Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Ghia 1.8 Tdci Wont Fire

Sparx71

My 57 plate Focus Ghia 1.8 TDCi is turning over but wont fire. When I first turn it, it fires but dies immediately. Then it wont fire. The glow plug light comes on, then off. Then I try again, but the same.

The glow plugs were cleaned a few weeks ago, and the car statrted fine for a while, but now its back to this. Any ideas on problem/fix/cost??

Cheers

alot of people with similar issues on this forum have resolved the problem by replacing the crankshaft sensor

• Like 1

Hi Mark,

Could be the voltage to the plugs is the issue. The loom to the plugs can be very fragile and very easily can become a problem in its own.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, I've got it booked in for Wednesday. I'll post any results.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok..so the glow plugs were replaced as test showed 3 out of 4 were not working.. It worked fine for a couple of days, then same problem. The plugs replaced again, and a relay. Same again, worked for a couple of days and broke. The glow plugs and relay are fine, the car will now only start if I put the accelerator to the floor then switch on and fire up. Not a fix, but at least I can now get from A to B. Any ideas???

Crank sensor,accelerator pedal position sensor couple things might be worth checking

Agree with above, crank sensor and TPS worth checking.

Also if you're getting a recurring error on the glowplug relay then get a check done on the wiring and earthing point as an earth problem will rapidly break a circuit down due to reduced conductivity.

Called Ford today, they say it sounds like the fuel pump!! That's worst case scenario...I booked it in for a diagnosis, but have had second thoughts and will go to an independent first as Ford want £96 for it...

To be honest u need to check if independent has correct equipment an diagnostics abilities ur best bet be say do one hour diagnostics with ford because wit the data logger an use of symptom based diagnostics with the right mechanic using it should have good idea if it's pump but if it electrical u be look at lot more time but lots independent shops might not be able diagnose due to lack of equipment

Ok..Thanks Mick85. I'll check with my financial advisor (wife!!)

One way to say if it's fuel related is if you have a scanner that can read the fuel pressure it needs to roughly 1050 psi before it will even think about firing so anything below that might indicate something to do with the fuel system .

• 1 month later...

Got it fixed... A clean out of the EGR and replace timing sensor, change of oil and air filter too. Now starting and running like a dream. Thank god I found a decent mechanic! ! Thanks for all your comments.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club