Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Steering/suspension Issue

sonic113

ok im in need of some help. my focus has lost it top class handling feeling. the sterring feels a little heavy and the car kind of drifts one way left some times and then right other times although it not a major pull to either side it defantly has lost it good handling. It does not pull to either side when you brake the car. it just feels a bit wondery (if thats a word lol!) its bugging me so bad as when i drive it now it gets annoying. :mellow:

I had 2 tyres replaced on the front one was wore on the inside (Passenger F wheel) and the other on the outside (Driver F wheel) so i though maybe alignment. so had it checked and its spot on no adjustment needed. so i put it up on the jack and stands to check suspension and cannot find anything thats obvious. now This is the first time i have had the mvpherson set up as i had the mk 4 fiesta before i upgraded to the focus so maybe i have missed something . I have checked ball joint and the track rod ends but all it nice and tight. also using a small flat bar i cannot get much movement from the bushes in the font arms so i presume all is fine there. also checked the front springs but no breaks and shocks seem ok car doesn't look low at one side or anything.

any ideas? :wacko:

also can some (if possible with pics) show me or tell me the method to check the suspension on the focus just incase im doing things wrong but I think im almost 100% with it. Its just a bugger when its not obvious and i love the focus handling and want it back. Honestly trying to pinpoint the issue and having to use the car daily is a nightmare. so far the tyres have done 500 miles from new and no signs of wear to either one. Im just keeping an eye and maybe it will show up if there is an issue.

any advice or tips would be greatly welcomed.

Hi,sounds like you have covered most of the bases. Where did you take your car for alignment? Also you didn't mention checking your wheel bearings . Also correct tyre pressures. I know these are obvious checks but I cant see much more you can do.

Local tyre centre. Car is 2009. I have checked tyre pressures. I think there is wee bit of play in the PS track rod end but maybe more so under car when its moving.

Needs a 4 wheel alignment the front and rear toe in needs done thats why the tyres were worn unevenly most garages dont do proper 4 wheel alignment ford did mine with toe in and out graphs showing it was spot on only then if you have the issue can you look at bent track rod ends worn ball joints etc a local tyre centre likely used the lasers which is just a front wheel alignment if the rears arent aligned then the fronts arent either do youll get dodgy handling and tyre wear

• 5 months later...

Did you ever resolve this or find out what the problem was. I've got the same problem after changing all 4 tyres and having the realignment done on a 4 wheel alignment rig and rechecked to see if there was any problems there.

It feels as though it's lost the castor effect.

sorry for delay in msg i was away.

no I never could find a problem. the car went through 100%. I was hoping that they would find a fault but no.

Im still looking into it , car drives 100% only for this. it does seem like its lost its smooth drift feel on the steering it had when i got it but if you come across anything do let me know and i will like wise.

anjum

just out curiosity what tyre pressures are you using on your focus?

are they the same as they were before you had these handling issue?

cheers

Yes same pressures. I tried changing them up and down. Little effect. If I can find a set of wheels I'm going to try putting those on. I'll keep you posted.

anjum i did the same thing and tried different pressured but made no different.

Have you tried putting the new wheels on the rear to see if that cures it?

no i didn't see the point as my wheels never got any kind of hit (pot hole, kerb ect) to cause an issue with them.

But I did try changing the rear wheels to the front and still had no joy. all wheel are balances and car is 100% in alignment with all suspensions 100% ok but i still dont get the smooth handling that the focus had. Im at a total loss but will keep looking into it.

you said you put new tyres on but didnt mention the brand and if both tyres on the axle is the same? that could be a factor in the steering feel

That's what I was asking. So no joy swapping the rears to the front.

I changed all 4 to vredestein Quadrac all weather. Not heard any adverse reports about them. I wouldn't expect any tyres to feel like this.

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning to think that this is the start of a power steering pump failure :angry:. I can't see any leaks and the fluid (still red not dirty brown) is still at max though. :wacko:

it could be but, I tried bleeding power steering and i think it helped a little. I will drive on to see what happens. if its a major problem its bound to show up at some point.

I realise that pressures have been mentioned already, but mine handles horrible when they're even slightly out - feels really jerky/unstable if they're overinflated for example. 30PSI in my fronts now, think the same in the rear. It's a little firm but it's perfect for me.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club