Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Single Flywheel Or Dual Mass ?

rayray2000

Hello.

I'm just wondering what people's takes are on changing the dual mass flywheel to a solid one?

My focus seems to be making noises when idling but it stops when the clutch is pressed. I'm guessing its the dreaded clutch that has gone. After reading up I've noticed a big debate about the dual mass flywheels being very unreliable.

I would appreciate anyone's advice and also if anyone knows how much I should roughly pay labour wise that would also be fab!

It's a 55 plate ford focus tdci estate.

Thanks

There are mixed reviews. DMF should really dampen vibrations, but some have gone with SMF and found no difference.

Its your choice, if you have the cash, buy the DMF, if not, go SMF :)

Erm hate to break the bad news....

Its the gearbox bearings not the clutch when u put your foot on the clutch you take the load of the gearbox, if it was the clutch it would make a noise when your foot was on the clutch as that is when its under load. The flywheel question without doubt i would get rid of the dual mass and get a solid conversion kit. Make sure the clutch comes with the flywheel as i believe the new clutch has springs and the old one doesnt and use new flywheel bolts.

Parts and labour prices

Solid Conversion kit £300-£350 ish

Flywheel bolts £15 ish

Gearbox bearing and seal kit £200ish

Gearbox oil £25ish

Labour £600 MAX including gearbox rebuild

Hope this helps

Stuart

Oh no!! Eek!! I just bought a clutch kit.

So does this mean I need to replace the clutch and gearbox bearings or will I get away with just the gearbox bearings?

What would the bearings be listed under is it the spigot bearing ?

It's literally making Grundy popping noises I guess when idling. And it's ok when the clutch is pressed.

Just don't have much money like most people at the moment so am trying to limit what I have to pay.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you

Erm hate to break the bad news....

Its the gearbox bearings not the clutch when u put your foot on the clutch you take the load of the gearbox, if it was the clutch it would make a noise when your foot was on the clutch as that is when its under load. The flywheel question without doubt i would get rid of the dual mass and get a solid conversion kit. Make sure the clutch comes with the flywheel as i believe the new clutch has springs and the old one doesnt and use new flywheel bolts.

Parts and labour prices

Solid Conversion kit £300-£350 ish

Flywheel bolts £15 ish

Gearbox bearing and seal kit £200ish

Gearbox Oil £25ish

Labour £600 MAX including gearbox rebuild

Hope this helps

Stuart

There is no way of accurately diagnosing your problem by just your description, personally, I would be supprised if it were to be your gearbox. Clutch & flywheels on these cars are common practice. Again my personal opinion, I would stick to the DMF, as they are there for a reason, this being to reduce vibration felt through the car. I've sat in a mondeo with a SMF conversion, and nearly lost my fillings on tickover !!! My flywheel needed replacing on my old focus (1.8 tdci 56 plate) and when it came out it was the original and the car was on 111k miles. So would you be doing that kind of mileage before changing your car ??? My prediction is that the new DMF would outlast your ownership of the car, hence it really should have clutch & DMF replaced. The single mass option is usually reserved for taxi drivers, who do mega miles a year, and will benefit from a SMF because there is no need to change the flywheel if the clutch goes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club