Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disconnecting Battery

Hyrule

Thought I'd ask to be sure.

I want to disconnect my battery for about 10/15mins to force the car to relearn, as my miles to empty is about 20-30 miles out of sync. My battery looks pretty similar to the picture below. Am I correct in assuming I just loosen the nut marked with the yellow arrow and lift the negative connection up off the battery?

Cheers

H

battery_zps4209dd37.jpg

you will need your radio code :)

Disconnect live first and touch to the earth terminal to discharge any residual charge and static that may cause a feedback in the electrical system.

Ad stated DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOU HAVE THE RADIO CODE FIRST!

I would strongly recommend you disconnect the negative terminal first!

As a spark I have seen many cases of arcing and faults where sparks and bangs are produced of short circuits... The last thing you want to do is be disconnecting that positive terminal and short circuit it to earth by accidentally touching your spanner on the body of the car!!

You will probably find you have welded your spanner to the car and also filled your pants with a smelly substance!

• Like 1

My bad.

You are correct.

I'm on some fearsome painkillers at the moment and my brain is up my hole.

Still recommend touching live and earth cables together though.

Especially important if working with or near airbag systems and belt pretensioners.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Cheers all for responses, I just followed the Haynes manual which said just disconnect the negative if you are simply resetting the ECU. Left it unplugged for an hour, only had to reset date, time and input radio code. Then took the car for a 30min drive around town, A roads and a dual carriageway. Miles to empty seems to have jumped up by another 10miles, but hopefully will adjust to normal after a couple of fill ups.

Yeah James ninjaed your photo of the battery :D, mines positioned in such a way you cant take an accurate photo of it and yours was identical bar that. lol

I have been lucky so far, I tend to just pull the positive rather than the negative. Its not the greatest idea, but accessing the negative is a pain in the backside. I trust my luck wont run out one day!

I have been lucky so far, I tend to just pull the positive rather than the negative. Its not the greatest idea, but accessing the negative is a pain in the backside. I trust my luck wont run out one day!

It is a nightmare on mine as well. I dropped my spanner down the side of the battery loosening the nut on the negative. I did swear a couple times. :D

lol, I go with the rule of have nothing metalic when removing the lead. I tend to just loosen the nut, put all metal on the scuttle panel and then pull the positive lead off. Never had a problem, and the amount of times I have had to do this on this car is countless and have had no issues, so I dont think I am doing anything too wrong!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club