Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Why Are Garden Shed's So Expensive?

jeebowhite

OK so, I was soldering recently, whilst the wife wasnt in, it was fine. but then I started soldering when she got home.... big mistake! long story short, soldering has been banished from the house (I take that to mean as long as she isnt here to catch me...) so I started looking around for a garden shed that I might be able to hide in and do these jobs, and they are so damned expensive! new sheds for like over £100!

I dont have that money, I just need a cheap get me by that has a roof and walls and will stop me being drowned in rain!

Does it make me a cheapskate that I think that a shed costing this much is expensive? I would love to get hold of a shed for under £50, cheaper the better to be honest! but I cant afford as much as all the websites want!

Had a look on gumtree and they still seem to be rather expensive, and you dont seem to get many responses to wanted ad's...

• Like 1

I take it you don't have a garage to do it in either then? How about a gazebo, or do you need something permanent?

And what is it that she doesn't like about soldering indoors?

Build one up bud its not hard you can get timber free from recycle centre plus roofing. Few screws and you're done.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Build one up bud its not hard you can get timber free from recycle centre plus roofing. Few screws and you're done.

Says the chippy :P. There is probably a garden shed tax now that bumps the price up lol. I bought a metal 6x8 shed about 8 years ago was about 180 and its still good, but needs a lick of paint next year. If you buy a decent wooden shed (shiplap not feather edge) and take car of it it will last forever. My old boy has a shed and hes had it since before I was born (I'm 34) it's survived 2 house moves. He mounts it on bricks to keep it off the ground creosotes it every few years and its still as good as new! However they probably "don't make them like they used to"

• Like 1

I take it you don't have a garage to do it in either then? How about a gazebo, or do you need something permanent?

And what is it that she doesn't like about soldering indoors?

I'd guess it's the fumes, not good to breathe in, especially the non-lead free type.

On a side note James, if you must solder indoors, I find that sitting right next to an open window with a desk fan aiming the smoke trail outside really helps prevent most of the fumes from sticking around.

man after my own heart,if i can find a cheaper solution then i will.

right,take a look in the friday ad for your area,free to collector.there is always sheds free in there all the time,some might need a little tlc.

• Like 1

I have wendy house you can have for £50 as my daughter grew out of it 10 years ago. You will have to kneel down to get in it. There is room for a chair but not enough room to sit on it. However it is fully carpeted, has a window and a door. It could be used as an office, provided you only have a laptop and don't mind sitting on the floor.

• Like 2

£100? ..that's 5 times you can send her out of the house with a 20 to 'treat herself'

..soldering done in the house and still in the good books! :D

• Like 1

Lol cheers fella's.

I am tempted to chuck something together, but I cant find any free timber! unfortunately the pikeys seem to get their first!

As for the duke, I am a bit of a tight wad! to be honest though I couldn't justify spending that much money on it to use now and then, especially as we dont have a lot of garden furniture, however if I can build a basic structure myself and for a few pennies, I might do so!

Alex, its the fumes. Even though I was in the dining room, she was in the front room, and the kitchen extractor fan was running after, she didn't like it lol! honestly, she was whinging at me to get out her way, then I did, then she whinged at me that I was doing my own thing! you just cant win!

As for the Friday ad's. I would love to have the time to pop down and disassemble one, but with the wife, and two kids and this close to Christmas, I don't think I will get the opportunity,

I just do it the sneaky way. Most the main bits of soldering are done, so now when she goes to bed, I whip out the iron, do a touch up and then put it away. leaving fumes to disappear over night!

So you like to whip it out, touch something up, clean up, and all while the missus isn't looking?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

Alex, its the fumes. Even though I was in the dining room, she was in the front room, and the kitchen extractor fan was running after, she didn't like it lol! honestly, she was whinging at me to get out her way, then I did, then she whinged at me that I was doing my own thing! you just cant win!

So I take it she goes outside to do things like hairspray, nail varnish or worse, varnish remover! :P

lol, that Clive is exactly how I have to do it! ;)

As for Alex, she doesn't bother with any of that farce anyway!

lol, that Clive is exactly how I have to do it! ;)

As for Alex, she doesn't bother with any of that farce anyway!

Well that can only be a good thing, guess you have no comeback then, lol.

lol, yep, nothing up my sleeve unfortunately! otherwise she can use the shed for all that too!

Lol.. Costs about £400 for me to replace my garages roof... That's with me doing the work and just materials! I think you may have may guided prices... Or your looking at a very small shed?

To be honest, I just want a walk in shelter. I have seen the likes of 3z2 which would be pretty much useless.

All I really want to buy / make / have donated is a shed that I can walk in, close the door, sit down and have a table in front of me that I can then faff with. I might just get bored and make one if I can find the wood and everything dirt cheap, but to be honest, I dont see the point paying out oodles of pounds for it :p

I am a tight wad!

So you like to whip it out, touch something up, clean up, and all while the missus isn't looking?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:lol: :lol: thats exactly how i read it aswell.

what your really saying is 'YOU CANT BE BOTHERED' lazy sod. :rolleyes:

seriously you will be amazed on what is given away in the friday ad,and other publications.

no excuse,ive got 3 kids and ive managed to get the things over time that ive wanted,

you snooze you lose m8,strike while the irons hot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beware though you get a shed next thing she'll be wanting a greenhouse. Now they are expensive, much cheaper to just nip down Asda for your veg.

I will make a "hash" of the outside of it and a good job on the inside, then when she looks at the "ugly" on the outside she wont want any handywork from me ever again :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try freecycle had a few things from there and given away stuff unworthy for eBay but too good to bin

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

Aye, had my eye on some of these, but I got rejected from the freecycle group as I used to be there and apparently didnt give enough away!

Sod's!

Might wait till the new year before I think too hard on it!

James have you tried gumtree?

Yeah had a look but theres nothing there at the moment, and I havent the time to go disassembling some that are miles away. I will probably make this my new year job!