Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Im Thinking Of Buying A Ford Van, Help Please.

Gonky

Hello all and thanks for reading my post.

I am 2 month away from my first years no claims and can re-mot my fiesta.

Basically im looking for a van which is good for a first time van owner. I am saving up and when I get full MoT on my fiesta I will sell that and put the money towards a van.

Does anyone one know what sort of van is reliable and has half decent MPG?

Also what sort of prices should i be looking for? Im not to bothered of the age. My first van has to be quite cheap and while im hear how much could i get for my 1996 Fiesta Mk4 lx ghia 1.3?

Iv been wanting a van for a wile now but I dont know anything about them and what is good or not.

Any help and info will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Depends what you need to ferry around to be honest.

First of all, for your car, with a full service history and excellent condition, you probably wont get a lot, I would say you would be lucky to get £1200, probably closer to the 700 / 800.

If your needing shift a few small things, a fiesta van could do you. Otherwise if your looking at small to medium loads, a Transit Connect could do you, otherwise, larger loads your looking at the full transit.

Prices for vans vary, but you would probably be looking at £1500 upwards for one worth keeping.

The fiesta I have has no service history apart from recipes from everything iv got it since iv had it. The paint work is showing its age but stucktually sound. Had welding done last year and passed with no advisorys. Has a little scabbing on rear wheel arch which I hear is common for fords. Its a good little runner. The fiesta has made me a fan due to how easy and fun they are to drive and reliability plus parts are very cheap.

I would like a medium size van for doing some smaller removals and something big enough to sleep in for when im away as b&b's are a fortune. I think I would use it for removing junk from homes mostly though.

I would be happy with 500 for the fiesta so if you think I can get that I would be happy with that. It is the version with electric windows and central locking etc. Only fiesta iv seen with it. But then again it is the only mk4 ghia I have seen.

so do you both think a Connect is worth investing in? Do you know if the MPG is any good with them?

what sort of milage on the clock shall I look for on a £1.500 connect?

thanks again for the fast replys.

yeah £500 is probably a good call, but be prepared to be bartered down as its had age and welding, if someone who knows what they are talking about comes along they might want more off!

Connect is definately worth looking at, to be honest, for £1500, you would be looking at a medium miler (70 -80k minimum?) and it will probably be older (say 2003 or before). But I am not as clued up on van's as I am with the other motors, so dont take it as gospel lol. just have a look on autotrader and get some idea's.

http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/makemodel/make/ford/search?locationName=Cornworthy&latitude=50.38333&longitude=-3.65&postcode=TQ9

You can buy some fiesta couriers, and older vans for less than £1500 (some for less than 5) but to be honest, you would possibly spend more building them than driving them.

just open that link, change your postcode and have a nosey! the connect is probably where you want to aim, but up to about £2500 is average for an older model, otherwise for a really good one, your looking up to £5k

One thing to check with Connect vans is rear end damage, ones with solid rear doors tend to be reversed into things quite often.

I had one as a patrol vehicle a few years back and found them more than capable but dented the rear bumper a few times and lost a couple of bumper end caps.

I'd say having reversing sensors would be a very prudent move.

Saying that I quite liked my van, nimble and nippy with a nice spacious feeling inside.

Handy fold down passenger seat for longer loads/document tray for couriers etc.

A decent one with a panelled out rear compartment and a side door can be found for a reasonable price.

Ok thanks to you both for the info. I will try and find out about the connect vans as i will try and find which one has half decent MPG for a van.

If I do get one without reverse sensors is it worth installing aftermarket reverse sensors? I dont know how hard they are to install or how good they will be..

Is there any models I should avoid?

Very greatful for your help and fast replys.

aftermarket reverse sensors are simple to fit

as for vans...depends on your budget really.

fiesta/astra type vans...both do a job, no different from the estate versions

vito...personal favourite but prone to bodywork corrosion, especially the white ones, chassis corrosion on the older models ...easily do 250k if looked after

transit...quite good, fuel pump/chain cover oil leak/general fueling problems at 100k+

sprinter...one of the best, but maybe bigger than you want...easily do 300k if looked after

vivaro/primastar/traffic...identical vans, fuel pump problems 100k+, known for g/box issues too, but lovely to drive/comfort etc

connect...same as focus/mondys...good van with usual ford issues

vw's...great vans but silly money...can have g/box problems...200k plus if looked after

kangoos/berlingos...as good as connects, but usual french electric issues

any of the above with a good maintenence record are worth considering

ones to really avoid...fiat...leave well alone no matter how well they've been looked after

Thank you all for you help, you have all been a great help and I will carry on looking and taking all your advice with me. One last question is what van can fit a fridge/freezer or sofa in? I ask this because if I need to help move someones fridge/freezer or sofa I can as they are usually the biggest things to move that people struggle with :)

Iv never seen in the back of a connect so im unsure if it could fit a fridge/freezer, sofa etc.

Thanks again for your help. Extreamly greatful for all your help and info :)

that kind of gear to load, dont think a connect will be big enough, you'll be looking at least a vito, even that might be a bit of a squeeze

Ah ok. Handy to know. So are Vitos any good?

I'll have a look at them. I don't have a clue about vans as I never thought I would want or need one,

I've been in a few transits which the owners say are good but I've never driven one.

Since driving I have found out that having the extra carry space is very handy as I've helped move and moved myself using Cars only which is a right pain.

I don't really want to spend more than £1.500.

I could start off smaller with a connect or something but I don't know how well they hold there value. I would like to do some removals and maybe make a small business out of it and see how it goes.

vito is a great van, i have one myself as its the perfect size/power/fuel economy etc for what i need it for.

not sure a budget of 1500 will get you a decent one though....as said before, they do suffer exterior body corrosion

another van worth a look for what you want and will fall well within your budget...nissan vanette cargo, pick a really good one up for that price, they're downside though is fuel economy...they like a drink

might pay to look at transits to get the best for your money, so many out there that their prices vary wildly for the same spec/year etc...decent vans though if they've been looked after

Thanks for your info, I have been looking at Connects and Transits. I think the Nissan etc would cost a fortune to replace parts and the fuel econamy is a bit of a stinger etc. For a connect is it best to try and get the highest PS modle I can and same with transit T(number)

I had a look at Vito and yes they do cost a arm and a leg ha. I imagine replacing parts would cost a lot more than a Ford also.

• 3 months later...

Save yourself the bother and go buy a sprinter ;)

Hello and I ended up getting a VW caddy, looks pretty rough but I'm thinking of painting it. I do need a much larger van. The Caddy size vans are good for moving small items around but even a 2 seater small sofa stuck out the back :(

I just got it through its MoT so it has 12 months on it.

I would like a van that can move sofas and fridgefreezers etc.

I'm pretty skint now though so can't afford a new van but I will try and save up for one. Not a clue what I can sell my VW Caddy 1.9SDI for :(

Sent from my LT26i using Ford OC mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Depends what you do it! if you look after it, service it well yourself, and get it looking in tip top condition and can provide a load of receipts for showing the car is looked after and almost rebuilt (within reason of course) under your care, you could probably get a very tidy price for it.

At the end of the day, what you put in is what you will get out! I mean look what Wheeler Dealers can get outa there motors! :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club