Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Tddi - Major Oil Leak From Right Side Of Engine

Shezzy

Heya,

I've just bought a Ford Focus, however I've just realized about some issues.

There is major oil leak from the right side of engine. Possibly it leaks only when engine is running, because there when car was not running I did not see many oil dots increase on the ground.

I don't know if it's leaking from engine or just from some hoses there?

2013_11_10_18_05_36.jpg

2013_11_10_18_05_41.jpg

I would like previous buyer to contribute with some costs or if it's really serious I am going to give the car back, since it was listed as good condition without listing any issues.

Do you have idea what could it be, and how much it could cost to repair?

I would appreciate any kind of advice about that.

2. Also I could not find any service manual to check what's there.

Maybe do you have link to one of this?

Cheers

First off I think I would give it a jet wash to establish exactly where the leak is coming from might look actually worse than what it is due to length of time it looks like it's been there not exactly sure of what area I'm looking at from the photo so hard to say (I mean in relation to rocker cover ). But try giving it a clean up then post back

Rocker cover area looks fine. The air hose from turbo was covered with some oil, but I've cleaned it up, screwed it harder and it looks fine (but not sure if in long term).

I will make some better photos tomorrow, now I've rinsed it with some kitchen cleaner, however not sure if it help to see more (unfortunately don't have place/garage to jet it).

Looks to me like there could be a hole in the intercooler hose, had the same issue with my old focus

There is a certain amount in the turbo system anyway due to lubrication and build up from the exhaust gases etc, easiest way to check is hold a piece of tissue by the pipe and get someone else to rev the engine

Looks to me like there could be a hole in the intercooler hose, had the same issue with my old focus

I've checked the intercooler hose and it's fine.

However after some manual cleaning I've found out that there is oil leak going through the engine just under the vacuum pump.

I've also noticed that vacuum pump cover it's loose, so if engine runs I can see it's cover shaking a little.

However I am not sure if it leaks from vacuum pump cover (which is loose) or just from the place when the vacuum pump fits into the engine (place where pump it's driven by cam).

1. Did any one had some issue, like oil leak near the vacuum pump?

Right I've got an exact instruction how to remove vacuum pump and fit it back, but it says that I need a gasket?

However I can not find gasket anywhere, do you think that oil resistant silicon would be enough?

It leaks from vaccum pump cover.

Since I won't get spare one before Saturday, tomorrow I will try repair existing one.

I've drilled rivets and opened the pump, tomorrow I will get M5x20mm bolts with nuts. I will use existing o-ring with black loctite silicon.

Hopefully I will fit it tomorrow and see if it helped.

Fingers crossed :lol:

It works.

No leak anymore.

However let's see how it will be in long term.

Now I need to change oil and all filters. Cheers.

• 3 years later...

Hi, where did you get instructions on how to remove vacuum pump? I've got an oil leak and oil has built up in same place. Might be the same problem. I also have oil in the two black pipes coming from the intercooler? Also the air duct that goes into the air box was only half in, so I've put it in properly now the turbo sounds a lot better but I'm getting no boost now( if that makes sense) any help please.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club