Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking to buy a Focus

Kier

Hey, as the title says, I'm looking to buy a Ford Focus in the future, next couple of months hopefully, I dont want to spend too much, maybe 2k, 2.5k at the most.

I dont know much about cars really, so not sure about what I'll be able to get for that kind of money, I've currently got a 2001 Fiat Punto (urg...), so would like something newer if possible, or at least around the same age. I've had a look around and think I can get between £700-£1000 for it, this is included in my 2-2.5k budget by the way.

Does anyone know if its possible (without having to look for ages) to get a decent Focus in this price range? And is there anything I need to look out for when I'm looking at them? Known faults etc.

Thanks for any help.

Hey, as the title says, I'm looking to buy a Ford Focus in the future, next couple of months hopefully, I dont want to spend too much, maybe 2k, 2.5k at the most.

I dont know much about cars really, so not sure about what I'll be able to get for that kind of money, I've currently got a 2001 Fiat Punto (urg...), so would like something newer if possible, or at least around the same age. I've had a look around and think I can get between £700-£1000 for it, this is included in my 2-2.5k budget by the way.

Does anyone know if its possible (without having to look for ages) to get a decent Focus in this price range? And is there anything I need to look out for when I'm looking at them? Known faults etc.

Thanks for any help.

Should be able to get a decent Mk1/facelift diesel for that money. Nothing much to worry about in terms of reliability but DO watch out for rust. Common problems include rust along the boot handle, bottoms of doors, rear wheel arches and around wing mirrors. Also, if you buy anything with mileage approaching 80k then make certain that the cam belt has been changed recently, or get it changed.

A diesel model will give you in the ballpark of 50mpg. I have a MK1 TDDI saloon with 135,000 on it and it drives like the day it came off the production line (albeit with a squeaky aux belt!).

Have a look on autotrader.co.uk to see what's about!

Thanks very much for that :).

One thing I did forget, at the moment I've got a 1.2, which is ok, but looking for something a little faster, but not too much for insurance reasons. (Currently paying £900 a year), are there any engine sizes that are better than others? Not just speed wise, but reliability wise as well. I've seen a 52 plate, 1.8 Zetec on eBay for 1.7k (although the reserve hasn't been met yet), which I like, and insurance is only 1.3k a year (or 1k a year when I turn 20 in a few months...dont think I'll have a new car before then though), but not sure if it will be any good really.

Are there any advatnages to getting a dieseal over petrol? Apart from better MPG? I'll be happy with anything between 30 and 40 around where I live, currently getting 36 without driving too carefully to get it higher etc.

And thanks for the link to autotrader, was bugging me for ages what the site was lol, cheers :)

Not sure on the advantages of petrol/diesel as I'm not greatly technically minded myself. My Focus is my 7th car and the first diesel. I'd driven diesels in the past and they always felt heavy (Astra, Citroen ZX etc) which put me off, but the diesel Focus is great to drive. Saw it on the forecourt, thought it was a Mondeo, realised it wasn't, took it for a test run, bought it there and then. I had each of the other cars for around 12 months each. I've had my focus coming up five years now.

Where I live petrol is about 10p/litre cheaper than diesel so even though you get much better MPG from a diesel it might not necessarily be cheaper any more. All depends how many miles you do. Personally I like being able to do over 500 miles between trips to the petrol station - there's no way you'd do that with a petrol engine.

Also, the amount of miles my car has done, I'm almost certain that had it been a petrol engine, something major and very expensive would have gone wrong with it by now.

The only engine size I'd avoid is the 1.4 petrol as the mpg is pathetic - not even 30mpg. I can only recommend a 1.8 diesel, because that's what I have and I can't fault it.

Thanks for that :)

I'm put off a diesel at the moment, but only due to the fact the only one I've driven is really slow, but then its a Citroen Dispatch, so pretty much a van), I've got a feeling my Grandad has a diesel Focus now I think about it...might speak to him next time I see him.

Petrol is only 7p cheaper around here at the moment, and I'm only driving short distances each year (Done 8k since September 2007), so not sure if its going to save me massive ammounts at the moment.

Might take a drive up to the local Ford garage tomorrow and see what they have, just wondering, as there is all the credit crunch crap going on at the moment...are dealers giving good discounts on used cars to sell them?

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for that :)

I'm put off a diesel at the moment, but only due to the fact the only one I've driven is really slow, but then its a Citroen Dispatch, so pretty much a van), I've got a feeling my Grandad has a diesel Focus now I think about it...might speak to him next time I see him.

Petrol is only 7p cheaper around here at the moment, and I'm only driving short distances each year (Done 8k since September 2007), so not sure if its going to save me massive ammounts at the moment.

Hi Kier

I've just got my Focus 1.8 tddi and it's definately not what you'd call slow. Pulls away great and without any hesitation and can really move when you give it some and I'm getting around 98 miles to the tenner. IMO best car I've ever had, and not bad for a 2001 MK1 :)

Hi another bonus with having diesel is they are very easy to maintain, then have it remapped... you can still do mods to a diesel as you would a petrol, but you gain more from a turbo diesel..

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

Hi another bonus with having diesel is they are very easy to maintain, then have it remapped... you can still do mods to a diesel as you would a petrol, but you gain more from a turbo diesel..

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk

Thanks :), I'm not really into that modding stuff, just a car to get to A to B really.

I've decided to go for a 1.8 TDCi, going to be slightly more, but from the research I've done, it seems like the better model.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, hope to be on here soon with my Focus :)

Thanks :), I'm not really into that modding stuff, just a car to get to A to B really.

I've decided to go for a 1.8 TDCi, going to be slightly more, but from the research I've done, it seems like the better model.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, hope to be on here soon with my Focus :)

IMHO the TDDi is the better choice engine despite being slightly less powerful. The TDCi has inherent problems with the dual mass flywheel that can cost many pennies to sort out when it goes, along with injector problems that hound them also. My TDDi is 104000+ old now and like Whelk says its still as good as the first mile. Kept regularly serviced and filled with good oil and they can seriously see 300,000 - 400,000 miles with no severe issues. Group 4 insurance for a std model you're not going to be robbed for the insurance as you will with the petrols which sit at around group 7.

IMHO the TDDi is the better choice engine despite being slightly less powerful. The TDCi has inherent problems with the dual mass flywheel that can cost many pennies to sort out when it goes, along with injector problems that hound them also. My TDDi is 104000+ old now and like Whelk says its still as good as the first mile. Kept regularly serviced and filled with good oil and they can seriously see 300,000 - 400,000 miles with no severe issues. Group 4 insurance for a std model you're not going to be robbed for the insurance as you will with the petrols which sit at around group 7.

Thanks for that, I'll look into that :)

I'm not too fused about insurance at the moment, I'm currently paying £900 for a 1.2 Punto, with the quotes I've been getting for a 1.8 TDCi, its around £1.2k a year, which I dont think is too bad for 19 with 1 years no claims.

Thanks for that, I'll look into that :)

I'm not too fused about insurance at the moment, I'm currently paying £900 for a 1.2 Punto, with the quotes I've been getting for a 1.8 TDCi, its around £1.2k a year, which I dont think is too bad for 19 with 1 years no claims.

I'd die if mine was anywhere near that lol. Mines £235 fully comp, 35 yrs old full NCB all modifications declared.

• 1 month later...

insurance for the diesels will be higher than for a petrol. i would say a petrol, if your miles are not that high. just make sure that the service history checks out and also at your price, there will be a few cars that have been damaged repaired, cat c and cat d cars. they are cheaper, but decide first if your happy with these type of cars.

• 4 weeks later...
insurance for the diesels will be higher than for a petrol. i would say a petrol, if your miles are not that high. just make sure that the service history checks out and also at your price, there will be a few cars that have been damaged repaired, cat c and cat d cars. they are cheaper, but decide first if your happy with these type of cars.

Sorry for posting in a old thread, couldn't remember the url for a while.

As my insurance is near enough 1k, I dont mind paying extra for it, if it will be a better car (I've not had much luck with my current car, so want to get a decent one this time, and willing to pay extra).

What are the difference between Cat C and Cat D? I dont really know much about cars lol.

Hiya mate,

cat c needs vic check to be put back on road. cat d you just reapply for log book..

steve

www.sr-performance.co.uk