Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Advice Please

mihb

Hello to everyone, i'm a new member needing some advice.

I have a 54 focus 1.6LX petrol, done 145K, and been a superb car.

For about 6 months the speedo has suddenly dropped to zero and after a few seconds back to normal while driving. Probably at least once a day. Now the lag before returning to normal is sometimes alot longer. I just did another road test, and only speedo affected, does not appear to affect any other display or radio volume/odometer display.ie no --- on odometer.

I dont want to spend wasted money on unnecessary work. Does this sound like a potential cluster issue, or more likely a sensor problem? I came across a respected forum comment that it was a faulty sensor seal on the final drive. I have no idea as i'm not that technically inclined.

can any members offer possible cause?

Many thanks

Mihb

sound like the speed sensor mounted on the gear box housing same happened to my old mk 1.5

not very easy to get most of them out but can be done

Thanks for your reply Derek, am i right that if the instrument cluster were the problem, that all the dials would misbehave, not just the speedo?

mihailo

If all the clocks were playing up then it would be the cluster fault that rears it's head on some MK1/MK1.5 cars.

Definitely sounds like the Speedo sensor (VSS) to me.

Buy a new one plus pin (you definitely need the pin as the old one will break) off eBay and get a local independent garage to fit it for you, it will be far cheaper than from Ford and will save you scuffed knuckles and plenty of swear words.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-FIESTA-SPEED-SPEEDO-SENSOR-AND-PIN-CLIP-1087548-98AB9E731AG-/280890729144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41666462b8

Hi Clive,

Many thanks for the info. Can i ask, is the eBay item of same quality as an original ford part?

Mike

I got one from ford dealers £35.plus vat 1 year garntee

Exactly the same OEM item, the pin is a solid upgrade one from the original hollow one which snaps and jams in the hole and also is OEM.

Thanks again, i've just ordered the eBay part, and will get the local garage to fit asap.

really appreciate all the help you guys have given.

Mike

Sorry to be a pain! On my way home tonight the speedo dropped and for the 1st time, the odometer became a saeries of dashes and resumed its normal display when the speedo returned to normal, lasted perhaps 20 seconds.

i am having the vss fitted tomorrow. Does what happened tonight still indicate a vss issue rather than clocks?

tthe other displays on the clocks remained as normal, just speedo and odometer affected.

Thanks

Mike

Thank you guys for all your help. The sensor was fitted thursday and all seems good!

Mike

keep us posted but I think that sorted it :)

Glad it's sorted.

Another duff VSS bites the dust :)

Sent using Ford OC mobile app