Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Springing/ Clunking Noise When Changing 1St To 2Nd Gear 60 Plate Petrol Zetec

Birch_RB

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2010 (60 plate) Black Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol- overall happy with it but have noticed a distinct clunk or more of a spinging noise when i change from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't happen everytime but i recon about 70% of the time i hear this noise, i have taken it to the garage they can't see any problems with it and they have taken it for a drive and have not heard to noise. Has anyone had a similar problem of know if this is a common problem?

It sounds like it is coming right out of the drivers footwell and it is loud enough for a passenger to hear as they have noticed it too.

Any help/ advise would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you.

If your speed is about 12MPH (the gear being irrespective) then the noise is the ABS completing its self-test and nothing to worry about.

Hi Captain Haddock,

Thank you for replying.

Ok that is nice to hear but it doesn't happen every time and it does sound like i am flicking a metal ruler under my feet- does the ABS make this sound every time or is it sporadic?

I just thought it was strange that the garage seem clueless on where the sound is coming from and why but it is not a ford dealership so maybe this is why.....

It doesnt happen every time, it happens on some startups and can be more noticable some times than others. Personally I know my car does it, but I never feel it or notice it!

My focus makes the twang after every start when I get up to about 8-10mph but only after a fresh engine start and only once

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 2010 (60 plate) Black Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol- overall happy with it but have noticed a distinct clunk or more of a spinging noise when i change from 1st to 2nd gear. It doesn't happen everytime but i recon about 70% of the time i hear this noise, i have taken it to the garage they can't see any problems with it and they have taken it for a drive and have not heard to noise. Has anyone had a similar problem of know if this is a common problem?

It sounds like it is coming right out of the drivers footwell and it is loud enough for a passenger to hear as they have noticed it too.

Thank you.

I too have this slightly. It happened more when i first got the car till i got used to the feeling of the clutch and chainging gear smoother. I found that i was lifting off the clutch a little too quickly. Not saying that was definitely the issue but since i have changed my driving style slightly to release the clutch fully a bit slower/smoother the sound has near enough gone. not being a mechanic i'm guessing it's possibly something to do with how the clutch releases the gear and connects to second gear. Maybe you could try modifying your driving too for a few days and see if it stops. like i said this has worked for mine and hopefully might work for you too.

With the ABS check it seems to be most focus' have this from what i have read. Some are more noticable than others and it happens around 8-12mph. It only happens after starting engine/setting off and will do it in 1st or 2nd whenever you reach the speed. Mine does it everytime and i now listen out for it knowing it's there. (i know quite sad lol)

hope this helps and please let me know if it works for you too

Lee

Indeed, this is part of my signature as the "FAQ's" of Ford.

Hi thanks again for replies, i will try adjusting my clutch control and see if that makes a difference but i am glad that it is nothing to fear- you guys were more effective than going to the garage so thank you all so much :)

Thats what were here for Rebecca! share the advice and keep the money in the pocket! Unless you want to donate to the FOC'ers Beer Fund of course ;) lol

• 5 years later...

I’ve just bought a 2010 Ford Focus 1.8 zetec and noticed this exact same noise, thought I had a problem but after reading these comments it seems quite normal. Thank everyone 

• 9 months later...
On 11/13/2013 at 1:39 PM, Birch_RB said:

Hi all,

Thank you.

I'm having similar issues with 2011 focus. Changing from 1st to 2nd gear and this clunking noise. Driving normal I can hear it and when I come into a left or right bend. Anyone any ideas on this much appreciated as mechanic is saying he can't hear it. 

Hello you need a justage.. 

1.Put the 3 gear on and lift up the car. 

2.open the Black Box in the Front of the Transmission. 

3.push the Organe Button on the cable, click. 

Finish the cable justage is new... Drive again