Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2003 Wet Inside

mcd840

as above, i have fitted a new pollen filter seal to my mates focus as the old one was beggered, car is still wet inside,. what to do next ? i was going to put a silicone seal along the top of the scuttle panel where it meets the windscreen just as a precaution

Have you cleared the drainage holes out at each end. Also check any grommets where cables pass through. Had a similar issue with an old Puma and a good clear out and poking some wire down the drainage holes sorted it. I wouldn't put silicon on the scuttle panel. It will look a mess.

Have u checked ac leak off pipe I always put 3m on where window meets cover

quick question, just been googling about this, i know what the "scuttle" panel is but what is the "cowl/cowling" that people go on about??

also just to add this problem only started after a garage fitted a new wiper motor to the car. the scuttle panel at the driver side is raised in the corner where it doesnt sit againt the windscreen correctly, could this be causing it ? i know the pollen filter is at the other side which we fitted the new seal to.

If the scuttle isn't sitting flush then that could well be a point of water ingress.

I'd suggest lifting the panel and checking all seals underneath then bedding the scuttle back down properly.

Also was the filter seal kinked or gaped out in any way?

If the scuttle isn't sitting flush then that could well be a point of water ingress.

I'd suggest lifting the panel and checking all seals underneath then bedding the scuttle back down properly.

Also was the filter seal kinked or gaped out in any way?

when you say kinked or gaped out are you refering to the new seal? in that case i suppose it was, just the way it come in its original ford packaging. when the garage had the wipers of replacing the motor they seem to have broken a couple of the little clips that secure the scuttle down to the car body. all this coluld have been prevented if they had just replaced the relay and not the motor. there was nothing wrong with the original one. we have tried to get the wipers of but they wont budge. when the garage tried to get them of for the motor replacement they ended up hitting them with a hammer. and also can you tell me what people mean when they refer to the "cowl/cowling" ??

Cowling is a generic term for any plastic covers or panels.

Does sound like the filter seal is leaking.

Check the wet areas inside the car first, if it feels sticky it could be aircon coolant, not sticky will just be water.

You may find applying silicone sealant around the filter seal will help in the long run.

• Like 1

Cowling is a generic term for any plastic covers or panels.

Does sound like the filter seal is leaking.

Check the wet areas inside the car first, if it feels sticky it could be aircon coolant, not sticky will just be water.

You may find applying silicone sealant around the filter seal will help in the long run.

it is defo just water, it finds its way to the driver and pass footwells, also i did have the glovebox out and there was water up behind there, that was before i replaced the seal but i think next step is attack with a sealant gun.

• 2 weeks later...

havent had a chance to seal anything as yet due to it being my mates car not mines and being at work, weather etc... but water leak is a whole lot worse, the passenger side is dry since the fitment of a new pollen filter seal, now the drivers side has a puddle front and rear, i got into the footwell the other night and its running down from up behind the dash, but cant see exactly where, i really need to get the wiper arms off, they are on solid. my mate did say when the garage fitted the new wiper motor they had alot of hastle removing them but i need them of to get along under there and the bottom of the windscreen all sealed up nicely. any good methods of getting the wiper arms off ? tried a hammer but no joy. the moisture is affecting the electrics now aswell, speedo panel and wipers going daft at thier leisure.

cheers

we got the wiper arms of after getting the proper pulling tool, got the scuttle panel off, everything underneath was fine, (not that you can see much!) the new pollen filter seal seems to have stopped water getting in the pass side but the water seems to be pouring in the drivers side, i had look up the drivers footwell in the top right corner behind the dash, you can see its wet up there so im thinking its getting in up there somewhere but cannot be seen as to where, the car is like a swimming pool now, any thoughts ?? we did think behind the front wing or wheel arch liner ? or do you think it will be a waste of time taking this apart to look.

cheers

There is a smoke technique used to find damaged or insecure fixtures and fittings which would lead to water ingress. The car is filled with an odourless dense smoke which can be seen leaving the vehicle at the leak point which can then be sealed using the most suitable materials and techniques.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club