttling losses in the way that it does for SI engines. Exhaust gaslargely carbon dioxide and water vaporhas a higher specific heat than air, so it still serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. However, adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR.[7]

[8] Particulate matter (mainly carbon) that is not burned in the power stroke is wasted energy. Stricter regulations on particulate matter(PM) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions introduced by EGR. The most common is a diesel particulate filterin the exhaust system which cleans the exhaust but reduces fuel efficiency. Since EGR increases the amount of PM that must be dealt with and reduces the exhaust gas temperatures and available oxygen these filters need to function properly to burn off soot, automakers have inject fuel and air directly into the exhaust system to keep these filters from plugging up.

By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow, however, when combined with oil vapor from a PCV system, can cause buildup of sticky tar in the intake manifold and valves. It can also cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[9] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[10]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

EGR in spark-ignited enginesIn diesel enginesEdit

In modern diesel engines, the EGR gas is cooled with a heat exchanger to allow the introduction of a greater mass of recirculated gas. Unlike SI engines, diesels are not limited by the need for a contiguous flamefront; furthermore, since diesels always operate with excess air, they benefit from EGR rates as high as 50% (at idle, when there is otherwise a large excess of air) in controlling NOx emissions.[citation needed] Exhaust recirculated back into the cylinder can increase engine wear as carbon particulate wash past the rings and into the oil.[6]

Since diesel engines are unthrottled, EGR does not lower throttling losses in the way that it does for SI engines. Exhaust gaslargely carbon dioxide and water vaporhas a higher specific heat than air, so it still serves to lower peak combustion temperatures. However, adding EGR to a diesel reduces the specific heat ratio of the combustion gases in the power stroke. This reduces the amount of power that can be extracted by the piston. EGR also tends to reduce the amount of fuel burned in the power stroke. This is evident by the increase in particulate emissions that corresponds to an increase in EGR.[7]

[8] Particulate matter (mainly carbon) that is not burned in the power stroke is wasted energy. Stricter regulations on particulate matter(PM) call for further emission controls to be introduced to compensate for the PM emissions introduced by EGR. The most common is a diesel particulate filterin the exhaust system which cleans the exhaust but reduces fuel efficiency. Since EGR increases the amount of PM that must be dealt with and reduces the exhaust gas temperatures and available oxygen these filters need to function properly to burn off soot, automakers have inject fuel and air directly into the exhaust system to keep these filters from plugging up.

By feeding the lower oxygen exhaust gas into the intake, diesel EGR systems lower combustion temperature, reducing emissions of NOx. This makes combustion less efficient, compromising economy and power. The normally "dry" intake system of a diesel engine is now subject to fouling from soot, unburned fuel and oil in the EGR bleed, which has little effect on airflow, however, when combined with oil vapor from a PCV system, can cause buildup of sticky tar in the intake manifold and valves. It can also cause problems with components such as swirl flaps, where fitted. Diesel EGR also increases soot production, though this was masked in the US by the simultaneous introduction of diesel particulate filters.[9] EGR systems can also add abrasive contaminants and increase engine oil acidity, which in turn can reduce engine longevity.[10]

Looks like that was copied word-for-word out of wikipedia - wikipedia is just filled with peoples ideas, opinions,(like mine) not nessesarily facts

On a diesel engine, the EGR valve/ system allows burnt carbon/ soot back into the inlet, to contaminate and eventually choke up the inlet manifold etc over time, choking the engine, reducing the efficiency/ performance/ MPG(and increasing the smoke output) this is the trouble with fitting an EGR to a diesel (aka compression ignition/ not SI/ spark ignition, or petrol engined to you and me) engine in practice, whatever the theoretical benifits are

I am going to install it as there are just too many people on here with the same engine as me who have suffered no ill effects whatsover. Only gains from doing it.

I was going to have my DPF deleted by a friend of the person who I bought the car off for just £350 but, after speaking to him today, it seems this guy is a mobile deleter and I dont think I want such an important item to be done by a mobile outfit??

He told me they are very thorough and remap the engine and also delete the egr at the same time.

Mobile fitters?? Any good??

There would be some debate about this -

there are good and bad garages and good and bad mobile mechanics / fitters (just because they are mobile does not nessesarily make them "bad") - a top firm would have premises, a rolling road, an established reputation etc though

• Like 1

Looks like that was copied word-for-word out of wikipedia - wikipedia is just filled with peoples ideas, opinions,(like mine) not nessesarily facts

On a diesel engine, the EGR valve/ system allows burnt carbon/ soot back into the inlet, to contaminate and eventually choke up the inlet manifold etc over time, choking the engine, reducing the efficiency/ performance/ MPG(and increasing the smoke output) this is the trouble with fitting an EGR to a diesel (aka compression ignition/ not SI/ spark ignition, or petrol engined to you and me) engine in practice, whatever the theoretical benifits are

That's exactly what mark lord was saying if you read it right ! The only benefit in his entire post mentioned about a diesel EGR is it stables idling because it reduces over feeding of air (at idling) I myself thought what he put was pretty spot on. You must've have too because you've more or less repeated the latter comments of his post .

I think I would much prefer for my car to go on a rolling road in a controlled environment both before and after removal/remap to ensure stability.

Don't get me wrong, im sure that most mobile fitters are very professional and efficient but I cant allow somebody to come to my car, plug in some hardware into my ecu, delete a load of important info, remap then say "youre done, on your way" without any thorough testing.....

Probably being over cautious maybe??

I got that post off wiki but it was from a official agency in the EU it wasn't just someone who put his own opinions on there, a friend of mine is a mechanic and he's said blank it off as the dpf won't clog half as fast, he said on a diesel you only ever see black smoke due to the egr and the black smoke you see is what a dpf catches.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

well fitted my blanking plate at the weekend 20 mins later I was up and running over last 150 mile getting approx. 9 more mpg and no clouds of smoke nice!!!! car pulls smoother not so harsh and feels as though car is breathing better.

made me realise how my car was suffering before..lol very :D now.... it sure is a egr success...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club