Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Trapped In Door ?

Mrken

I have just bought a 08 reg, Mondeo edge 2.2

Sometimes when I open the doors water pours out ! I asked a body shop if they could fix this, they said its meant to do this, are they correct, seems strange to me. I have only owned one car before the mondeo which was a 2000 reg Focus and I never had water pouring out of the doors.

I have had this sort of problem before ,

I had a fiesta 07 plate , when I used to open the drivers door I could hear water sloshing around inside, and it bugged me for a week or so until I bothered to look into it further..

I found out that at the bottom of the door there was a hole, which was clogged up with a fair bit of dirt so I cleared the muck out with a screw driver or something and water started to pour out for around a minute.. (Which sound like what yours is doing)

So I assume that the holes are there for the reason if water was to get in. However I can't imagine that it should actually get in! I haven't experienced it with any other car!

Try looking around where the window would go down to see if the seal is close to the window or if there is a gap which is allowing the water to pass?

I hope this makes sense (I am on nights and tired ) and helps :-)

But in answer to you question YES water is meant to come out from the bottom of the IF water gets In there..

doors arent water tight on any car, it enters by the weather strips at the base of the glass...designed in a way that water should drain out the bottom via the drain holes..if the holes get blocked, even partially, it can lead to water entering the car via behind the inner panels..also why you should make sure the sheet behind the inner panel is in good nick, tape up any tears etc. you'll be amazed how much water can enter the car because of tears in that sheet

no harm in drilling extra holes if necessary, but giver the inside a good coat of waxoyl after, making sure the holes stay clear afterwards.

• Like 1

doors arent water tight on any car, it enters by the weather strips at the base of the glass...designed in a way that water should drain out the bottom via the drain holes..if the holes get blocked, even partially, it can lead to water entering the car via behind the inner panels..also why you should make sure the sheet behind the inner panel is in good nick, tape up any tears etc. you'll be amazed how much water can enter the car because of tears in that sheet

no harm in drilling extra holes if necessary, but giver the inside a good coat of waxoyl after, making sure the holes stay clear afterwards.

Thanks a lot I don't feel so bad know.

I have had this sort of problem before , I had a fiesta 07 plate , when I used to open the drivers door I could hear water sloshing around inside, and it bugged me for a week or so until I bothered to look into it further..I found out that at the bottom of the door there was a hole, which was clogged up with a fair bit of dirt so I cleared the muck out with a screw driver or something and water started to pour out for around a minute.. (Which sound like what yours is doing)So I assume that the holes are there for the reason if water was to get in. However I can't imagine that it should actually get in! I haven't experienced it with any other car! Try looking around where the window would go down to see if the seal is close to the window or if there is a gap which is allowing the water to pass? I hope this makes sense (I am on nights and tired ) and helps :-)But in answer to you question YES water is meant to come out from the bottom of the IF water gets In there..

Cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a late reply to this one, as I haven't been on here for a while, but the car manufacturers seem to accept that they can't make the windows watertight so they just make sure that water which gets into the door gets straight out again through holes in the bottom. The driver's door on my first car (a Hillman Hunter) developed the same problem as your Mondeo due to the holes in the bottom becoming clogged - when I braked I could hear the tide coming in as the water sloshed about in the door! A few minutes work with a screwdriver in the holes resulted in a wet hand and the tide going out permanently.

Incidentally, when I had a Mk3 Granada I discovered that Ford had adopted the same approach with the sunroof. They'd obviously decided that they couldn't stop water getting in round the edges of the glass so they'd put drain tubes in from each corner of the sunroof aperture to the bottom of the windscreen pillars and the top of the tailgate aperture to get rid of it, which was fine until they clogged up and I got a wet head!

Thanks.

Bit of a late reply to this one, as I haven't been on here for a while, but the car manufacturers seem to accept that they can't make the windows watertight so they just make sure that water which gets into the door gets straight out again through holes in the bottom. The driver's door on my first car (a Hillman Hunter) developed the same problem as your Mondeo due to the holes in the bottom becoming clogged - when I braked I could hear the tide coming in as the water sloshed about in the door! A few minutes work with a screwdriver in the holes resulted in a wet hand and the tide going out permanently.

Incidentally, when I had a Mk3 Granada I discovered that Ford had adopted the same approach with the sunroof. They'd obviously decided that they couldn't stop water getting in round the edges of the glass so they'd put drain tubes in from each corner of the sunroof aperture to the bottom of the windscreen pillars and the top of the tailgate aperture to get rid of it, which was fine until they clogged up and I got a wet head!

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club