Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance & Remapping

tom_d

Hi guys,

Just came off the phone with admiral to enquire about how much it was cost if i got the car remapped.

I was told that they do not insure any cars that have been remapped only cars that have an engine chip.

Stupid I know, but my question is to the people that have their cars remapped - who are you with and how much extra did you have to pay for the remap?

Cheers

I be very surprised if anyone would declare it, I wouldn't and havnt in the past. not saying its right but how would they ever know.

• Like 2

I be very surprised if anyone would declare it, I wouldn't and havnt in the past. not saying its right but how would they ever know.

I have thought about just not telling them but I would rather declare it to be honest.

I can imagine it would be hard for them to find out but there must be a way, if my car was wrote off for example and they found out I would be pretty screwed haha

this is the second post on this forum of people saying they wouldn't declare things to insurance, people like you shouldn't be on the roads. if you can't afford to pay a little extra on your insurance then don't modify your car, just think in the event of an accident if your insurance company finds out you didnt declare something then you will liable for all the costs plus get done for having no insurance.

There is no excuse.

Wow rewritten this like 3 times now. Keep pressing the backspace button by accident!!

I work in insurance,

Basically in case you didn't know, insurance prices are based from a guided price (base premium), and then based on the risk you have given us, a percentage is either loaded or discounted depending on the situation. (For example, we take %70 off if you have 9 NCD which was earnt on a UK policy)

For remapping, I'm not quite sure what the percentage is, however we usually go by your previous quoted price. Say for example you got a quote of £1000 from Admiral, we SOMETIMES get a supervisor to try beat the price based on your risk (sometimes based off personalities, not statistics. For example, if you lived in a 'no risk' zone like Scotland, and you had a neutral occupation like an office job, we would set our own price which wasn't quoted up on our screen. It's called the pound scheme, we'd beat your previous quote), we'd do it for like £750.

^That was an example, however if you want me to, on Monday I'll check out the loading percentage for an engine remap?

this is the second post on this forum of people saying they wouldn't declare things to insurance, people like you shouldn't be on the roads. if you can't afford to pay a little extra on your insurance then don't modify your car, just think in the event of an accident if your insurance company finds out you didnt declare something then you will liable for all the costs plus get done for having no insurance.

There is no excuse.

Craig wind yer neck in, next thing you want to tell them you putting nitro+ in yer tank, that ups the performance doest it, dont sit there and dare say people like me shouldn't be on the roads on this forum cos I know you wouldn't dare if I was in front of you. how many cars do you think get remapped then Px in for a newer model, the dealer doesn't know, you dont know what do you do then, I know lets all take our cars to our local remap place and tell them our car feels a bit frisky, can you please plug it in and see if our mapped have being played with cos I need to tell my insurance company.

Final sentence removed due to language - b1g_dav3

No need for language like that on the Forum and it won't be tolerated, please keep this in mind for future posts.

Thank-you.

• Like 2

Wow rewritten this like 3 times now. Keep pressing the backspace button by accident!!

I work in insurance,

Basically in case you didn't know, insurance prices are based from a guided price (base premium), and then based on the risk you have given us, a percentage is either loaded or discounted depending on the situation. (For example, we take %70 off if you have 9 NCD which was earnt on a UK policy)

For remapping, I'm not quite sure what the percentage is, however we usually go by your previous quoted price. Say for example you got a quote of £1000 from Admiral, we SOMETIMES get a supervisor to try beat the price based on your risk (sometimes based off personalities, not statistics. For example, if you lived in a 'no risk' zone like Scotland, and you had a neutral occupation like an office job, we would set our own price which wasn't quoted up on our screen. It's called the pound scheme, we'd beat your previous quote), we'd do it for like £750.

^That was an example, however if you want me to, on Monday I'll check out the loading percentage for an engine remap?

Thanks for that was quite helpful.

If you could look that would be good yeah, I've been looking at quotes for next year and its looking around £600 without a remap so would expect to pay an extra £100 or little extra for the map, was a little shocked when admiral said they would not cover it though.

Who do you work for? Or are you not allowed to say on here?

Thanks for that was quite helpful.

If you could look that would be good yeah, I've been looking at quotes for next year and its looking around £600 without a remap so would expect to pay an extra £100 or little extra for the map, was a little shocked when admiral said they would not cover it though.

Who do you work for? Or are you not allowed to say on here?

No problem, I'll check for you.

I'll PM you in regards to who I work for

No problem, I'll check for you.

I'll PM you in regards to who I work for

Cheers

Craig wind yer neck in, next thing you want to tell them you putting nitro+ in yer tank, that ups the performance doest it, dont sit there and dare say people like me shouldn't be on the roads on this forum cos I know you wouldn't dare if I was in front of you. how many cars do you think get remapped then Px in for a newer model, the dealer doesn't know, you dont know what do you do then, I know lets all take our cars to our local remap place and tell them our car feels a bit frisky, can you please plug it in and see if our mapped have being played with cos I need to tell my insurance company.

No need for language like that on the Forum and it won't be tolerated, please keep this in mind for future posts.

Thank-you.

Nitro just has additives to keep the motor clean, and adds a tiny, tiny bit of performance, a lot less than 5% I'd imagine.

Generally speaking you should declare any modifications, although as you said most don't. The trouble is when the insurance company see's who you are (i.e. if you're considered a high risk group) then the insurance company are likely to look very carefully at the vehicle, especially if bad driving was a factor. They'll look at air filters (replacement panels can often give the game away), and companies can sometimes tell if you have played with the engine.

For example, there are often tamper devices on the ECU itself, so things like stickers for example that may be broken and not replaced. There's also sometimes codes on the ECU that are saved to indicate these things. Good companies usually edit the stock map rather than flashing a custom one on top so that all features are saved and it's harder to tell, but there is usually a digital finger print.

That said, the insurance company might take one look at the car and pay out. Just depends on how vigilant the company is really.

Nitro just has additives to keep the motor clean, and adds a tiny, tiny bit of performance, a lot less than 5% I'd imagine.

Generally speaking you should declare any modifications, although as you said most don't. The trouble is when the insurance company see's who you are (i.e. if you're considered a high risk group) then the insurance company are likely to look very carefully at the vehicle, especially if bad driving was a factor. They'll look at air filters (replacement panels can often give the game away), and companies can sometimes tell if you have played with the engine.

For example, there are often tamper devices on the ECU itself, so things like stickers for example that may be broken and not replaced. There's also sometimes codes on the ECU that are saved to indicate these things. Good companies usually edit the stock map rather than flashing a custom one on top so that all features are saved and it's harder to tell, but there is usually a digital finger print.

That said, the insurance company might take one look at the car and pay out. Just depends on how vigilant the company is really.

Yeah I know that the ECU needs to be took out for my car to be mapped, I'm sure no matter how much care they take it will still looks like its been tampered with, then once they have seen that they would look further and see what has been done?

I don't think I would have the balls to risk it and not tell the insurance haha

I know what you are saying to be true, but I answered a post truthfully, if you were only running a remap i dont think anyone would declare, I am not saying its right and before anyone starts upping the power they need to sort brakes first. It was the way the response I received from one individual was worded that got Me to bite slightly, But remaps give power increases from small to large and 5% is still an increase.

• Like 1

There's a lot of ways that we find out if the vehicle has been modified.I am not allowed to say how, but it goes beyond the actual inspection of your car if you were to make a claim. You'd actually be amazed at the techniques used!

There's a lot of ways that we find out if the vehicle has been modified.I am not allowed to say how, but it goes beyond the actual inspection of your car if you were to make a claim. You'd actually be amazed at the techniques used!

do they check your cloths line for hoodies and baseball caps printed in burberyor check your jocks for "go faster stripes"

No they get there staff to join forums and monitor content of user discussions,

Make you feel good having us guess what you know that we don't in the call centre :lol: you'll fit in well here, there's lots of "my job" people on here your the one from the insurance company.

That's a new one welcome.

• Like 2

do they check your cloths line for hoodies and baseball caps printed in burberyor check your jocks for "go faster stripes"

No they get there staff to join forums and monitor content of user discussions,

Make you feel good having us guess what you know that we don't in the call centre :lol:

Anyone with an exhaust muff and Nike trainers of course ;) haha

• Like 1

Anyone with an exhaust muff and Nike trainers of course ;) haha

Should I phone em up and declare my sparco shoes,

The have a curved heal for easier pressing of pedals aswell as soft soal allowing for acceleration and brake simultaneously on right foot :lol:

• Like 2

Should I phone em up and declare my sparco shoes,

The have a curved heal for easier pressing of pedals aswell as soft soal allowing for acceleration and brake simultaneously on right foot :lol:

Pmsl Lenny

• Like 1

I also wear racing boots, especially on long runs. So much better control and feel, and to be honest far more comfortable than anything else I've worn. Just terrible if you go into a services and the floor is wet...

I also wear racing boots, especially on long runs. So much better control and feel, and to be honest far more comfortable than anything else I've worn. Just terrible if you go into a services and the floor is wet...

+1

Fantastic comfort,

Mine can be saw in the mist jet washer fitting guide,

I bought them at a top gear show :)

There swade black and sandy sort of colour, go well with dark jeans.

Just a killer walking on gravel

Check me out yo

Image0928.jpg

Thank-you.

your having a go at me you said you wouldn't tell insurance and haven't

in the past for re-maps its people who do things like that who give all

car modifiers a bad name and what i said wasn't just aimed at you as i have seen others saying they don't or wouldn't declare mods on this forum. Oh and yes i would tell you to your face cos its wrong people with un-declared mods have no right to use public roads as they are un-insured.

Look just like normal shoes if out and about, but wet tiles are their downfall.

Ow yes,

I got caught out trying to push a full shopping trolley around the isles in tesco a few times :lol: no traction to turn the trolley

car modifiers a bad name and what i said wasn't just aimed at you as i have seen others saying they don't or wouldn't declare mods on this forum. Oh and yes i would tell you to your face cos its wrong people with un-declared mods have no right to use public roads as they are un-insured.

This is true.

Insurers mainly want to know so they can cover the cost of the modification, as usually the price/attractiveness of your car is higher, so if your car was damaged, or stolen you'll be covered.

Craig believe me you wouldn't, if you did you would regret it it. I take it as a person assault on myself and I have always paid for my insurance for many years. I have drove cars since the age of ten and bikes since the age of six, you don't know me and if you did I would not have a problem as everyone is entitled to there opinion but to judge me for a honest post is wrong. If you still have a problem with this pm me and I will give you my address so we can settle this how you would like.

just out of interest what modifications have you done and declared or not declared.

• Like 2

Guys, can I ask we keep to light hearted banter please.

Physical threats will not be tolerated and any further threats will result in further action being taken by the staff.

On another note, I've declared all my mods in the past, even down to colour coded grilles etc... Didn't add anything to the cost as it's all cosmetic. I had a slight hike in price when I declared my tuning box on my old car... But nothing major!

It's always worth it, as some police will also go over the car with a fine tooth comb, especially ones that are interested in modifying (and believe me there are a few!) and will happily seize your car or prohibit it from moving until insurance is sorted.

Only known of it to happen once of twice but it has happened.

• Like 1