Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MKII focus water in plug wells

old cruiser

Interestingly enough I have been reading a couple of articles, with regards to water getting into the spark plug areas (between the cams as it were) and in one case blew the plug out of the head , I guess due to the plugs sitting in water causing corrosion etc, seemed to be more so with the 1.6 engine , just interested to know if any one else has heard of this or has had the problem? ; had a quick look at mine, just to see what could cause this and only thing I suspect is; if it's raining excessively or a pressure washer is used when cleaning the car , there is a chance of water getting past the rubber seal/ weather seal at the front of the scuttle (seals to bonnet when closed) and straight down in between the cams and soaking plugs, what were Fords thinking, it's an accident waiting to happen I reckon!!

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete

I would have thought the heat from the engine would soon dry the water out of the gaps?

if water gets in there best thing is get to a airline in a petrol station and blow it out ;)

As it turns out Steve, washed the car today and water in plug wells!! I understand there are some revised washer jets possibly with rubber seal so will be contacting my local Ford dealer tomorrow to see if I can get this sorted under warranty.

Cheers Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update guys, took car into dealer today and got the new revised washer jets fitted, along with rubber seal between bonnet and jet, looks like a decent seal where the jet itself seems to be slightly recessed into the seal to help stop movement I presume, all done under warranty, was expecting to go in guns blazing about all this but there was no quibble at all

so hopefully next down-pour or car wash = no leaks!!

Cheers Pete

• 2 years later...

just bought mine two weeks ago from Dees of Croydon (it is a 1.8L petrol)and still on a 3 months warranty. When trying to adjust the washer jets onto the windscreen I noticed water leaking from the jets onto the engine. On the 1.8L petrol there is a plastic shield over the engine so the water will not reach the spark plug wells but still ideally there should not be any water ingress.

Took it back to Dees and they replaced the washer jets with new ones. The new ones sit on a rubber seal.

Since I still have 2 and 1/2 months warranty outstanding, is there anything I should be particularly looking out for before it expires?

just bought mine two weeks ago from Dees of Croydon (it is a 1.8L petrol)and still on a 3 months warranty. When trying to adjust the washer jets onto the windscreen I noticed water leaking from the jets onto the engine. On the 1.8L petrol there is a plastic shield over the engine so the water will not reach the spark plug wells but still ideally there should not be any water ingress.

Took it back to Dees and they replaced the washer jets with new ones. The new ones sit on a rubber seal.

Since I still have 2 and 1/2 months warranty outstanding, is there anything I should be particularly looking out for before it expires?

weird my mk1 1.8 with the bonnet shut the washer jets sit so that they dont drip above the sparkplugs which trhey never have done anyway but if they did they way they sit means water would drip and miss the engine completely weird how ive never had this issue yet seems mk1.5 upwards do you can buy spark plug covers that will prevent it from happening should someones leak which for 20 quid is a good investment

• 5 months later...

Interestingly enough I have been reading a couple of articles, with regards to water getting into the spark plug areas (between the cams as it were) and in one case blew the plug out of the head , I guess due to the plugs sitting in water causing corrosion etc, seemed to be more so with the 1.6 engine , just interested to know if any one else has heard of this or has had the problem? ; had a quick look at mine, just to see what could cause this and only thing I suspect is; if it's raining excessively or a pressure washer is used when cleaning the car , there is a chance of water getting past the rubber seal/ weather seal at the front of the scuttle (seals to bonnet when closed) and straight down in between the cams and soaking plugs, what were Fords thinking, it's an accident waiting to happen I reckon!!

Cheers Pete

Hi I have just encountered this problem. What can you suggest I do?

• 6 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club