Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodyear Tyres For 1.6 Focus Or Others?

Old George

I'm looking to replace all my tyres. i have Firestones with less than 3mm on the front, and 'cheap & cheerful' on the rear.

I've read good reviews on both the following...........

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance

Goodyear Efficient Grip
The Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance has the better rating, and both tyres come in around the same price fitted (£76 - £80)
First and foremost i'm looking at safety, so i want good handling in the wet, and a tyre that will give decent fuel consumption and fairly decent tyre life.
Any of you good people using the above tyres or is there anything better around my budget maximum of £350?

Im not on them yet, but I intend to be sometime soon. Like you said there seems to be quite a bit of difference in reviews for the two types though

Goodyear Efficient Grip

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip-Performance.htm

I intend to be on these next too, the EfficientGrip Performance

Im not on them yet, but I intend to be sometime soon. Like you said there seems to be quite a bit of difference in reviews for the two types though

Goodyear Efficient Grip

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip-Performance.htm

I intend to be on these next too, the EfficientGrip Performance

Thanks for the links Steve, so it looks like three of us might be fitting them in the not too distant future? Unless better options are available in this price range.

When I bought my Focus it had Michelins fitted with about 3mm on and I found the wet grip to be rubbish.

4-wheel alignment check done; it was all fine.

Fitted four Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (12000mls ago) and they've transformed the car into one that doesn't feel like it's partly on ice. Even 1 to 2 inch standing water at verges of the lanes doesn't result in any significant "dive for the ditch" type motion.

Downside is that as might be expected of summer tyres with a fairly tight tread pattern they're not very good in snow and ice even at low speeds.

In winter and if your car has the option in the dash settings then :-

1. Turn off ESP before you start
  2. Change to the steering assistance to "Sport"; a little heavier steering, but more feedback

as both these will help a little.

HTH

Thought I'd pop in here and give my 2p worth.

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 2.0L Mk2, both the front tyres needed changing (and tracking too!)

I've spent many hours researching new tyres. The best value for money was the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance, recommended by most. I managed to get 2 delivered for just under £64 each [205/55R16 91W's] (a mechanic friend is fitting them, valves, balancing etc for a fiver each) from camskill.com, I've not got them on yet so can't comment from personal experience but Which? magazine recommended them in April 2013's issue and they normally hit the mark.

Well that's it chaps, i've ordered four for delivery and fitting on Thursday morning. Purchased off Tyres on the drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread:

So I have had the GoodYear EfficientGrips for about a month now.

They seem smooth, and are nice and quiet. But one thing I am disappointed with is the wet performance - even when the road is slightly damp, wheelspin occurs far too easily. Wheelspin was very rare with my old Michelin's, but on these, even the slightest dab of the throttle causes wheelspin (eg taking off at roundabouts), which is very annoying. Doesn't give much confidence.

Anyone else experienced frequent wheelspin?

As above. Crackin' tyres!!

Although my sister did manage quite an impressive wheel spin when trying a hill start...I'll leave those for her instructor when she starts again in the new year...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

She's been doing really well. She suddenly realised that the ground wasn't level and panicked. And nor will she believe me that we had done a couple of successful hill starts the previous day going the opposite way.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

The pricing for the performance version is alot cheaper compared to the standard for me. The ratings are alot higher for the performance versions also.

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance
205/55 R16 W (91)
£78.17
Fully fitted price

Goodyear EfficientGrip
205/55 R16 W (91)
£103.39
Fully Fitted Price

Just to update this thread:

So I have had the GoodYear EfficientGrips for about a month now.

They seem smooth, and are nice and quiet. But one thing I am disappointed with is the wet performance - even when the road is slightly damp, wheelspin occurs far too easily. Wheelspin was very rare with my old Michelin's, but on these, even the slightest dab of the throttle causes wheelspin (eg taking off at roundabouts), which is very annoying. Doesn't give much confidence.

Anyone else experienced frequent wheelspin?

Summer tyres are not designed to work at under 7 degrees centigrade -

At higher tempratures the Goodyears may work a lot better in the wet, pressures are important too, and getting some heat into the tyres (eg higher pressures / driving harder/ warming the tyres up)

The Goodyears have a high silica content that increases efficiency/ MPG/ longevity and reduces noise but is not as grippy at low temps - unfortunately every tyre is a compromise

A couple of extra psi could make a big difference becase it helps to get heat into the tyres - improving grip, nitrogen- filled tyres also help, because you can run a higher cold pressure than with air (with the same warm pressure)

keeping the weight forward will help traction too, like if you are carrying a load, keep it forward of the rear wheels, in the snow, i fill my footwell up with 80kgs and detune the engine - this turns the car from "undrivable" to good in the snow

With 360+Nm FWD and no form of traction control i get wheelspin all the time, coming out of wet roundabouts, or even in a straight line - all the way up to 80, oops i mean 70, you just get used to it and drive the car to the available grip, its the difference between a "driver" and just someone who drives, just be smoother/ use a little less throttle or short shift when the wheels start to spin

• Like 1

Summer tyres are not designed to work at under 7 degrees centigrade -

At higher tempratures the Goodyears may work a lot better in the wet, pressures are important too, and getting some heat into the tyres (eg higher pressures / driving harder/ warming the tyres up)

The Goodyears have a high silica content that increases efficiency/ MPG/ longevity and reduces noise but is not as grippy at low temps - unfortunately every tyre is a compromise

A couple of extra psi could make a big difference becase it helps to get heat into the tyres - improving grip, nitrogen- filled tyres also help, because you can run a higher cold pressure than with air (with the same warm pressure)

keeping the weight forward will help traction too, like if you are carrying a load, keep it forward of the rear wheels, in the snow, i fill my footwell up with 80kgs and detune the engine - this turns the car from "undrivable" to good in the snow

With 360+Nm FWD and no form of traction control i get wheelspin all the time, coming out of wet roundabouts, or even in a straight line - all the way up to 80, oops i mean 70, you just get used to it and drive the car to the available grip, its the difference between a "driver" and just someone who drives, just be smoother/ use a little less throttle or short shift when the wheels start to spin

Thanks for the useful advice FOCA.

I always used to run my tyres at slightly higher pressures than the standard pressures inscribed on the door frame of the car. Since I got these fitted at a Ford dealership (my car was in for some other work at the time), I assume they must have just put the standard pressures. So next time I roll by a petrol station, I will inflate them a little higher - to like 33psi.

On the other tyre thread, I was told that the tyres need to bed in for a hundred miles or so, to get rid of the chemicals that preserve the rubber from factory. I am assuming this is a contributing factor to the poor grip, in addition to the temperature/pressure sensitivity? (Edit: My last set of tyres weren't winter tyres but they handled far better than these.)

These tyres are £65ea delivered at oponeo. I've used them a few times now, delivery can be 4-5days depending on stock I imagine. I used them last for a set of winter tyres for my Focus, bring on the snow. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club