Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Removal - South Wales

south_bound

Hi all,

I have just registered here, but have followed a lot of the threads as I try to understand my focus a bit better.

it looks like I need to sort out my dpf and have found a couple of places which can do this near to Swansea, where I will be over Christmas. They both seem to know what they are doing from speaking with them - they plan to strip out the dpf and put the empty cannister back in so it looks the same, and then delete on the software side. One has also offered to blank the egr and delete from the software, while the other has offered a remap, both a a smallish extra cost. Both claim to have done lots of Focus jobs and coming in at about £320-£350 +vat. Is there anything else I need to ask about to help decide, as I am a bit nervous on this one in case I am left with a car full of problems later on, especially as I need to do a long drive afterwards and don't want to get stuck at the other side of the country over the holidays. Has anyone had any experience gettingt his work done in that part of the country and could make recommendations? For the egr, am I better off just fitting the blanking plate myself?

On another related question, my red engine management light, yellow engine block light and "engine systems failure" light are all on permenently, but the car is driving normally. The only problem is a clear refusal at high revs eg. when I have to pull out quickly at a junction, which to be honest I don't really do that a lot. Is this what is known as "limp home mode" - someone told me that it limits the engine to 3000rpm which might be what I have experienced? If so, then does it really matter if I never go above this rpm?

Sorry about the long first thread, but just trying to get my head around all this. BTW, this is for a Focus Mk2 (2007) 1.6TDCi Ghia, 85,000 miles.

Well that is good timing on my part!

How will the MOT checks be performed - if its just a visual then replacement of the (empty) canister should be ok. I'll still follow up on this, so the question on recommendations in the Swansea area still stands...

mine been removed- kept the canister and welded up. its purely going to be visual check(as they cant see whats inside) so its no issue if left in place!

No it wont the car will be made to do a force regen on the test its not visual as they know they are removed that's from an mot tester youre car will also be illegal and in an accident insurance companies will have it checked as well no dpf then its illegal so no insurance money for you either read what it says they are aware companies are removing them they know how its done they know just looking is a waste of time thats why it will be tested if there is doubt they can remove the exhaust to check at youre cost they will also have the readings so diesels will get an emission test so to speak

Prove it... That's all I can say.. where does it state ask this is going to happen

South you need to have a fault code read before doing the dpf removal and find out the engine faults first. This may be a serious fault or not.

That auto express article already lost its credibility by saying diesel engines are tested for emissions and I think the term removal is being misunderstood. Only the internals are being removed the dpf casing will still be fitted tobthe car. The other type of removal would be to fit a straight pipe this indeed would be an mot fail

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

read the vosa site...quite clear that dpf removal will be failed but no mention whatsoever of it being just a visual check.

i would seriously think about sitting this out till everything is in place, even then it can be changed...a conversation with vosa themselves wouldnt do any harm, they're not a secret society, if they plan to go beyond just visual they will be happy to tell you soon as decision is made

The government is fully aware of all the various methods for removing a DPF, rest assured they will work out how to test for one whether the canister is visually intact or not.

They are determined to stamp out DPF deletes and certainly won't be fooled by a bit of cosmetic welding.

Big brother strikes again.

Okay the statement from the mot tester is that a dpf fitted car will pass a smoke test of 0.5/m a non dpf wont meaning the smoke test will be lowered on all cars with euro v or v1 emission standards so pre 2008 it shouldnt matter unless the smoke test is lowered for them as well but for 2010 car onwards you will not pass a 0.5m smoke test without the dpf vosa will supply via there dayabase all info so when the cars booked in for an mot tge tester gets a vosa sheet which shows past fail points and advisories this will also state if a dpf was fitted the dpf casing is to be checked for seams or welds if any are found the tester can issue a fail you will have to appeal should it be tapped with a hammer and sound hollow he can issue a fail youll have to contest it chances are many wont even pass the smoke test be aware theres also rumour but not official the egr will be examined also and checked mot tesyets dont have all the info it will be available january but it states they will check for the presence of a dpf also info will be supplied as to yhe dpfs location on the car and likely removal or cut out points where the brick is removed decats are also going to be checked now such as straight through pipes

Unfortunately we now have 2 threads talking about the new rules on dpf testing at MOT time. I'll let the other one deal with that, but would still be interested in any advice on how to chose a best outfit to do the job (if I do decide to get it done). Also any thoughts on egr blanking plate limp mode questions?

since we cant give out radio codes can we advise on how to make youre car non road legal and non insured?????

If you have a dirty diesel and the DPF isn't able to regenerate then something is broken so get it fixed, or your choice of car / engine was flawed. This is EXACTLY the reason I ditched diesel for petrol and the 1.0 Ecoboost engine is a fantastic alternative to a shrunk down lorry engine ;0)

OK, I think we all now have enough to go on to consider the risks of doing this relating to MOT and can make up our own minds. I am booked in to run some diagostics before I decide what to do next.

Moving on, I would still be interested in any advice on egr blanking vs. software deletion, and also how to know if the car is in limp mode (is it only noticable when trying to rev over 3000?).

youll know when its in limp mode there will be little t no power when trying to pull off the engine light will be on and in most cases you wont even get past 40mph and as you said the revs wont go above 3k most have the software deleted and the egr blanked from what ive read on here

Yep deleted and running blank plate too here. Car will be very hard to drive when in limp mode. You will know it lol

usually when you pull away from a roundabout and end up with a bus almost in youre drivers door lol

Just watch out, because the MOT will probably fail from February with no DPF :(

Indeed, dont get me wrong, I prefer the idea of DPF removal. I dont like to be bent over the desk anymore than any other member, likewise, I like the idea of what the DPF does, they just need to find the middle ground!

The problem is, if they do get picky, then they could fail a car, and then your left with a big bill to get you by. Really we need the unlucky ones to come forward with their stories of MOT failure so that we can learn what is happening so that we can learn to work around it (sorry, I mean with it, honest!)

• Like 1