Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S Problem.

tonyuk1974

Hi, I have a 2001 fiesta zetec s 1.6. All was well when I went to work but as I drove home the clutch seemed funny and instantly started slipping badly and I only just have a biting point at the top. clutch peddle seems really soft too. It doesn't seem to slip going in reverse tho but that mite just be me.

Ok whilst writing this I have gone out to my car and now it wont start! Its never not started before and the accelerator seems really soft now like there is nothing there????

Can anyone shed some light on whats happening with my car please

Thanks

The car nearly starts, its firing but just wont stay started. Thanks for your reply

Right first u need check if ur getting fuel an a spark could be knackered fuel pump get an assistant to turn on ignition lift up back seat an see can u hear fuel pump making a noise

Right first u need check if ur getting fuel an a spark could be knackered fuel pump get an assistant to turn on ignition lift up back seat an see can u hear fuel pump making a noise

Seems strange that this has happened like an hour after the clutch went, im sure there must be a link between the two. The car is immaculate and has always been looked after properly.

Yes there is fuel and a spark as it starts and then cuts out immediately. I have little or no pressure on the clutch peddle or accelerator when pressed and they were fine earlier. I cant see any leaks or smell anything like fuel or oil.

Thanks

Right so it firing up for a second and cutting out is this while pressing clutch or accelerator pedal or just on the key is car actually run for a sec

The car will run for maybe a second and then cut out. It makes no difference if my foot is on the clutch or accelerator, it does the same.

U said u accelerator pedal feels different now did u check cable is ok out to throttle body

I will check that in the morning when I can see. Just seeing if anyone has had a similar problem with the clutch going and then the car not starting and the peddles seemly having no resistance. Seems strange that they all go with in an hour of each other and not being linked. Thanks

I take it there is no horrible noise coming from the gearbox side of the engine as if the clutch plate is shattered and catching on the flywheel making it hard to keep turning? As above check accelerator cables, and perhaps the fuel filter, that seems like a pretty big possibility if the engine cuts out straight away, have a look at the air filter as well. As for the clutch if its hydraulic check the fluid and the surrounding area of the bell housing for any signs of leak, if its cable driven then you will have to check the clutch cable as well as it sounds like its snapped or stretched, does the engine run if you give it some revs?

Hi, I have diagnosed the starting and running and that side is now ok. Its just the clutch now, it was ok until I drove home, the clutch biting point was in the middle and had never slipped. It has always had a slight thrush bearing noise but never got bad. Now the clutch biteing point is all the way at the top and and the clutch slips like mad. Can they go all of a sudden like that with no warning? Will changing the clutch, pressure plate and csc rectify the problem? Is there enough clearance to change all the parts with engine and box still in, ie just separate box from engine and get hand in there to undo clutch and csc, ( this is how I do them on Vauxhall's 98 - 07, only 20 min job on those lol ) or will it involve removing gearbox. Thanks and sorry for the bombardment of questions :)

You need clutch an concentric slave cylinder u be a fool with amount of work involved not to replace them both

Thanks, Yeah was going to replace the lot, found complete kit on eBay for £148 which comes with csc, do you think that will solve the clutch problem though? Only ask as it went all of a sudden, no bangs or clunks, no fluid leaks under the car, just seems weird there was no warning. Thanks again

If its hydraulic then its possible that the slave cylinder has failed. Possibly the release bearing has worn through the spring fingers. Until you strip it down, you'll not really be sure what the problem is.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club