Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse Gear

poohbear

So today, sitting in the car park, turn engine on, crunches SO badly into reverse like i've never heard it before like im chipping a tooth of the gearstick or something. I dont understand it when I hadn't even been driving the car. To make matters worse, some cocky bloke went "Oi love there's reverse in there somewhere" Yeah thanks, I do know that, just obviously can't seem to find it!

It never goes into reverse completely smoothly but has made this awful noise 2 or 3 times now.

I was trying to find Michelle's post about this but couldn't.

Do you think I should add it to my list for them to look at on friday? I dont want to sound like im making a fuss but i dont think its normal for this to be happening.

Poohbear.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• poohbear

• hedgepig

• MichellefromEssex

• jma78b

So today, sitting in the car park, turn engine on, crunches SO badly into reverse like i've never heard it before like im chipping a tooth of the gearstick or something. I dont understand it when I hadn't even been driving the car. To make matters worse, some cocky bloke went "Oi love there's reverse in there somewhere" Yeah thanks, I do know that, just obviously can't seem to find it!

It never goes into reverse completely smoothly but has made this awful noise 2 or 3 times now.

I was trying to find Michelle's post about this but couldn't.

Do you think I should add it to my list for them to look at on friday? I dont want to sound like im making a fuss but i dont think its normal for this to be happening.

Poohbear.

I would, sounds like something not quite right with the synchro?

From what i can gather reverse does not have a synchromesh. It is therefore important that the car is stopped and clutch fully depressed. Sorry Poohbear, Don't mean to be patronising.

From what i can gather reverse does not have a synchromesh. It is therefore important that the car is stopped and clutch fully depressed. Sorry Poohbear, Don't mean to be patronising.

I gathered from her post that she was stationary and whilst you are correct about reverse gear I was referring to synchro in general.

NO synchro on reverse gears

I was sitting in a car park stationary. Turned the engine on, chose my cd track :) then put into reverse.

We have had enough of this now and i am calling tomorrow for ours to go in for a thorough check, it crunches at least twice a week, foot is definately right to the flipping floor (even tried the 2 second rule, pumping the clutch twice etc), its actually seems to happen the most occasions when the car is first started up (say reversing out of the garage) it also on regular occasions say once every couple of days goes into reverse, gear shift completely fine and in correct position, clutch fully depressed, reverse lights are on starts to go back and hey presto pops out back into neutral. I dont care about synchronisation blah blah, its a £14k car that should NOT be doing this. As well as the fooking indicators - sorry I am in a foul mood tonight lol

Quite rightfully so, Michelle. It is a shame you're experiencing this, cause your car looks lovely!! I haven't had the chance to say it to you, but it's gorge!! :)

I'm rather peed off too with our indicators, it seems to turn off okay doing right turns, but sticks on during left hand turns, every flippin' time too... :rolleyes:

Thankyou for your lovely comment. It is the same for us (when indicator is pressed down so when indicating left)

Since the radio problem seems to have fixed itself, i'm going to ask them to look at the exhaust, indicators and reverse gear on mine.

My experience with Ford is you go in for one problem and come out with 5 because they dont repair them properly.

Just my local garage thats like this though I hope!

Since the radio problem seems to have fixed itself, i'm going to ask them to look at the exhaust, indicators and reverse gear on mine.

My experience with Ford is you go in for one problem and come out with 5 because they dont repair them properly.

Just my local garage thats like this though I hope!

lol probably only so they can continually invoice Ford for warranty repairs... What up with the exhaust?

Popping out of gear usually means that the cables operating the gear-change are out of adjustment.

The crunch going into reverse will be a risk even after sorting the cable-change system, as, if you read the owners handbook, you will find that you need to pause in neutral for at least 3 seconds to let the gearbox shaft stop spinning, before pulling the lever back into reverse. I sometimes shift the lever into third gear briefly, to help the shaft stop.

Yes I have read the handbook but my car was stationary and had been in neutral for about 10 minutes. It still crunches into reverse.

sorry but that ridiculous, having to wait at least 3 secs to put into gear anyone would think we were living in the 60s

My MK7 is my 4th Fiesta I have owned (2 MK5's, 1 MK6 and now a MK7) Every one has crunched in reverse except my MK7, Id hate to tempt fate! but havent had a crunch yet after 6k miles, the whole gear box is sooo smooth.

My friends KA also crunches, must be a ford thing!!

Thanks the exhaust thing Jonny87.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow.

Michelle - I'm with you, why should we have to wait 3 seconds...come on Ford!

Patience is a virtue it seems!

My MK7 is my 4th Fiesta I have owned (2 MK5's, 1 MK6 and now a MK7) Every one has crunched in reverse except my MK7, Id hate to tempt fate! but havent had a crunch yet after 6k miles, the whole gear box is sooo smooth.

My friends KA also crunches, must be a ford thing!!

Maybe Janet and I have the only two fords whose reverse gears don't crunch!!!

Or maybe they are just biding their time............ :lol:

Haha! Maybe!

Well my car has gone in this morning and I'm collecting it at 2pm. They said they will check my reverse gear but if they need to take the gearbox out they will re-book me in and give me a courtesy car for 2 days. Not really sure the receptionist can decide this before the mechanics have looked. She agreed with me I wasn't being fussy and that I shouldn't be having these problems with a new car.

Will update you tonight when I've got my baby back. Always very nervous about garages, my mum had a brand new white metro and some work experience girl with no driving licence reversed a rover straight into it and wrote it off!

Good Luck Poohbear :) hope it comes back sorted.

Mine crunches occasionally but only when im half asleep lol

Worrying about the exhaust though, how long have you had your car poohbear?

I've only had the car a month. Will let you know what they say about that. Just sounds like it is blowing really badly.

When I get my car I think I could just about cope with the gear crunching (not that that will happen with my automatic) but if the exhaust is gone already that really sucks! Still its under warranty so get them to fix it.

Hope they look after your baby Poohbear.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club