Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo V6 No Power

malkiemac1

Hi All,

New to this here

I have my Mondeo V6 Zetec S 6 speed, recently started having no power at all.

When driving and you get to around 3.5-400 rpm the car makes the big V6 roar but doesn't actually give you the kick which goes with it??? 0-60 in around 30 secs lol no joking and uphill in 6th at 70 the car drops down to under 60 to about 50.

I just changed the leads, plugs coil pack - this only corrected the very slight miss it had nothing with the power??

Checked the IMRC hot and cold functioning correctly, checked and can not hear any rattling from either of the CATS - at my ends wit here not any ideas?

Please HELP!!!

HI BOF,

Not checked the Fuel Filter - would this not also have an impact on idle/ start up etc - the car drives great up till this area of revs.

also where is the filter located - on the rear underside? around the back seats area - is that right I think I recall it was here on my old ST24

thanks

U need check fault codes first find out if problem electrical or mechanical fuel filter good cheap place start always find full service first is best place start if u don't have history cause many people went down road replacing load parts an was fuel or plugs never overlook the basics

• Like 2

Hi Mick

already done the plugs, leads etc - the EML has never been on no codes logged which also doesn't suggest anything like lambas/ emissions etc - very strange one this is

when you say eml never been on/no codes...take it you mean codes have been checked anyway...as not all codes will trigger the eml.....

although you have no rattle in the cats, you still might have a blockage somewhere, may be worth checking, if you can get hold of a back pressure tester it would be the quickest way to test for it, otherwise maybe remove an access port in the manifold if you have one or the front sensor (keep the wiring connected for test) and give it a run see if you have any improvement....oh and some ear muffs :)

i have no idea why the font changed itself and back again whilst writing that?????????

• Like 1

I'd say fuel or air from what you posted so far.

I once had an air filter fitted that need oil coating and it had been over treated with engine oil causing these symptoms, that was before lambda sensors etc tho, I'd expect something like that on a more modern car to throw up a warning light, but if u have a stock air filter and it's new then most likely a fuel delivery problem.

I'm assuming here that the bulb hasn't failed or been removed for the EML?

yes been checked for codes nothing :wacko: - I was also advised to try and disconnect the exhaust before the CAT and take for yes a VERY LOUD run and see if the performance was back - not tried this yet - what do you mean by access port - any idea how I check where this would be?

Also when you say front sensor I expect you mean the front Lamba right?

Would this is faulty also be a cause of the fault or will this tell me if the CAT is faulty/ blocked? i really need a sure fire way of checking the CAT as noted previously there was a miss and i expect unspent fuel made it through the engine to the exit point EXHAUST - i have no pressure test without booking it into the local graverobbers

Thanks M

hi FFoxy - i don't believe there are any issues with the EML Light failing, we did put it on my mates code checker and nothing was logged.

I have checked the air filter and all hosing around this and all seem very tight also no funny noises with the bonnet up only noise from this is on cold start up the usual initial rattle noise for around 1 sec as the oil pumps up over.

Cheers

If u checked faults with decent diagnostic tester an no faults I wouldn be going garage most likely they will just start throwing parts at it until it's fixed maybe an emissions test an fuel pressure check is car revving up to max rpm an car still holding back

very few garages have a back pressure tester...i had to get one from the states myself as they are a very useful tool

access ports are blanking plugs in the exhaust system, not many cars have them but if you have they are used for the purpose of tools such as pressure testers...normally find them in the manifolds or downpipes...tbh, dont think ive ever seen the on euro fords but not worked on a v6 mondeo so maybe they have.

yes, the front lambda, important the electrics are still connected during test so strap it out of harms way whilst giving it a spin.

this will only test for blockage in exhaust, not just the cats either, but if there is a noticable improvement then you can then work to finding exactly where the blockage is.

lambda sensors can be tested with a voltmeter..can give a rundown on how, all you will need is a blowtorch and a voltmeter that measures low volts.

can do a rough test of cats by temperature...compare the temp at inlet and outlet of cat, should be roughly the same...ideally measure with a voltmeter with a temp probe...but this is only a rough test.

the fact you had the miss made me suspect a possible blockage...but its just as plausible that back box for eg has collapsed in on itself...not uncommon and totally unrelated to misfire

Hi Mick

The car will go through the revs, on idle rev right to red line, on driving will go up but very slooooowwwly. it sounds like the V6 - but being passed by 1.0l puddle jumpers

If it won't rev over 4000rpm while driving usual fuel pump knackered this won't bring up fault all time but it's one avenue u need check an rule out

Hi wase16ll,

Some useful info in there - ill start with the easy stuff first i.e. the Lamba out i may when there just disconnect the exhaust totally before the main cat after the downpipe and run it this should also highlight some improved performance - then i can rule out the exhaust - the exhaust it self looks in good condition with no leaks - but you never know whats going on inside!!

cheers

Hi Mick - perhaps a miss type on my part - the car does rev over 4k, but slowly this is my 2nd Zetec s and i also had 3 ST24s prior to this all with the V6 - and this just isn't fun to drive

We'll do as Wase said as this is an easy thing to do at home then let us know ur findings an we see where to go next

get in about this tomorrow evening, and feedback on findings - also getting a second code reader to confirm no codes are present will carry this out first before removing and sensors/ exhaust etc.

Thanks for the info - much obliged

just searched for this...easier than typing it out.

your sensors will be 4 wire not 3 as on the video...just need to connect to signal wire (usually black) and sensor body

If the 1.0 puddle jumper was a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost then your V6 might not be faulty lol!

• Like 1

If the 1.0 puddle jumper was a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost then your V6 might not be faulty lol!

Agreed ;)

Have you checked the inlet and exhaust manifolds for leaks or cracks?

nope not checked anything on the exhaust othere than rattling from the CAT etc no noises when revving stationary, i have had to work away this week so will check all the above advice at the weekend - hopefully can find more info out

thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club