Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powershift Revs Up And Down And Other Problems

KAR

Several problems from PowerShift. (1) When driving at constant speed with constant pressure on throttle revs go up and down by 100/200 rpm every half second. I've uploaded a video at http://youtu.be/3Wxt-lXkZiU. When revs drop engine gets louder. (2) Gear changes are rough - in drive and manual. (3) Cold start there is often a clunk coming from the engine as if it is in D even though it is in P. Sometimes there is a crashing of gears. No levers or peddles are touched. (4) Occasional tapping sound from gearbox every half second when stationery then speeds up when in motion. Occasionally accompanied by hot smell from under the car (not the engine). I've been to Ford dealer but car always behaves itself when at the dealer.

• 8 months later...

got similar rev counter issues with my 2010 galaxy but none of the other gearbox symptoms. Did you get anything sorted?

Sorry for delay in replying: been on vacation. The problem got worse. Car started to display 'Transmission Limited Function' after which only gears 1+3+5 would work or just 2+4+6. Switch off and on again and all gears worked though initial problems continued. Eventually had to have clutches replaced by Ford dealer. Cost £1200. That fixed problem (1) in original post and initially problems (2) + (3), but (2) + (3) came back. Then one day 'Transmission Limited Function' warning appeared and display said car was in gear 7!!! Car went back to dealer. It took the dealer two weeks to find out what was wrong. It turned out that when the clutch was replaced the speed sensor should have been replaced as well. It then took dealer a few weeks to get the part and fit. Dealer did this free of charge and gave me a free major service. This fixed (2) and (3). Issue (4) continued infrequently until I eventually worked out it was the cooling fan! I have no idea why the issue (4) tapping sound speeds up when the car speeds up because I would have thought the cooling fan would spin constantly, but it only occurs when the fan is on.

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...

With regards the limited transmission, I have the same problem and the garage are saying communication problem with ecu so as it starts normally and drives normally appears to be cold related how could it be the clutch as if it was clutch car would be continuous with the problem 

• 8 months later...

Hi. This being my first post, i have the same problem in my 2012 Ford galaxy Automatic Transmission. The Coast Clutch was replaced and the Gear Box reconditioned. After driving for a few thousand miles it comes up with the TRANSMISSION LIMITED FUNCTION and TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION. The garage who did the Gear Box has done a diagnostic several times and said that the Mechatronic unit needs replacing. But just today, the sign appeared on the screen and they did the diagnostic and have given me the code as P0135. They said that there lies a fault with the Engine and I need to get the P0135 code issue resolved. If it continues having the same messages, then they will need to change the mechatronic unit. Can any one suggest or advise where do I make a head start. Can it be an Engine fault which brings up the Fault code and the Transmission Malfunction messages on the screens.  Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have a Ford Galaxy 2011 automatic, 2L diesel - 71k.  There was the start of a problem where the engine would rev slightly when driving at a steady speed.  It was as if the automatic gear box did not know which gear to be in.  This was worse when all the family were in the car and the gear box was working harder.  My local garage recommended replacing the gear box oil - cost was £105 inc VAT.  Happy to say that the problem was solved and the car drives so much better.

It was explained to me that when the gear box is putting under stress the oil warms up.  Changing the oil is a good starting point to see what the problem is.  The mechanic said that the oil was quite dirty and the filter needed cleaning.

My car drives as it should now - so money well spent.

• 10 months later...

I purchased Ford Galaxy 2.0 Powershift Automatic at 66,000 miles with no record of gearbox oil change. Rough gear change, when travelling at constant speed the engine would rev +/- 200 rpm and would fluctuate between gears. When starting off on a hill the car would struggle but when you increased the accelerator the car would kick into gear sharply and spin the wheels. At 70,000 miles I changed the gearbox oil. The above became more frequent along with a fault on dash “Transmission Function Limited” and only a selection of gears would be available (1st, 3rd & 5th or 2nd & 4th). At one point I lost all gears including reverse only to be rectified by switching off the engine and leaving for 30 seconds before starting. Following numerous telephone calls the prognosis was to change the dual mass flywheel approx. £2000 +vat. Then I got talking to Darren from ATF Mega Flush who came to my garage and flushed out the gearbox oil. The car is now running like an automatic should. Smooth gear change and no revving at constant speed. This saved me a fortune.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

I've got a very similar problem on my Galaxy 2014 Powershift and it's getting to the point now where it feels quite dangerous to drive the car. If driving the car when it's just started then after a couple of minutes I get the 'Transmission Malfunction' warning light and the car revs up and down. I have to then switch the car off and switch it on again after 10 secs or so and everything appears normal. This only happens when the car is cold. I have changed the ATF and filter recently to no avail. I had a garage look at it. A few codes came back on it. 

I have uploaded a copy of the codes. Can anyone shed some light on what it could be. Thanks for your help. 

https://ibb.co/mSLnfyy

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

I have a similar problem with you, except that on my dashboard the tcs turns on and cuts the power of the engine and car cant rev more that 3100 rpm on 5th bad 6th gear.Did you have the same problem?

• 1 year later...

I've had PowerShift Ford galaxies (this being the second) for nearly 12 years.

They are the worst motoring company. The reason why I bought the second Ford Galaxy is because it was cheaper and and I had gathered good knowledge of dealing with it as well that's why.

I sent a complaint to Ford UK but they haven't got back to me, and it has been nearly a year.

II will send them a claim through the court very soon. I think this company should not be allowed to manufacture cars.

I put new gearbox in my new Ford Galaxy and it does have the same problem intermittently. Revs suddenly go up and down leading to engine management light. Turning the engine off off and and then turning the ignition on (not cranking) 2-3 times does temporarily solve the problem but you can't do it on a motorway, can you?

I cannot get my head around the fact that no action has been taken against this company despite PowerShift problems that have now been there for over a decade...

Will update you

This is my second Ford Galaxy in 10 years and I have spent thousands on these cars on PowerShift gearbox. Reason why I bought the second one is because it was cheaper.

I sent them a formal Complaint to Ford UK a year ago and haven't Heard from Ford so far. I will soon send them illegal claim, and you will see it's going to be a big drama in the court.

This company should not be allowed to manufacture cars. Millions have problems with PowerShift..

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 4:51 PM, Raj_Galaxy14 said:

Hi everyone, 

I've got a very similar problem on my Galaxy 2014 Powershift and it's getting to the point now where it feels quite dangerous to drive the car. If driving the car when it's just started then after a couple of minutes I get the 'Transmission Malfunction' warning light and the car revs up and down. I have to then switch the car off and switch it on again after 10 secs or so and everything appears normal. This only happens when the car is cold. I have changed the ATF and filter recently to no avail. I had a garage look at it. A few codes came back on it. 

I have uploaded a copy of the codes. Can anyone shed some light on what it could be. Thanks for your help. 

https://ibb.co/mSLnfyy

Hi did you manage to find the problem for this I have exactly the same problem with my galaxy

@Stef1990 this post was started on the 7th December 2013 and has people posting "they have exactly the same problem", "they have a similar problem" and "they have exactly the same similar problem"

@Raj_Galaxy14 is not going to answer you. They are yet another 'One Post Wonder' who last visited this forum 7th September 2020.

Start a new post in the Galaxy forum, give details of your vehicle, engine type/size is it petrol/diesel. What problem are you having, when did it start, how often does it occur?

On 3/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, unofix said:

@Stef1990 this post was started on the 7th December 2013 and has people posting "they have exactly the same problem", "they have a similar problem" and "they have exactly the same similar problem"

@Raj_Galaxy14 is not going to answer you. They are yet another 'One Post Wonder' who last visited this forum 7th September 2020.

Start a new post in the Galaxy forum, give details of your vehicle, engine type/size is it petrol/diesel. What problem are you having, when did it start, how often does it occur?

Thanks for the advice I have done hopefully Someone replies 🙏 

On 3/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Stef1990 said:

Hi did you manage to find the problem for this I have exactly the same problem with my galaxy

Check the wiring connector for broken/loose wires in the LH front wheel arch. Broken wires can cause comms issues

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2014 at 9:31 PM, KAR said:

Sorry for delay in replying: been on vacation. The problem got worse. Car started to display 'Transmission Limited Function' after which only gears 1+3+5 would work or just 2+4+6. Switch off and on again and all gears worked though initial problems continued. Eventually had to have clutches replaced by Ford dealer. Cost £1200. That fixed problem (1) in original post and initially problems (2) + (3), but (2) + (3) came back. Then one day 'Transmission Limited Function' warning appeared and display said car was in gear 7!!! Car went back to dealer. It took the dealer two weeks to find out what was wrong. It turned out that when the clutch was replaced the speed sensor should have been replaced as well. It then took dealer a few weeks to get the part and fit. Dealer did this free of charge and gave me a free major service. This fixed (2) and (3). Issue (4) continued infrequently until I eventually worked out it was the cooling fan! I have no idea why the issue (4) tapping sound speeds up when the car speeds up because I would have thought the cooling fan would spin constantly, but it only occurs when the fan is on.

I have a exact same problem don't know were to start and finish really confusing what shall I do.

I have Transmission problem with my ford galaxy 2014 . Car started to display 'Transmission Limited Function' after which only gears 1+3+5 would work or just 2+4+6. Switch off and on again and all gears worked though initial problems continued.

don't know what to do can anyone direct me to do the right thing please I have been stuck with this problem for more than 6 months any advice please. 

15 minutes ago, Sidik said:

I have a exact same problem don't know were to start and finish really confusing what shall I do.

this post was started on the 7th December 2013 and has people posting "they have exactly the same problem", "they have a similar problem" and "they have exactly the same similar problem"

So you have the "Exact same Problem" ?

• 1 year later...

So any conclusions? I have nights 2.0 2013 diesel 163 ps 95 k on clock

immaculate condition engine bay spotless and full service history yet on the 2 long trips I have undertaken 150 miles plus I have had issues with gear changes being sticky! Recent trip on pulling in it would not engage reverse until I turned it on and off

hzve had it 3 weeks now and apparently all fluids and filters were changed prior to me picking up - any suggestions as to my next move? 
thanks

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Simonl said:

apparently all fluids and filters were changed prior to me picking up

Are you sure the gearbox oil and filter were changed? If you have any doubts, that would be a good place to start. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Simonl said:

So any conclusions? I have nights 2.0 2013 diesel 163 ps 95 k on clock

immaculate condition engine bay spotless and full service history yet on the 2 long trips I have undertaken 150 miles plus I have had issues with gear changes being sticky! Recent trip on pulling in it would not engage reverse until I turned it on and off

hzve had it 3 weeks now and apparently all fluids and filters were changed prior to me picking up - any suggestions as to my next move? 
thanks

As mentioned further up, check the wiring, especially the comms wiring in the main connector block in the LH front wheel arch.

Make sure battery condition is good

I have a Ford kuga 2019 model. 2.0l diesel power shift. 18000 miles on it and gearbox was serviced last November 2022. 

when starting from cold don’t get no issues once the car reaches its engine temperature I start to get just revs and no drive normally after about driving for 20 mins 

I take my foot off the power and back on and seems to go ok again for a little bit then same problem. 

never happens when it’s cold. 

any ideas anyone. ? 

12 minutes ago, Ste156 said:

any ideas anyone. ? 

Start a brand new thread in the KUGA forum and list the problems and concerns.

this post was started on the 7th December 2013 and has people posting "they have exactly the same problem", "they have a similar problem" and "they have exactly the same similar problem"

• Like 1

Sorry will post now. 

thanks 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ste156 said:

I have a Ford kuga 2019 model. 2.0l diesel power shift. 18000 miles on it and gearbox was serviced last November 2022. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club