Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2002 Key Fob Question

F6MKS

My wife has a 2002 Focus. The key fob buttons have finally worn out so they no longer "click" and open and lock the doors.

Is she able to purchase a key fob from eBay, attach the original key to the new fob and then follow the programming technique i.e. 4 turns in the ignition etc?

Will this work or I am missing another step or not aware of another potential issue?

Thanks In advance for any help

To have a fully functional key you will need the original blade and immobiliser transferred to the new fob.

After that reprogramming the fob to the central locking takes seconds.

I have the original blade. Please can you explain how to transfer the immobiliser over to the new fob?

Thanks

Edit....

I've just found the following thread on the forum>> http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t44205.html

Can anyone confirm.....

I need to remove the transponder (the small glass tube) and place this in the new fob. (does this literally just sit in the fob? Is it physically connected to anything?)

Then connect the original blade to the new fob,

Then reprogram.

You use a small screwdriver to carefully slide the glass tube out.

It's usually in a thin rubber sleeve.

Just to clarify my understanding.......

The glass tube is simply re-inserted into the new fob? This takes care of the immobiliser.

The reprogramming is to then re sync the new circuit in the new fob with the car?

I assume great care is needed with the glass tube, Does this normally come out easily or is it a struggle? Can anyone offer any experience?

Alternatively you can buy just a transponder that you can code to the car, just a lock, unlock and boot button set if you don't want to buy the car key.

• 2 weeks later...

The chip looks like this

and can be found in a rubber sleeve in the bottom half of the key next to where the battery sits, and needs to be inserted with the coil facing out from the rubber sleeve

post-41018-0-50995400-1388344925_thumb.j

post-41018-0-29723200-1388345073_thumb.j

Just to update this thread.

I purchased a replacement key off eBay.

As it was only the buttons that were broken I replaced the half of the key with the buttons and then reprogrammed the key and it worked fine

• Like 4

Nice and easy, the best kind of fix there is :)

Sweet! Glad I found this thread as I'm having the same issues with mine!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club