Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Fiesta Engine Suffocating

madhatter88

hi all first post really hope some one can help im having some issues with a 99 1.25 zetec s engine as it is atm it has had a new cat and maf icv tps sensors changed and lambda sensor replaced but will stil not run right.

the car starts and idles with air box fully disconnected if u press throttle down very slowly it will pick up okay otherwise it just stalls the engine, with the car idling if i connect the air box back on it dies within seconds and will not start till air box is back off.

any help on this would be great as car now been unuseable for nearly a month

cheers rob

strange

stating the obvious probably but check for blockages in air filter including where the casing sucks the air from outside...seen many air boxes get visited by wildlife, maybe something crawled up and got stuck.

failing that, try disconnecting maf when air hose is connected see if that makes any difference

also, maybe worth removing the lambda sensor and see what happens...wondering if the exhaust is totally blocked, remember to reconnect the sensor wiring whilst trying to start with lambda removed from pipe

if those dont shed any light, take us back to the beginning in how the problem manifested, any signs of problems before it got to this stage, if any codes have been logged etc

Hi there,

Sounds odd..

Have you considered plugging an OBD diagnostic tool in to see if any error/trouble codes are coming up?

Have you had any of the pipes replaced on the engine? A mobile mechanic changed a pipe on my old fiesta that he said was blocked.

Turns out the blockage was a vavle that was meant to be there. It caused the car to idle like a tractor and keep stalling.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

hi thanks for the response it started after a trip to southend frm mk it seem like the cat had blocked so replaced the cat which had no effect then checked senors and change them just to be sure still the same

There appears to be no blockages in breathers, i was then told ecu had gone, changed that, still the same. iv got no codes or management lights, has brill spark an pump seems to be working fine

the car now idles sweet for up to 3m then dies on its own start her back up try to accel an instantly dies.....

im nw runnin out of ideas of what else to try

have you checked the fuel lines? the carbs or the injectors which ever you have ?

injectors seem clear there no build in or around an fuel filter changed less than 1000 miles checked for visible damage ie crushed or split but all look good

a gd friend of mine is a mobile mechanic an iv not known him to get stumped on anything till this motor

Have u takin off inlet manifold like when u say u replaced all these parts like new cat PCM ur talkin mad money for 99 car like did u take these off a donor vehicle who programmed PCM have u checked wiring looms for damage or checked live data while it's running

• 2 weeks later...

cat was new an they nt much think like 50 quid the rest were swaped frm runnin car same year same engine the only thing i havent check is fuel pressure the pumps workin but not sure if it pressure right as these idle i belive at 2.8 bar n jump to 3.2bar at high revs (correct me if im wrong) iv even re done timing to make sure its on point aarrgghhh .....

AN no not removed inlet y??