Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle Between Centre Console & Passenger Seat!

SatTechUk

Hi,

This is my first proper thread on FOC!

I know threads regarding similar rattles may have been created previously, but neither of the solutions worked for me and the rattles seem to be different to mine.

I have a 59 Plate Silver Focus MK 2.5. Over the past 4 months a weird rattle has started coming from what seems to be near the seat track in between the centre console (where the handbrake is) and the passenger seat. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd gear etc the rattle gets louder and then quieter as I drop gears. The funny thing is, if I put my hand in the seat track (near the cylindrical metal tube with the yellow sticker) in between the centre console and the passenger seat the rattle stops. The minute I take my hand away the rattle starts again!!!

It is so annoying and is very sporadic. I cannot replicate the rattle but it happens more or less everyday. I know you are all very knowledgable so any help, suggestions, ideas and potential solutions will help.

Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Could be something like a coin in the seat rail or a nut/bolt/screw under the console itself.

A good root with a torch may be in order.

If you want to look around the handbrake area you can remove the surround by undoing the two screws at the top of the trim where it goes under the arm rest.

The surround pulls up from the back so you can gain access to take a look inside the console.

Mine is a pre-facelift, had a rattle from similar place. Turned out it was the seat belt buckle, only way I have managed to stop it was connecting the passenger seatbelt up. Figured it out because whenever there was a passenger in the car, rattle was gone! :)

My passenger belt buckle has what appears to be a moleskin pad stuck to the outside of it.

Maybe a factory fitted solution?

Mine also has that pad stuck to it, the noise seems to becoming from inside the buckle! There are leather buckle covers on eBay that I did consider trying in case that did it before I resorted to connecting the belt up.

Wow! Thanks for all of your replies and possible solutions. I have checked the belt buckle and the unit where you clip it into, it does not seem to be either. I will try and clip the belt buckle up to see if that eliminates the noise.

The suggestion regarding a loose bolt or screw seems very plausible. It's funny though because as soon as I put my hand in the centre it stops!

I will try all of the above and get back to you all.

Tried all of the above apart from checking for screws since I am work. No luck so far. At one point I thought it might have been the actual passenger seat back plate (I had read that somewhere) it was not.

Any more suggestions? Thanks guys.

Good evening all,

Any other suggestions regarding the above?

Thanks.

I would take off the side panel of the centre console and have a nose, it could also be something to do with the bar under the seat so you can pull it forward (not sure if 5dr has that) but mine sometimes gets stuck and wont lock, so seat can be pushed forward or backwards.

Hi Ed.

Thanks for your reply. I will try the side panel. Any idea or guide on how i do this?

Many thanks.

The lower part of the console is one piece until you get to the extensions into the footwells.

That's the bit I mean, I managed to get my hand through there when routing my AUX cable :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club