Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plug Light

dave91

hi all a couple of weeks ago after topping my focus 1.8 tdci up with fuel at asda i went to start her up again and wasnt having any of it and the glow plug light started to flash when it stopped it started straight away been fine since and within two weeks its happened again twice i turned ignition off then back on and the light went out like normal and fired up fine, what could be the cause of this ? many thanks in advance

Hi Dave,

There's a chance that its a blocked fuel filter, it could also be though that the glow plugs have died - especially if they are the originals. If the engine was warm though when you got out to top up then it shouldnt have stopped the car from starting. Worst case scenario it would normally run lumpy, but it sounds more like its an Engine Management warning (thus going back to my fuel filter thoughts).

Descrive how it is when it dies? is it when your putting your foot down? coasting?

My focus needed its fuel filter changing.

I did research and it alot of people said it could be the low quality fuel at super markets (tesco for me)

It is the fuel the tow guy in my street gets it a lot he advises using non supermarket fuel and it works sisters diesel pugeot was bad for it hasnt had any issues since a new filter and decent fuel

it doesnt die just wouldnt start until it stopped flashing or i turned ignition off then back on

Replacement generally isnt too bad, its worse for a diesel though as you need to fill the fuel filter with diesel, then prime it. Generally though the act of changing the filter isnt too difficult!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club