Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led Cabin Light Problems..

Mikey923

Hi guys, recently replaced my internal cabin lights with LEDs and when I set it on the "middle setting" so that the lights will turn on when I open the car with the remote keys.. But it seems that they don't turn off fully? The light stays on but ever so slightly.

I have to turn the lights off completely so that they won't stay on.. And this means the car won't light up because I can't have it on the middle setting! Any ideas?

because led's do not pull the same power you will need a resistor fitting.

• Like 1

It could just be picking up residual charge, as they use so little. If you turn the car off and come back to it later, have they gone out?

• 2 weeks later...

don't worry mine do the same ...

Why do yours? Do you just leave them on or do you have them turned off fully?

I bought Canbus friendly ones off e-bay that work perfectly for about £4 the pair!

I bought Canbus friendly ones off e-bay that work perfectly for about £4 the pair!

I did the exact same! They work perfect don't besides the side effect!

they have a faint glow even when there fully off I've had 3 different sets in 3 different types they all do it I don't know why but its never been a problem for me

they have a faint glow even when there fully off I've had 3 different sets in 3 different types they all do it I don't know why but its never been a problem for me

So it's not putting a drain on your battery?

No doesn't seem to

Might try it out on mine so.. Jump leads at the ready!

to be honest, if you have an LED light on, you would need to leave the car for about 2 weeks without starting it and the light lit before the battery would be draining / drained!

• Like 1

These are mine when they're set to come on when the doors open -

post-45051-138850979025_thumb.jpg

post-45051-138850981256_thumb.jpg

And when they're on fully! -

post-45051-138850989101_thumb.jpg

post-45051-138850991742_thumb.jpg

Is that the lights on when the doors are closed? or just after the door is open?

The first pictures are when the doors are closed

Yeah that is exactly what all of mine have done no matter what type of led bulb it is ......

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Ford OC mobile app

It sounds like there is too much residual power running around the electrics which the LED is using to power from.

• 5 months later...

The problem of glowing LED Bulbs is one I have encountered on cars with interior lamps with a delay circuit.

The delay system causes a small residual current to be present at the bulb even when the lamp is 'off'

Normally, the tungsten bulb has enough resistance to prevent the glowing when the circuit is 'off'.

However, LEDs have very little internal resistance and so glow slightly even when the delay timer is 'off'.

I have cured this in the past by soldering a small 'Grain of Wheat' bulb (as used by modellers and which is rated at less than 0.5 watt) across the LED bulb. (Make sure the bulb is 12 volt as they come in various voltages)

This is just enough resistance to control the residual current and stops the LED glowing.

It should be enough to do this to just one of the bulbs if you have a system with more than one interior lamp controlled by the delay unit.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...