Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6Tdci C-Max Knock/hesitation

colchesterboi

hi all I have a 2006 1.6tdci c max everything seems fine with it other than when I accelerate there seems to be a knock/hesitation cant quite describe it at around 1500rpm upwards but I don't think its there in 1st or 2nd. I have since had it put on a diagnostic and it came up with P0487, P0488 and P2141 all relating to egr I believe, I suppose my question is would the egr cause this kind of problem. Thanks in advance for any help

Blank the EGR :) - I didn't have the error codes, but I had the hesitation and a bit of the knock. Also, you might have a cracked intercooler pipe, so you might want to check that out!

The EGR on the 1.6 is a pain in the cahoolies to get, but I managed to do it, and I was lost for a lot of it, so anyone can do it The easiest way though is to remove the fuel filter on top. If you cant remove it, then you need to release the EGR pipe a little from the back of the engine block, then release the EGR pipe from the valve. It took me about 3 hours to fit the blanking plate, but this was in the eight of the sun, in about mid 20 degrees, so I think the sun stroke was making it more difficult!

I had the same symptoms and they were resolved by the EGR blank and the Intercooler pipe.

thank for the reply I will give it a go tomorrow :)

No worries,

You should buy a stainless steel blanking plate (solid with no hole) as its less than a fiver, and it really is the best fiver you will spend on your car!

update

blanked the egr off today and that seemed to make things worse car wouldn't rev properly and sounded like it was hunting on idle. any other suggestions where to look or is it a trip to frauds.

Hi John,

when you fitted it, did you make sure that the seal was against the blanking plate on both side? if you didnt that might explain the issue.

hi yes I believe it was fitted correctly, i fitted it again over the weekend and had no power sounded very rough , removed blanking plate now I have no boost would egr cause no boost?

I think you might have more than one issue. The EGR plays a part in the recycling of air, but it wouldnt directly stop all boost.

When you have the engine running and stick your head int he engine bay, do you hear whistles or see any smoke? I have a feeling that the fitting of the EGR plate has uncovered other existing issues.

no there is no whistles or smoke that I can here or see, I did notice after driving with no boost that the hesitation had gone. I will have a look tomorrow just incase I knocked something without realising but I'm sure I didn't. I've read on a few other forums that the map sensor is a known fault

Not sure about the MAP sensor, I cant recall if our cars have one, just a MAF.

It does seem odd though, Perhaps something small and insignificant may have been knocked causing the issue.

well this morning I took the egr off and cleaned it again refitted the egr with the blank and I had boost back but still rough running and at around 1500rpm sometimes would lose power also the pipe on the left was sucking in every 30 secs or so, I removed the plate and it stopped the sucking noise ran smoothly but no boost. I have a video off what its doing I will try and upload it.

wow that really is weird!

I have to be honest, I am at a loss! Boost but rough with plate, or no boost at all but runs fine othewise.... You dont get any lights ont he dashboard do you with the rough running?

ive uploaded the video into the gallery as I cant seem to link it on here.