Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2004 1.8 Tddi Battery Issue

tonydb

Hi guys ,

I just got his car quite cheap from my uncle. he did tell me about 1 issue he has been having with it though. It was only really used as a work horse on the weekend taking his sons to football etc. But he did say that once every 2 weeks he had to take the battery out and charge it up indoors as it would of died. Now he has had 3 new alternators and 3 new batteries in 4 years so its not those.I've looked on the net and seen many a video about parasitic battery drain ,but if this was the case the small drain it does have to kill the battery in 2 weeks ,shouldn't the driving of the car charge that back up again?

I'm no auto electrician but I am an electrician so ill be performing the multimeter and fuse pulling task over the weekend hopefully ill find something easy to remedy. I really hope this isn't a big issue as this is a really nice car for what I've paid for it.

anyway first time poster and hopefully speak to you soon !!

Thanks !!!

Hi Tony welcome to the club! :)

I would think that if the alternator is working ok (as you said you can check with a multimeter) then it should be charging the battery back up but obviously this will depend on the severity of the drain and how much it is driven. I would say have you tried the obvious things like checking if interior/boot/glove box lights stay on and disconnect the radio (if you have the code).

As Clive said, check its actually the right battery type (silver calcium) if it is and if the alternator is working, then it could be a broken wire. JohnH had a very similar issue, changed both battery and alternator and the problem persisted. His dealer traced it to a damaged wire in the wing / wheel area's that they fixed and the problem was solved :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club