Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta St Camshaft Position Sensor Fault

AgentC

if it continues to use that much oil i hope Ford are going to be paying for it!!! hope this is the end of your troubles though and you can get bak to enjoying your car rather than worrying whats going to go wrong next

Well even the dealer filled it up this time for free. Interestingly, having looked in my handbook for acceptable oil usage to no avail, I checked other Ford model handbooks online and the new EcoSport handbook states the following for oil consumption:

Oil Consumption
In the first 5,000 km (run-in period) the oil
consumption is higher, and therefore the
oil level should be checked more
frequently. O maximum acceptable
consumption in this period is one liter. After
the break-in period the engine can
consume up to one liter every 10,000 km.
If the consumption is higher, go to your
Ford Dealer.
Oil consumption also depends on driving
style and vehicle use. Special operating
conditions such as, operating your vehicle
frequently at high speeds, could increase
oil consumption.
So 1 litre max usage for the first 3100 miles. Unfortunately, the 1.6 EcoBoost engine isn't available in the EcoSport.....

So I have done the 200 mile oil test and the level seems to have gone down. I dipped the oil 5 times on a level surface letting the engine cool down for 15 minutes after a mixed 60 mile run and 3 of the 5 checks had the oil 2 marks down with the other 2 showing a bit more so maybe 1 mark down. I don't know how much the marks represent but I did a video that I think proves its burning oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=803dihUEv9I

I do compression test yourself first and bring to different dealer they don't seem car bout customers an him saying they not related if ur car need a engine they should be happy change it it's ford who foot the bill not dealer don't make any sense way this place giving u the brush off

Latest update.

I tried contacting the dealer by phone on Monday and couldn't get through so phoned Ford customer services who said they would get in touch with them on my behalf.

They tried every department and also couldn't get through.....

Cutting a long story short, I met with the service manager today and he has no record of the car being there 5 days for the "camshaft and crankshaft misalignment"!?

Anyway I took the car into the garage and the chief tech checked and topped up the oil again after also finding the dipstick very inconsistent. After <400 miles another half litre added.

I now have to leave it and go back again in 500 miles. Very tedious....

Sounds likes Friday afternoon car. You need to start making a fuss in the dealers don't let them fob you off this is not normal or acceptable

Latest update.

the chief tech checked and topped up the oil again after also finding the dipstick very inconsistent.

How can a dipstick be inconsistent? It's a simple physical measuring tool. More like he didn't give the oil enough time to run through to the sump before checking, or failed to wipe the oil off before he dipped the engine. Sounds to me like the "chief tech" doesn't know what he is talking about.

How can a dipstick be inconsistent? It's a simple physical measuring tool. More like he didn't give the oil enough time to run through to the sump before checking, or failed to wipe the oil off before he dipped the engine. Sounds to me like the "chief tech" doesn't know what he is talking about.

It actually is difficult to get a consistent reading. The dipstick on the 1.6 EcoBoost is different to other Fiesta's in that its a 1" stub at the end with screw threads for markers.

I think as you pull the dipstick out it catches the side of the tube covering the dipstick in oil above the max mark.

E134114_EUR.JPG 1.6 EcoBoost dipstick

E141337_EUR.JPG1.0 EcoBoost dipstick

Ber in mind we're talking about a senior Ford technician with years of experience and training. If he can't get a proper reading then is there hope for any of us?

Well if the dipstick design is bad there nothing the mechanic can do besides draining oil into measuring jug make note of readings an do again in a month I know this not an ideal solution but wats ur alternative

Ber in mind we're talking about a senior Ford technician with years of experience and training. If he can't get a proper reading then is there hope for any of us?

My favorite part was when he grabbed a 2 litre coke bottle cut off 4" down the neck to stick in the oil cap to top up!

Ha that's a joke I would be mortified to walk out to a customer to top up his oil with that it's not like a funnel going break bank I know it's not really an issue like they both do the job but it still with all issues ur havin if someone try sent me out to u knowin all issues ur havin I be like I not goin out to him with this ya may get some other donkey to do it haha

It doesn't really bother me Mick, just that I own a damn funnel! It makes me think are they putting the correct viscosity oil in? And did the other mechanic mis-read the dipstick and put 2.5 litres in and overfilling it?

These are the things I worry about.

that's the sort of thing you expect from a shady back street garage not a Ford dealer!

Perhaps try the ford number again for advice on where to go rather than where you have been.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Well I'm done with this dealer now and have told Ford customer services I want to take it somewhere else.

Short and sweet, mechanic (or is he?) takes car in workshop and checks the oil and deems it full. I go in and ask him to dip it again and of course this time three of the 5 threads have no oil on them but there is oil above the max mark on one or both sides (where it catches as its pulled out?)

Here is a picture:

pl4.jpg

After explaining to him the history of the problems and saying I would like the car to actually be physically checked (compression test, PCV system, turbo seals) he says its got 3 years warranty!? and not to worry.....because it has a oil light! I tell him that is a oil pressure light not oil level light.

I was told I would be given paperwork on what's been done so far. No mentioned or given to me.

I would have gone straight to the service manager but he is on holiday. I decided to bite my tongue, leave and call Ford.

I'm starting to believe a wild theory I have. Anyone want to hear it?

Oh and one thing I noticed when waiting. Looking at the cars in the showroom there was a B-Max having its battery charged and I noticed the coolant bottle was on the max line. On my ST it is on, or just under, the minimum line. Something (else!) or nothing?

They not proper mechanics if u have problems ur having they should been onto ford technical hotline if they don't know wat they doing they talk them through it an if they can't fix it they sent out ford engineer now these guys know what there doing an for him say don't worry has oil light that most ridiculous statement ever I really feel for u bud I probably would have headbutt him when he said don't worry there's an oil light gobshite

Sounds a bit like the headgasket may be gone, are you sure there is no blue smoke or steamyness when driving? Or perhaps the coolant never was filled ckrrectly at the factory, ha e you had the temp control for the internal blower set to full or very high as it may be an air lock that's worked it's way out of the system. I would go to a different dealer, and I wouldn't tell them that I had been anywhere else just say you were desperate for the car to be checked and everywhere else were fully booked that way you should if anyone is trying to do you over get a new opinion rather than a recycled one.

I hope it isn't the head gasket. I had my dad follow me before and he said not much was happening when I was going along.

I have noticed that when I'm idle a while at lights I see white steam/smoke starts to come out even at 10 degrees plus. My coolant header tank is a tiny bit under minimum but I looked on Google images and it seems split with half the ST's being on max and the other half on minimum. Confusingly, the manual explicitly states I should add coolant immediately if it is on the minimum line?

I have done another video to show what it is like from cold (ambient 7 degrees c) and what is in the exhaust pipes.

Another ST for comparison.

Whether its a bit blue or not Will have to come from someone else but from my phone screen it looks a little blue, it may only smoke when your off the gas as opposed to on it depending on where it may be leaking.

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

My ST also seems to smoke noticeably more than my previous car did (2010 zetec-s). When I was stuck in bad traffic in the dark a while ago and only moving short distances every so often so the smoke was very noticeable due to the car behind's headlights. I've also noticed it when stopped at traffic lights, as the wind changes every so often some blows past my window lol. This too is when the ambient temperature isn't particularly low. As far as I can see nothing is wrong with mine, none of the fluids (except petrol!) are being used and the coolant is on the join of the tank so the level can't actually be seen precisely (same as my other car was all the while I had it).

All I can think is it's either something to do with the exhaust pointing backwards and not down like the previous car, thus being more obvious, or it simply burns more fuel at idle?

I would say that the extra steam comes from the fact that the backbox isn't drilled like on the mk6 and 7 fiestas the little drill hole lets condensation drain out of the exhaust system and normally makes most fiestas sound a bit like they are blowing until all the water is expelled, almost any ford I have ever seen is full of coolant to the max line as the factory should fill it to specification, the minimum line on the coolant expansion bottle is the minimum amount of coolant required to fill all of the system including the radiator and heater matrix, I know the 1l ecoboost has 2 thermostats to hold coolant in the engine it's self to help it warm up quicker, if the ST engine does this then perhaps it's more suseptable to air locks and so not filled properly, however I would have thought that the garage where you brought it new would have checked the oil and coolant atleast as a pre sales check much the same as they do with second hand sales.

It's funny you say the 1.0 EcoBoost would be lower (and my dad's 1.0 is at a similar level to mine) because the B-Max having its battery charged in the showroom of my dealer yesterday also had the 1.0 engine in it and the level was at max!

Just seems totally random.

To me any half self respecting dealer mechanic who inspects a new car will atleast check the levels and top it up as required, there would be no real reason not too, run the car for 10 minutes with the fan heater on full to make sure there aren't any bubbles in the system and also as said top up where required.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update the thread as the car is going to another dealer on Tuesday. Original dealer told Ford customer services their is nothing wrong with the car....

At the last check of the dipstick the tech declared it full of oil but I disagreed as to my eye it was right in the middle of min/max. That was on 3rd of January.

Here is a picture I did earlier today with engine up to temp and switched off for 10 minutes.

eP5.jpg

The oil seems dark aswell, mine in my old zetec se motor is still brown and clear after 5k