Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus 2.0Tdci Pcm Problems

HSC32

Hi all, new to the forum and already on the scrounge for help and advice!!

Recently bought a 2005 Mk2 Focus 2.0tdci with the Peugeot 2ltr HDi engine fitted (at time of manufacture, not retro fit). It has 109 thousand on the clock and has a full main dealer history.

It had an existing issue where it would smoke for initial couple of minutes and have a very mild misfire. So I popped it to my local garage who said that it would possibly be glow plugs....new set fitted. No change, so they then did a leak off test to ensure that all injectors were working as expected. This showed no problem either, so I spoke to the main dealer in the area who said that it was quite possible that the injectors needed recalibration, a simple but common issue. So today, it was taken in for the necessary. However, they have advised that the PCM fitted to the vehicle (apparently from new as there is no sign of any previous interference) is for a 1.8tdci engine and they, therefore, cannot communicate with the vehicle. It has totally baffled both the garage and the owner (me!)

So, after all that, the question is...has anyone heard of this issue before? Is it a Ford boo boo?! And does anyone have any idea whetherI we re-code this PCM OR get another and the processes involved.

All this just to get the car to talk to us and tell us what is actually wrong!! ARGGGHH

Cheers

doesnt make any sense to me

full dealer history and no one picked up a supposed 1.8tdci PCM in a 2litre in all that time?????

, even if thats true, cannot understand why that would stop dealer communicating with it..its still a Ford PCM

think i would forget about the supposed wrong PCM for a while and concentrate on lack of communication first

are they saying its total loss of comms, or just some...ie...can it communicate with any other modules, such as ABS

Not too sure what they are saying, to be honest!! Just that they can't recalibrate the injectors because the PCM won't pick up the phone!!

They advised that the PCM hadn't been tampered with since it was put in as the security bolts were all as they should be and nothing has been disrupted.

I find it very difficult to believe too. But it's Ford that have pointed it out.

Oh my god are u telling me a main ford dealer said try glow plugs the a leak off test with out doing a diagnostics check first they must be idiots first thing u check is faults and see is there a PCM upgrade available with any running concerns how much they charge u

Misunderstanding. The main dealer have only just got involved at the recalibration stage. Prior to that it was a local garage. There was no faults found on their diagnostic check....I am guessing because the PCM was sulking and not talking to them. It was when the main dealer went to do the upgrade check etc that they found out it was a 1.8 unit.

To be fair to the Ford guys, they haven't charged me for the hours they've spent on it.

That's really crazy u would be assuming that u should be getting all this done for free if it's factory !Removed! up don't see why u should have to foot the bill cause new PCM big money and there sure it was never changed really weird but like when u install a new PCM its blank an u upload it but now I not sure what way would work at the factory madness keep us posted with the outcome

would agree with mick...if Ford are suggesting it has the wrong PCM fitted from factory then that should be their responsibility to rectify that...especially with full history from a dealer

but still cant understand why that would stop them from communicating or programming injectors...sounds like they cant understand it either.

why not ask the dealer for the ford technical number and give them a call...

Am "working my way in" to the dealership and, considering I have only just got the car and it has been nothing to do with this dealer thus far, they are being really helpful.

Will keep you posted, but if anyone has any suggestions, just shout!

Cheers guys

I have seen cars that don't communicate before and normally u have to manually put in the number on PCM in but they must have tried that an come to conclusion it's wrong but I think there hidden issue here I sure that after car built in factory day run diagnostic checks before car leave factory u just have to look at mega factories on discovery they always run checks with diagnostics to check the operation of all components

can understand their confusion, doesnt make any sense to me either.

have never used dealer software on Fords, not sure either if the info regarding it being a 1.8tdci came from the scanner or by physically checking it.

but if all you are suffering is a mild misfire then cant have major issues.

as said, not familier with dealer software, but normally you can manually input the exact spec of PCM module you wish to communicate with...in other words, if its the software that says its a 1.8tdci, then overide it and input 2.0tdci...if they physically checked the PCM and found a 1.8tdci wheras the software states its a 2.0tdci, then overide it and input 1.8tdci.

might be enough to get it talking...

beyond that, id be struggling unless its lost all comms with engine or fueling modules, not just the programming of injectors section

I was told by my ford dealer when I had software updates done that the 2.0 tdci focus injectors don't need coding to ecu?

another thing to check is for bent pins in the diagnostic socket seen this on cars before? also you stated it has full service history if any of this was done in ford over the years this pcm problem would of come up before when they would of checked for software updates on service time?

• 1 year later...

Hi all, new to the forum and already on the scrounge for help and advice!!

Recently bought a 2005 Mk2 Focus 2.0tdci with the Peugeot 2ltr HDi engine fitted (at time of manufacture, not retro fit). It has 109 thousand on the clock and has a full main dealer history.

It had an existing issue where it would smoke for initial couple of minutes and have a very mild misfire. So I popped it to my local garage who said that it would possibly be glow plugs....new set fitted. No change, so they then did a leak off test to ensure that all injectors were working as expected. This showed no problem either, so I spoke to the main dealer in the area who said that it was quite possible that the injectors needed recalibration, a simple but common issue. So today, it was taken in for the necessary. However, they have advised that the PCM fitted to the vehicle (apparently from new as there is no sign of any previous interference) is for a 1.8tdci engine and they, therefore, cannot communicate with the vehicle. It has totally baffled both the garage and the owner (me!)

So, after all that, the question is...has anyone heard of this issue before? Is it a Ford boo boo?! And does anyone have any idea whetherI we re-code this PCM OR get another and the processes involved.

All this just to get the car to talk to us and tell us what is actually wrong!! ARGGGHH

Cheers

Hi i have the same problem on my focus 2.0 diesel sport Pcm saying 1.8 i have been told wrong fitted ?

Did you get your problem solved ??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club