Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Boot Light

thc6

Hi,

I've had my car nearly a year now but in that time the boot light has never worked.

Finally got round to looking at it today, but when I removed the plastic lense cover (drivers side rear corner of the boot), there seems to be no fitting for the light underneath! This might just be a stupid question, but did all mk2 models have a light fitting wired to the boot?

My only other guess is that at some point the trim has been removed and the light fitting got knocked out of place - so before I start removing trim I just wanted to make sure there should actually be a fitting in there somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

The bulb holder has probably dropped out of the lens when someone was trying to chsnge the bulb at some time and the owner couldn't be arsed to look for it.

You'll definitely have one somewhere, it just means a bit of fishing around is needed.

BTW if you didn"t already know, the bulb for that light is a T10.

Thanks for confirming, I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Is it fairly easy to remove the trim around the side of the boot?

The dealer had pulled alot of the plastic trim out trying to identify the source of a leak in the boot last year, so guessing that might have been when it happened..

Very likely.

If you click on Lennys Avatar image you should find a link for fitting an additional 12volt socket.

His description on how to remove the boot trim will be suitably useful to you.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Very likely.If you click on Lennys Avatar image you should find a link for fitting an additional 12volt socket.His description on how to remove the boot trim will be suitably useful to you.Sent using Ford OC mobile app

+1

Click on the image to the left on screen here,

Will bring you to my profile where the guides are listed,

See the guide for fitting an additional boot light, it will show you how to remove and replace panels.

Strange ford removing panels to find the source of the leak,

We all know its the bolt holes in the rear spoiler,

Seals perish allowing water in,

I've siliconed mine as preventative maintainance ;)

Here's the guide save you going through the list

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/27165-guide-to-fitting-additional-boot-light-in-ford-focus-mk2-and-mk25/?pid=146083#entry146083

Cheers for that - it wasn't a Ford dealer so that might go some way to explaining, though you'd still expect them to have come accross this issue in the past.

Think I might be having an issue with slight damp in the boot again at the moment so I might have to revisit that soon, seem to keep getting condensation inside windows. I'm guessing they didn't make a great job of it..

• Like 1

Cheers for that - it wasn't a Ford dealer so that might go some way to explaining, though you'd still expect them to have come accross this issue in the past.

Think I might be having an issue with slight damp in the boot again at the moment so I might have to revisit that soon, seem to keep getting condensation inside windows. I'm guessing they didn't make a great job of it..

I can instruct you on sealing the spoiler area if its still leaking,

But stopping the leak won't eliminate the moisture already inside the car,

Purchase these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECHARGEABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBING-DEHUMIDIFIER-TWIN-PACK-PORTABLE-CARAVAN-/110833816173?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item19ce35d26d

I know they work,

I've used them for car storage,

They trap the moisture then release it when out plug them in to a 240v mains supply socket,

They come with hangers that you can hang on the plastic hooks on either side of the boot compartment.

They will remove the trapped moisture from inside the car caused by the once leak you had.

Where should we seal then Lenny got any pics? I've got a spare tube of black silicon so might do mine

Where should we seal then Lenny got any pics? I've got a spare tube of black silicon so might do mine

Before sealing ensure you have the spoiler that you plan to keep on the car as removing after silicon can be difficult.

Its worth taking note: the colour of the silicone doesn't matter because it won't be visible when all is back together.

I didn't take many pictures when doing mine but Clive refers to it in his guide

See here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/24-how-to-fit-a-new-spoiler-on-a-mk2-mk25-focus/

The leak can effect all mk2 and mk2.5 hatchback models from 2005-2011

You don't need to remove the boot panel from the car as saw in the image below,

But if you follow clive's guide on removing the spoiler,

Also i would like to add to clives guide the following information:

when removing the bolts from the spoiler count the amount of 360 degree rotations you give each bolt until its removed.

This is important because you don't want to over tighten when refitting as you cut crack or split the spoiler.

So count the rotations taking out and count up the rotations putting them back in.

I highly recommend you line the roof with some bubble wrap or a blanket.

This will prevent the roof or spoiler from getting scratched while your sealing around the holes.

Image0356.jpg

Here's a picture to show the 5 holes you should silicone around

KGrHqNksE3OJvHQpBOSlBpnMzw60_12-1.jpg

I can instruct you on sealing the spoiler area if its still leaking,

But stopping the leak won't eliminate the moisture already inside the car,

Purchase these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECHARGEABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBING-DEHUMIDIFIER-TWIN-PACK-PORTABLE-CARAVAN-/110833816173?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item19ce35d26d

I know they work,

I've used them for car storage,

They trap the moisture then release it when out plug them in to a 240v mains supply socket,

They come with hangers that you can hang on the plastic hooks on either side of the boot compartment.

They will remove the trapped moisture from inside the car caused by the once leak you had.

OK, so I managed to retrieve the bulb holder which was somehow buried right down in the bottom corner. Seems to be working fine, although it is currently sporting a spare indicator bulb which is a bit on the dull side.

Regarding the leak after heavy rain especially overnight, there are visible water droplets on the carpet on the passenger side boot wall - would you expect this is coming from around the spoiler area mentioned above or could it potentially be coming through the light fitting or something?

OK, so I managed to retrieve the bulb holder which was somehow buried right down in the bottom corner. Seems to be working fine, although it is currently sporting a spare indicator bulb which is a bit on the dull side.

Regarding the leak after heavy rain especially overnight, there are visible water droplets on the carpet on the passenger side boot wall - would you expect this is coming from around the spoiler area mentioned above or could it potentially be coming through the light fitting or something?

I reckon you should seal around the holes on the rear spoiler in any case, because its a known common fault and in my opinion likely to give trouble in the future if not currently the cause it will prevent it in the future,

The only neighbouring pass through the body is the rubber grommet at the rear of the tail light unit.

See my guide here on how to remove the tail light unit,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43587-guide-fitting-ford-rs-led-rear-light-units-focus-mk25/

Seal around the grommet while your also sealing the spoiler this will eliminate both areas,

Only other places then that it could possibly be are the tear window seal or the slots in the roof for fitting roof bars.

But try sealing spoiler and tail light unit hole first

IMG_20130509_153115_zpsc6b2074e.jpg

. IMG_20130509_153228_zps78c1cd9f.jpg

. IMG_20130509_153256_zps41ea5c56.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club