Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Write Off Value

swhite87

Car recently had a run in with a 12 ton lorry whilst parked up at work, only thing is the insurance (hasting's) have said that there's a 90% chance it will be a total loss, needs front wing,bumper,headlight,grill and bonnet.

just hoping that they don't take the p#@s when it comes to making me an offer,

if anyone has any idea what its worth it would be a great help as a bartering tool

car is a mk3 2.0 tdci 130 6 speed with 132600 miles, fsh, new clutch with dmf and no other damage atall

many thanks

Honestly I don't think they take into account what's been done to the car... I.e new clutch etc... But what ever they offer you, don't take it.. Say it's worth more than that... When the girlfriend wrote her ford off, they gave her a price, and I said its worth more than that... And then the guy on the phone went onto Autotrader.. Had a look at the cars going to the same car/year/mileage and condition, and gave her a price to match... I didn't know they could do that until he did lol.

As Gaz said, you need to look on autotrader for similar car, similar value. As mentioned, you could have a brand new engine, gearbox and clutch and it probably wont affect the price at all. Once they pay out though, it should be yours to keep so you can strip it, sell the new parts and then get the scrap value.

Yeah if look around that.. but I got the impression once they pay out the car then belomg to the insurance company.. hense why they ask for v5 etc.. but they do often offer for you to buy the car back off them for cheap.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

I suppose it depends on the value I guess. I had a guy at work had his grandad car got run into. The door was crumpled in and the insurance said it was uneconomical to repair. I guess for that reason they just gave him a cheque for the value of the car. Maybe its just the difference between not wanting to repair and a full write off?

It usually depends on the write off classification they put on it.

A - Usually fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged, or severely damaged with no servicable parts - must be crushed.

B - Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage - must only be parted out.

C - Damaged, but repairable. Generally applied to older vehicles.

D - Slightly damaged sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid or high cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair.

cheers for the info so far guys, well it was collected for assesment this evening soshould know soon,

made a call to the local dealer and the wing,bumper and headlight came to just under £700 so by the time paint and labour are added on i think i can safely say its probably gonna be a cat c,

i suppose the only plus to it is that it wasnt my fault, just a shame they gave me a new astra for a hire car (2.0 cdti 165bhp) that drinks diesellike its going out of fashion

let us know how it goes! often you can barter with the insurer, get them to pay X of the bill that they are willing to and you will pay the rest?

well so far it's looking like i won't get an answer this side of xmas so will keep you updated

btw if anybody is selling a tidy diesel in the south/west wales/somerset/hereford or gloucester area i may be interested quite soon

Funny i just brought my 2nd mondeo that had got hit and driver drove off,informed police etc but they couldnt do nothing.phoned insurance,they said its a write off because the cost of the repair is more than 90 % value of the car,so i went down my local scrappy paid £90 quid in parts lucky same colour fitted myself sweet as a nut now and no claim made

• 3 weeks later...

update:

well the car was inspected on the 27th of december nd i rell am not happy atall, it has been clssed as a cat C with damage to: front bumper, o/s front wing, both headlights, bonnet, front grille, o/s front wheel

they have valued the repairs at £1650

what has annoyed me the most is that the "engineer" has stated that it was in below average pre accident condition, all was imculate apart from the gearstick gaiter being worn. and that there are dents on the front n/s door (luckily i took pictures of every panel about 15 minutes before collection,

i have requested that another inspection be carried out (in my presence) and that thes issues are sorted very soon,

will keep you all posted on the progress

(on a lighter note i have seen a 52plate 2.0 tdci 130 ghia x for jst under £1100 with 115k on the clock)

When my son's car was written off he considered buying it back off the insurers to sell the parts, didn't in the end as too much like hard work and would still have to get rid of the chassis/remains. The insurers valued it at £1850 and he could have bought it back for around £700 so they would have sent him a cheque for the balance.

He got a good deal on his as it was in immaculate condition and not "messed" with (Saxo VTS) the loss adjuster even commented on the condition of it. She checked autotrader and found how rare good ones are.

Good luck with your claim and look forward to your new car

(on a lighter note i have seen a 52plate 2.0 tdci 130 ghia x for jst under £1100 with 115k on the clock)

Be ultra-careful with that. It's right in the sweet-spot for problems with the injectors, DMF etc. The last thing you want is a massive repair bill (you wouldn't get much change out of £1500 for the lot) so make sure to find out if those things have been done recently. If they haven't, I wouldn't touch it.

I would agree that you should argue the price of the cars valuation. Do your homework and send them examples of why you believe they are tlaking from their rear end and let them reconsider it!

well their first offer is £1200, have told them that i am in the process of getting independent quotes so will see how it pan's out,

by the time the excess and final premium have been deducted it leaves me with £ 875 (solicitors will be claiming excess back though)

Refuse the offer. Find similar prices and insist on more.

Why are solicitors getting involved?

Solicitors have to claim back your excess from the other side plus any other out of pocket expenses. Just make sure you keep receipts for everything to max out your claim.